St Johnstone v Hibernian, Friday 16th March @ 19.45 Match Thread

PanamaSaint

42 minutes ago, Wendy Saints said:

The media in general brand as a physical side .. then you have idiots like Leveine mouthing off about us being dirty.. funny how half our team are injured due to other folks thuggery!?

you can be sure even if we are 'physical' we will be punished unlike other teams! COYS nobody likes us we don't care! 

Glad I'm not the only one who see's this. I think Tommy has to address this with some Mourinho style facts!  Surely we have a right to contest the media, refs and misplaced reputation!

It's as if some folk have never watched a game before. You can argue the tackle by Alston should be a red card offence but under the laws it clearly isn't. Every single team in the world will have committed the same foul at some point.

Enjoyed the game and the performance from Saints. Another point towards safety and positives to take in the performances of the likes of Tanser, Kane and Williams.

Not going to say I enjoyed it at the time but will do when I watch it back. When you are a man up for so long and a goal down the pressure watching it is incredible so imagine how the players feel? That's why I was so happy how patient we were. Never once did we resort to punting it, even with 3 strikers on. 

Williams was a great substitution and looks a real talented player. Tanser despite being poor in the tackle a couple of times gave a great outlet down the left and was so unlucky with his free kick again. Kane again missed some of his easier chances but a hell of a goal we scored, great build up play and a top top finish. His overall games improved so much lately, bullying defenders and his holdup and link play is now coming on. Glad we're showing faith in him.

Having watched the game at McDairmid I came home to view the recorded BT match and can only agree with many on here that we get unfairly treated by both the officials and media. 

Although this has always been the case over many seasons, I've lost count the number of times a Saints player is booked for a foul, but a player from the opposition commits an equally or worse foul and doesn't get punished! Although this happens to every team at some point, we do seem to get more than our fair share.

It's even more frustrating when the pundits on TV highlight, as in Alston's tackle on McGinn that this should be a red card, then completely ignore the equally bad tackle McGinn made on Wotherspoon! 

Saints received five bookings last night with Hibs receiving one, referee called most correctly, but Liam Craig was booked for dissent whilst many Hibs players were able to confront both the ref and his assistants without being punished or mentioned by pundits or media, Several other challenges went unpunished or were never mentioned including McGinn's challenge and a shoulder / elbow blow to Liam Craig which was similar to the challenge deemed red in the recent televised match. 

For the many people who say " it will even itself out over the season" I can tell you having watched Saints for many years, it hasn't evened itself out over my lifetime far less a season!

Edited by Pelosi
update

Bartley does a cheap shot forearm smash in front of the ref, no booking, then moans like hell at the lino for a corner no booking, Craig moans booking.

Stokes drinking buddy Boyle pulls back a player near the end no booking

If you looked at the stats for cards it always looks like we are dirty but when you are at the game you realise it's Saints don't get the same treatment and last night is the case

Don't like the way Hibs surround and hound the ref every tackle, suppose take that from their  manager.

The BBC always do Saints a diservice and the more you peddle a myth more folk will believe it regarding the so called tackling, but fair play to Tommy he didn't miss media boys McCann and Thompson and their old pals act, he knows how to get them biting!

1 hour ago, Radford 72 said:

It's as if some folk have never watched a game before. You can argue the tackle by Alston should be a red card offence but under the laws it clearly isn't. 

I don't know enough about the laws of the game, but I don't agree that it "clearly" wasnt a red card. Surely, the ref could determine that the tackle was serious foul play? Or that it was endangering an opponent? It was essentially an off the ball incident given how far away Alston was from the ball. Of course, I was delighted the ref gave a yellow but I think Alston was lucky. 

7 minutes ago, Dooj said:

I don't know enough about the laws of the game, but I don't agree that it "clearly" wasnt a red card. Surely, the ref could determine that the tackle was serious foul play? Or that it was endangering an opponent? It was essentially an off the ball incident given how far away Alston was from the ball. Of course, I was delighted the ref gave a yellow but I think Alston was lucky. 

That tackle literally happens every week. 

I'm in the ****themedia club too. It's so frustrating watching both the BT and the BBC coverage this morning at the complete lack of balance and impartiality shown.

I hope Tommy addresses them and highlights the two incidents by the Hibs lads.  I'd love to see a campaign by Saints fans to get the compliance officer to look at the elbow by Bartley and give him a ban. Lennon's reaction would be tremendous!

Ill take those bookings every day off the week - the majority of them are for fouls that stopped the opponents who are breaking away, if you know you are not on a booking and they are going to get a run at goal then every time you should do it

The only one I would be critical on would be Ando as he got to close to the striker who rolled him and ando had no choice but to foul him , if he had either played the ball before he was rolled or was an arms length away then that never happens 

Was so disappointed at their goal but they never had a shot on target after that.

Lennon beside us in the stand had a gopher running up and down as well as his moby.Clearly still a bitter ,bitter man. Not proud of Alstons tackle but it was a trip not a leg breaker.McGinn was poor all night and might have had a number of cards for various offences.His constanting moaning at the officials is tiresome as was the timewasting by all in black.Would have taken a point before kick-off but at the death felt robbed.Daily Retard says we barely deserved a point !  Never been so cold in my life but glad I went.

3 hours ago, Wendy Saints said:

Don't recall Davidson he had a poor game by his standards! With his hair cut at one point I thought he was Alston he was so out of sorts.. unlucky not to get 3 points

Yeah,Muzz had a good last 10 mins but before that he missed every tackle & header. Maybe has to go to specsavers. Seriously though there seemed to be a few players dazzled by the lights. Never noticed that before.

Whilst I don't believe two wrongs make a right, the decisions made last night and the downright lack of balance by both the pundits and media coverage is what I am disappointed with. Whether you believe Alston's challenge merits a yellow or straight red, it is not receiving a balanced response from the pundits or media. The referee called both Alston's and McGinn challenges a yellow, yet missed the shoulder/elbow by Marvin Bartley which could have been a red card. The pundits and referee chose to ignore Bartley's challenge along with other challenges he made and his subsequent dissent to both the ref and his assistant. After Anderson and Alston's bookings the pundits were questioning whether the ref should produce another yellow then red for both players following 2nd tackles, but they didn't query why the referee ignored similar challenges and surrounding of officials made by Hibs players going unpunished! Alston only got some positive comment by Steven Craigan when he stated McGinn had planted his foot across Alston to draw the tackle which caused both to go down and shortly after Alston was substituted by Tommy. This is why watching StJohnstone can be so frustrating when all we ask is to be treated fairly, but continually get this type of coverage in games. I guess I'll just have to wait to see the edited, balanced view from the BBC Sportscene experts in order to draw my final conclusion.

Edited by Pelosi