Youth Academy News

Sevco zombie

Can't recall the full story but I remember Geoff wanting to build an indoor facility behind the East Stand many years ago and it not being allowed by either local planning or the SFA for some strange reason. We were far too progressive for some folk at one stage!

I remember that, the SFA were looking at funding an indoor arena, think it ended up opposite Hampden instead, but the stipulation that the arena had to ne suitable for international games meant the steelwork was going to be over £12 million.

Do you mean that every youth team had to play that formation, or literally every single team including senior teams? I just don't see how that would work. It would mean managers in top level matches wouldn't be able to change their system during a match that was going badly, for example. If that's the case then I'm very glad they haven't adopted it in Scotland.

They were actually saying every Belgian club form youth right through to international.

It was on the radio some Technical Director form the Belgian FA had been over for a seminar.

This article on BBC says it was all 1500 youth teams but this guy said it was pro clubs aswell.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/27827569

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jun/06/belgium-blueprint-gave-birth-golden-generation-world-cup

Guest ScottMann

I remember that, the SFA were looking at funding an indoor arena, think it ended up opposite Hampden instead, but the stipulation that the arena had to ne suitable for international games meant the steelwork was going to be over £12 million.

The cost of steel bit rings a bell. Think the SFA changed requirements, priced us out and Glasgow/west benefited instead. Of course that sort of thing would never happen nowadays. :shock:

• 3 months later...

it has been a while but  hopefully this time i can keep you more up to date with the youth at st johnstone and results.

The u17s are into the final part of the season ,with  losses to Ross county and Morton away ,as far as i know there  was a few younger lads in these squads due to some injuries , some older ones going with the 20s ,and he who cant be named  had  the mumps and was told to stay away from the ground so that saved a trip to dingwall and a very cold snowy trip to greenock .

these games were followed up with a home game against alloa ,and saints ran out 2 0 winners with goals from O HAMILTON AND J NORTHCOTT,mini sevco played his first game in about 3 months and set up Mr Hamilton nicely for him to chip the keeper ,Mr northcott scored a nice goal also giving saints a deserved win .

yesterday we were of down to Airdrie for what is usually a very physical and difficult game .Saints took the lead after 38 mins with a deft through ball from MR H with mini sevco scoring his first goal in a good while this was followed up with a 2 goals either side of half time from Mr wolley then another goal from mini , with Mr H feeling left out he decided to score two of his own in the space of two mins Saints won the game 6 0 .

This Tuesday the 16s are playing rangers at murry park and next Sunday the 17s are at home to Celtic ,and a victory on Sunday would make my 7th 38 birthday a very good one  .

two players from the 17s ,mini sevco and Mr wolley are both now full time at saints and  now in the 20s squads for development games ,Mr w has been in squads for a while now and has had some playing time already ,mini and Mr w both came on against hibs and handled themselves very well last Tuesday. 

after this seasons the 17s will be no more ,project brave has started with games now played jan to nov with squads now ending at 16s instead of the jump from 15s to 17s .the jump is now 16 to 18s and the 20s will also be no more with the introduction of what i hear will be u23 squads .

• 3 weeks later...

there has only been one game in the last few weeks due to the snow ,with the u17s travelling to dumfries to face queen of the south ,due to other commitments i was not able to travel to the game as i thought watching the old firm game was a better choice ,but it turned out i was damned if i do or didn't,as queen of the south won the game 4 1 ,with the lad scoring the goal for saints ,there was a few of the younger boys in the starting squad so good experience for them  ,this week its derby weekend with the youth squads playing Dundee on Saturday and Sunday,the 15s are at home on sat with a 12pm KO think the 16s are at home on Sunday with the 14s and 17s away on Sunday playing in scumdee    

A wee trip to Dundee after a night out is never a good idea ,specially after 4 hours sleep ,but this time it was well worth it .

