Alex Rennie

Templar Saint

Alex Rennie one of the all time greats. A player who could play in any position and never let us down.

He arrived at Muirton in late October 1967 from Stirling Albion in a swap deal forĀ Bruce Munro (ex Kinnoull Juniors). Munro I think on his debut for Albion scored 2 goals against Rangers. We at the time thought what has Ormond done but as we were to learn he didnā€™t make bad signings. To begin with AlexĀ was mainly in the reserves but you could tell he was a talented player. I donā€™t think that Willie Ormond knew what his best position was and I remember him playing centre forward against Keith in a Dewar Shield match and scoring a hat trick. In a match against Morton in late 68 Saints were 3-0 down and put Rennie up front and he scored 2 goals but unfortunately that was not enough. This was a time that you could see Saints were beginning to click and soon went on winning run with a settled team which didnā€™t include him but he was in the 13 or 14 manĀ squad,Ā there was only one substitute then, no Saints fan was ever disappointed if he was playing.Ā It wasnā€™t until the end of season 70-71Ā that he became an automatic choice and played in the 2-0Ā win against Rangers at Ibrox to clinch third place. He also was in the team against Real Madrid at the Bernabeu

His winning goalĀ against Rangers will never be forgotten by the Saints supporters who witnessed it. Interestingly enough at that time if both teams strips were the same colour the home team changed, something that annoyed my father no end.

On a lighter note does anybody else remember the Alex RennieĀ song. Which was a take off of the Piglets Johnny Reggae,

Here comes Alex Rennie, Alex Alex Rennie, Alex Rennie score a goal.

I donā€™t know if there were any more lines to the song.

As for his time as manager after getting promoted to the Premier League it was always an uphill struggle with a part time team and little money for players. If only Saints had held out in the Scottish Cup match against Rangers. We did beat Celtic at Muirton and Hibs at Easter Road in the League Cup and beating Hearts in the race for First Division Championship being some of the highlights.

Remembering You Alex Alex Rennie. Thanks

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

6 minutes ago, HALLS ANGEL said:

Alex Rennie one of the all time greats. A player who could play in any position and never let us down.

He arrived at Muirton in late October 1967 from Stirling Albion in a swap deal forĀ Bruce Munro (ex Kinnoull Juniors). Munro I think on his debut for Albion scored 2 goals against Rangers. We at the time thought what has Ormond done but as we were to learn he didnā€™t make bad signings. To begin with AlexĀ was mainly in the reserves but you could tell he was a talented player. I donā€™t think that Willie Ormond knew what his best position was and I remember him playing centre forward against Keith in a Dewar Shield match and scoring a hat trick. In a match against Morton in late 68 Saints were 3-0 down and put Rennie up front and he scored 2 goals but unfortunately that was not enough. This was a time that you could see Saints were beginning to click and soon went on winning run with a settled team which didnā€™t include him but he was in the 13 or 14 manĀ squad,Ā there was only one substitute then, no Saints fan was ever disappointed if he was playing.Ā It wasnā€™t until the end of season 70-71Ā that he became an automatic choice and played in the 2-0Ā win against Rangers at Ibrox to clinch third place. He also was in the team against Real Madrid at the Bernabeu

His winning goalĀ against Rangers will never be forgotten by the Saints supporters who witnessed it. Interestingly enough at that time if both teams strips were the same colour the home team changed, something that annoyed my father no end.

On a lighter note does anybody else remember the Alex RennieĀ song. Which was a take off of the Piglets Johnny Reggae,

Here comes Alex Rennie, Alex Alex Rennie, Alex Rennie score a goal.

I donā€™t know if there were any more lines to the song.

As for his time as manager after getting promoted to the Premier League it was always an uphill struggle with a part time team and little money for players. If only Saints had held out in the Scottish Cup match against Rangers. We did beat Celtic at Muirton and Hibs at Easter Road in the League Cup and beating Hearts in the race for First Division Championship being some of the highlights.

Remembering You Alex Alex Rennie. Thanks

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Fantastic post. Respect.