Chris Millar Testimonial

Jad

26 minutes ago, The ghost of Jim Morton said:

As far as I am aware, it is up to the player themselves to decide whether they want to divulge how much was raised ..Unbelievably I agree with you ( up to a point) regarding charities.. I do know that Ando gave a portion of his match money to the foundation of Hearts.. I certainly think players who are earning hundreds of thousand a year should  be donating any testimonial money to charity.  Not so sure about players at our level though

Thanks ghostie. I was not aware that it was up to players which makes it even worse in my opinion. 

I think even players at our level are getting a good working wage and bonuses not to mention working half days. 

Guest ScottMann
1 hour ago, Center Half said:

By The sounds of all the moaning Kunts on here Midge should expect a sell out at his " Testimonial game,(If only).It never ceases to amaze me what some of you will find to moan about, if you had known the cost of this "Off the ball" what it is costing you would probably have moaned about that also, Get your arses to his game that is what really matters IMO.

What a state to get yourself into. :laugh:

1 hour ago, mainstand said:

Thanks ghostie. I was not aware that it was up to players which makes it even worse in my opinion. 

I think even players at our level are getting a good working wage and bonuses not to mention working half days. 

Football career at our level is a short one. Most guys have never done another job or have good qualifications. Anyone that manages 10 years at one club deserves any additional reward they get from their fans.

3 hours ago, Center Half said:

By The sounds of all the moaning Kunts on here Midge should expect a sell out at his " Testimonial game,(If only).It never ceases to amaze me what some of you will find to moan about, if you had known the cost of this "Off the ball" what it is costing you would probably have moaned about that also, Get your arses to his game that is what really matters IMO.

Question is have you got your ticket?:wink:

On 13/04/2018 at 7:59 PM, THE LARK SAINT said:

Gordon does fantastic stuff this included and slagging him off is out of order and nothing to do with "Secret 7" shite 

I was lucky enough to get 5 tickets through Gordon and grateful for that 

I did ask him why they chose that venue and not the Saints Club which could take at least 200

However I was happy with Gordon's answer that it was before his time on the committee

Some folk need to get a grip with some of the comments though 

Foghorn is a good guy 

Unfortunately I think this post says a lot about why people are annoyed in the first place - there's a real feeling of this being a tickets-for-yer-mates scenario and the fact that you managed to get five tickets for something that most people didn't even know about, and that you're clearly on good/friendly terms with one of the committee, doesn't really come across very well. Rightly or wrongly, I think there's a real impression with a lot of these off-the-field events that you need to be in an "in crowd", or be mates with the right people, in order to be involved or attend. That's a real shame when you consider how popular a player Chris Millar is for us and I think a lot of Saints fans would like to feel that they at least have the same fair chance of getting tickets for events that everyone else does, even if the venue is small.

I know how much unpaid and thankless work goes into organising stuff like this and I'm not taking a pop at anyone - and I know fans will always have a moan regardless of what happens - but at the same time I think there have to be lessons learned from things like this.

On 14/04/2018 at 6:40 PM, mainstand said:

I think players generally should be doing testimonials for their chosen charities and not themselves. But that is just my own opinion. 

Personally I'm happy with most players keeping the bulk of the money to themselves - it's up to us as fans whether or not we choose to support that, as no one is forced to contribute to the events.

I do think it's a bit different when you're talking about the game's very highest earners, as some of them are earning obscene money and are basically set up for life by the age of 35 - but I think it's fair to say that's never going to apply to any Saints player.

On 4/13/2018 at 7:59 PM, THE LARK SAINT said:

Remember players can pull a pension at the age of 35 (those who have paid into one).

These players are paid decent wages, unlike the 1980s where many were part-timers (but still earning decent money mind).

People are a bit duped by "footballers" - they do it for money, there is ALOT of money in Football and players are the greatest beneficiaries of it. 

We have this idea that football is somehow about virtue .............far from it!

Millar of all the players is one who knows how to play the fans, and media.  

I think the fact that the event was sold out even prior to it being announced is where the problem stems from. I'm certain there would've been lots people interested in going to an event with the off the ball presenters - they're big names in the context of Scottish football -but didn't know about it because they didn't know the right people. The fact you could have had educated guesses at a lot of the attendees doesn't help the jolly for pals perception either. How are people supposed to ask about an event if only the pals of those on the committee or who are in the business club or who attend hospitality (Which I'm assuming happened as that's where a lot of the business club will be on match days) are the only ones actually being told about it?

The perception here is similar to the secret seven from a few years ago. I'm sure it's not meant, but I think it's something that needs to be worked on as it clearly does make a lot of supporters feel alienated.