the sun was out the wind was gusty and the long johns were on ,the game started of at some pace with saints playing some very good football ,the opening goal after about ten minutes came out of nothing ,with my lad winning the ball in midfield ,with his back to the goal he played it over the midfielders head and turned him brought the ball under control beat another player and struck the ball from about 22 yards into the bottom corner ,one of the best hes scored ,the game was still going at some pace but saints were comfortable until out the blue Dundee played a long ball forward which got caught in the wind and the saints defender was caught underneath it ,the Dundee striker was quicker to react and scored .

a facial injury to deastie meant he was forced off and had to go to hospital for stitches ,but soon after saints were 2 1 up ,when the lad won the ball and put it on to his left foot with an inch perfect cross to young Jordan northcott who timed his run perfect and for a wee man he cant half jump ,rose and scored with the header .

then disaster saints down to ten men when Ross the keeper was sent off for handling outside the box ,Kyle woolly was the man to take his place in goal and saved the resulting free kick ,half time 2 1

second half so saints play against the wind and with ten men so we had an idea Dundee would attack a lot and we would hit them on the counter ,saints defended so well but Dundee leveled with about ten minutes to go  ,i did think the heads would go down but did they hell saints managed to get further up the park and the lad picked up the ball and lifted the head to play a superb ball to Jordan northcott who was running in on the angle and his  first touch and control was brilliant enough to give him the right angle to shot and score to make it 3 2.

and thats how the game finished an outstanding display from each member of the team from front to back they all worked so hard for each other .

the younger lads also won winning 4 2 ,so a good day for the saints youth in the derby games .

• 3 weeks later...

last week saw saints take on Stirling in Perth ,and they won the game six nil ,Olly Hamilton grabbed 3   and missed a penalty ,so when saints were awarded another penalty young Jordan northcott grabbed the ball and scored it  ,Chris cant mind his second name also grabbed 2 in a very easy game against very poor opposition.

this week they are away to livi with a 10 am KO .

rumors and thats what they are , is that 6 members of the 17s are to be offered full time contracts ,also the u18 games will be played on a Friday .

i hate this part of the season when contracts are due to be handed out ,very worrying time for all players and parents    

10 minutes ago, sevcozombie2 said:

last week saw saints take on Stirling in Perth ,and they won the game six nil ,Olly Hamilton grabbed 3   and missed a penalty ,so when saints were awarded another penalty young Jordan northcott grabbed the ball and scored it  ,Chris cant mind his second name also grabbed 2 in a very easy game against very poor opposition.

this week they are away to livi with a 10 am KO .

rumors and thats what they are , is that 6 members of the 17s are to be offered full time contracts ,also the u18 games will be played on a Friday .

i hate this part of the season when contracts are due to be handed out ,very worrying time for all players and parents    

Yeah,must be hard finding your dream is dead but there could be opportunities at lesser teams & a few still make it.

On 13/04/2018 at 8:17 PM, Cagey said:

Yeah,must be hard finding your dream is dead but there could be opportunities at lesser teams & a few still make it.

the dream is never dead and i know players who have gone to bigger clubs after being released ,its all about points off view.

u17s are at home to queens park this Sunday 

• 3 weeks later...

the last two games for saints have seen narrow defeats against queens park and elgin ,both games were a games of two halves in saints defense a lot of 16s have been given a chance to play ,and you could see it was a bit much for them at times ,but they learn from it .

training is now finished for the 17s but there are still 3 games to play ,first is on Friday away to Stirling ,the next is on Sunday at home to inverness and their is a game against Celtic which is at home but no details as of yet .

• 2 months later...

As always, appreciate the updates from @sevcozombie2 and @HOODLUM65 on youth issues.

Does @sevcozombie2 know how many teams are in the new U18 League and will home games be played on main McDiarmid pitch or the artificial pitch? If the kick-offs will regularly be 7:00pm, it could attract fans as the new Reserve League is hardly convenient at 2:00pm on a Monday afternoon.

Disappointed the club haven't put anything on official site about the new intake of players.