Youth Academy News

Sevco zombie

Daily Record has Saints as being involved in discussion about not being involved in the new youth set up - http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sfas-project-brave-faces-full-10372547

Anyone on here with a bit of knowledge about this who is able to explain what the consequences would be of Saints not being involved in this and not having "elite status"? Can't the club just carry on running its own youth system in its own way? Also, regional academies - would there be any benefit to Saints in setting up a joint one with the other Tayside clubs?

Anyone on here with a bit of knowledge about this who is able to explain what the consequences would be of Saints not being involved in this and not having "elite status"? Can't the club just carry on running its own youth system in its own way? Also, regional academies - would there be any benefit to Saints in setting up a joint one with the other Tayside clubs?

If it was to go to regional academy, then it would be sfa run, and geared up for performance school kids, also with the Tayside clubs it wouldn't work.

I had heard about this breakaway group and I think it's right that they do this, the criteria for project brave is far to expensive and unrealistic for smaller clubs. 

Saints do not have elite status, but are on course to win the 17s league again and are still undefeated, the 16s who play against elite sides have only lost once, but even with being so good because they are not in the elite league and nobody in performance schools their players do not get anywhere near a Scotland squad, only Scotland school squads.

Also been hearing saints now have a clear plan for bringing through youth to the first team, if it all works out you are going to be blessed with some of the best young players you've ever seen,, 

The academy isn't perfect but the coaching is excellent they play some great football and given the right opportunities and some other things saints academy will provide a lot of players to the first team. 

I think there is a 16s game on Wednesday againsts Partick thistle on the astro, come along and see for yourself 

The SFA Acadamies are not linked to pro clubs. Although trials are open to all, just about every boy that gets in is pro-youth, and the SFA have scouts watching players well before the application process and will actively approach  families and encourage them to apply

Saints are not 'elite' yet Ayr are. I find that strange. It's true that Saints are doing well in the older age groups. I remember though that at u-11 and u-12 they would lose most weeks, often heavily

This is probably affected by the catchment area, with boys and families willing to travel a bit further as they get older. I know a few boys from the Edinburgh area who have been at Saints, perhaps having been missed or overlooked by Hibs and Hearts

Whether both or either of the pro-youth or SFA Acadamies will be successful in bringing through a greater number of players better equipped for the modern game is still to be seen. I know the SFA think that it could be 2020 at least before the benefits begin to be seen

The SFA Acadamies are not linked to pro clubs. Although trials are open to all, just about every boy that gets in is pro-youth, and the SFA have scouts watching players well before the application process and will actively approach  families and encourage them to apply

Saints are not 'elite' yet Ayr are. I find that strange. It's true that Saints are doing well in the older age groups. I remember though that at u-11 and u-12 they would lose most weeks, often heavily

This is probably affected by the catchment area, with boys and families willing to travel a bit further as they get older. I know a few boys from the Edinburgh area who have been at Saints, perhaps having been missed or overlooked by Hibs and Hearts

Whether both or either of the pro-youth or SFA Acadamies will be successful in bringing through a greater number of players better equipped for the modern game is still to be seen. I know the SFA think that it could be 2020 at least before the benefits begin to be seen

The Ayr one was weird, both asked for extension to meet criteria,saints were refused Ayr were allowed it I think it was to do with full time physio, personally I think if your in the premier league then your youth teams should be playing other premier league teams with other teams like fvfa St mirren Dundee utd all invited in, basically your top 16 clubs in Scotland but with realistic criteria for getting in to it 

This Sunday the u17s are away to celtic, if they win the will win the league title for the second year on the trot

What time and where? My laddie is playing Celtic on Sunday too (u-13's) at Barrowfield. 11am kick off

There are rumours kicking about that they might be actually getting to play the game on the pitch at Parkhead

Some interesting on replies here to @garydavidson post. On the regional academy, I either heard or read elsewhere at the time when they were creating another two elite spots that the SFA tried to push Saints and Dundee (who were both applying) together to create a Tayside academy.

How many elite clubs are there at the moment and how often do Saints get to play them, if at all?

Some interesting on replies here to @garydavidson post. On the regional academy, I either heard or read elsewhere at the time when they were creating another two elite spots that the SFA tried to push Saints and Dundee (who were both applying) together to create a Tayside academy.

How many elite clubs are there at the moment and how often do Saints get to play them, if at all?

Hibs play Hearts, Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, Killie, Ayr, Partick, Motherwell, Forth Valley, Fife Elite, Hamilton and St Mirren

Did also play Saints, Dundee, Morton and Clyde up to u-12, but not now at u-13

• 3 weeks later...

U17's Retained the league title despite their first and only loss in 2 years to Celtic.

Also won the St.Andrews Trophy.

Well done.

3 of the group have received International recognition.

9 of the age group are about to sign full time contracts and move up to u20 level.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My feeling with our development squad is that we do it the right way. That means we lose a lot of games because we have very young, very raw guys playing. Fair enough. Players come through the system.

It's a shame then that we've not been awarded "Elite" status in this Project Brave reform, so we'll likely have to cut some youth teams and will have our best youngsters forced away from us to join one of the eight elite sides. 

I'll give you hint, that Aberdeen (who's record of youth development is laughable), are the only team awarded elite status outwith Edinburgh or Glasgow. 

Welcome to the end of Scottish Football. 

Should it be any surprise that we are not given this status

We currently complete as CAS Level 2 so there was more chance of Ayr United or the Forth Valley/Fife Elite Academies getting into this as there was us.

I don't see that there will be much difference. 

And the comment that Aberdeen are poor at youth development - they currently sit 4th of the U20 League, Top of the U17/16 League and 2nd in U15 ............ i would be ecstatic if we where in the elite tier and in those positions 

I wasn't expecting Saints to make the elite level and indeed Gordon Waddell, who has been on top of this for the best part of a year, suggested we'd given up on the process back in the autumn. I'm not sure it will have much effect on Saints, especially with neither United or Dundee involved either. We should still be in a strong position to sign the best local talent, more so if we can create a pathway to the first team squad.

No clubs from the Highlands, Central, Tayside or Fife regions does make a bit of a mockery of the best versus best stuff though.

Guest ScottMann

I wasn't expecting Saints to make the elite level and indeed Gordon Waddell, who has been on top of this for the best part of a year, suggested we'd given up on the process back in the autumn. I'm not sure it will have much effect on Saints, especially with neither United or Dundee involved either. We should still be in a strong position to sign the best local talent, more so if we can create a pathway to the first team squad.

Not clubs from the Central, Tayside or Fife regions does make a bit of a mockery of the best versus best stuff though.

Ra Gers and ra Celts are there so it is the best v the best in their eyes.