Macca, regardless of what we think of his current ability, symbolises the most successful St. Johnstone team there has ever been.

Rather than debate Hearts’ intentions, our intentions or those of the hero himself, I want to focus on our favourite Macca Moments.

For me, his flick back into Stevie May in the semi final, sending us into our first Scottish Cup final comes joint first with his goal away in Luzern.

Plenty other options to choose from...

1) Celebrating with him in The Crown in Peebles after the semi final ( which I had missed because I was flying back from holiday when the game was on)

2) In Lucerne post match along with other team hotel escapees.

3) Penalty shootout v Lucerne

4) Scoring against Hibs at Easter Road this season (yes there have been some good times this season)

5) THAT goal on 17/5/2014

6) The celebrations after THAT goal when he ran to the part of the ground where a large contingent of Peebles folk were.

7) Seeing the Peebles Saints flag on the pitch being held up by Stevie and his lovely kids is something I will never forget.

To name just a few.

4 hours ago, ejksjfc said:

1) Celebrating with him in The Crown in Peebles after the semi final ( which I had missed because I was flying back from holiday when the game was on)

2) In Lucerne post match along with other team hotel escapees.

3) Penalty shootout v Lucerne

4) Scoring against Hibs at Easter Road this season (yes there have been some good times this season)

5) THAT goal on 17/5/2014

6) The celebrations after THAT goal when he ran to the part of the ground where a large contingent of Peebles folk were.

7) Seeing the Peebles Saints flag on the pitch being held up by Stevie and his lovely kids is something I will never forget.

To name just a few.

Is he from Peebles by any chance? 

Ultimately I wouldn't look past his goal in the final, but my lasting memories of Macca will be the fact he gave 100% every time he wore our shirt. For a couple seasons he was exceptional and without him Stevie May's wonder season may never have happened. His link up play and intelligent work was superb that season.

An all time XI player for myself after his contribution to our greatest ever team. I hope Hearts are giving him a nice salary in what is likely to be his last big contract.

All the best Macca

I always smile (nervously laugh) when he gets totally frustrated and commits a deliberate fighting/kicking foul, at times chasing the opponent 20 yards to strike him down.  Never quite wild enough for a red card but always puts that moment of doubt in your head before the ref pulls out the yellow.  

Born winner!

Testimony to the man that no one is saying anything but good things about Macca. Think we all realised that his time at Saints was coming to an end throughout this season, just surprised he's landed himself such a good gig to go to.

My abiding memories will always be of the many times kicking corner flags, taps aff and shouting at fans. Great character. 

I remember that when he first arrived a lot of our support were very slow in realising we had a player. Some even rated Vine above him. 

Even when he wasn't scoring he was a clever player and always brought others into the game. Highlight has to be the goal that confirmed that the cup was coming to Perth!

Now that my holiday on Arran is over I can give a "Peebles pub" perspective on this. I have just spoken to the main man himself (and his dad) at Peebles Bowling Club open day, He is gutted to be leaving Saints but Hearts offer (a 2 year playing contract at 36?) was just too good to turn down. He also said he is going with the good wishes of the manager and the Chairman which I think is good as it is never good in my opinion if any club legend leaves acrimoniously. 

I have subsequently heard from other sources that Kyle Lafferty is on his way out at Hearts so press speculation about a Macca/Lafferty combination is not what Levein is looking at. Macca Hearts main strike threat next season could be interesting. 

But anyway good luck Macca you never know a future Saints manager.

Macca is right up there with my favourite Saints players of all time. The Cup final goal and his goal in Luzern are probably the obvious stand-outs, but also his huge contribution to our semi-final win over Aberdeen (posted by HSF above) and doubtless many, many other behind-the-scenes contributions we're not aware of.

One other moment of Macca magic that hasn't been mentioned is the one from a few years back where he was out for four or five months with a serious knee injury and then, without it even being widely known that he was fit again, he appeared in the starting line-up for a match against Motherwell and scored two goals.

I'm a bit worried about Saints without him, to be honest.

One of my favourite silly memories of Steven MacLean was last season at Motherwell; he was a booking away from suspension and we were due to play on the plastic at Hamilton a fortnight later, so he spent the final minutes desperately trying to get booked. Deliberate handballs, rugby tackling opponents but he couldn't manage to convince the referee to get the card out! I suppose he could always just have borrowed Murray Davidson's shirt!

He's been a man for the big occasion though and thoroughly deserves the status he'll forever hold with fans. I doubt he'll even tarnish it when he whips his top off and celebrates in front of us at Tynecastle next season!

50 minutes ago, Radford 72 said:

One of my favourite silly memories of Steven MacLean was last season at Motherwell; he was a booking away from suspension and we were due to play on the plastic at Hamilton a fortnight later, so he spent the final minutes desperately trying to get booked. Deliberate handballs, rugby tackling opponents but he couldn't manage to convince the referee to get the card out! I suppose he could always just have borrowed Murray Davidson's shirt!

He's been a man for the big occasion though and thoroughly deserves the status he'll forever hold with fans. I doubt he'll even tarnish it when he whips his top off and celebrates in front of us at Tynecastle next season!

I almost want him to do that if he scores right in front of us. He’s an enigma, a character and a bit of a nutter and Scottish football will be a duller place when he does eventually retire from playing. 

I’m gutted he’s leaving saints, but a 2 year playing deal at 36, a chance to start his coaching career and presumably a pay day that we wouldn’t get near matching - it’s a no brainer. 

His goal and subsequent celebration against Luzern will live with me for a long time. Saints fans absolutely erupted. Macca, of course, runs in the opposite direction to the Luzern fans and tries to jump the wall. :lol: 

We’ll never get another one like him. A legend. The last 5 games should be about giving him (and indeed Midge) the send off they deserve. 

Fortunate to have witnessed most of the above but my very personal favourite was him bursting out laughing at me when I met him (which is not that unusual). Despite being in my 50s, I just  stood there awe struck like a wee laddie and only managed to mumble LEGEND to him.

He will be sorely missed but the memories of him playing for Saints will be cherished. 

Guest ScottMann
1 hour ago, rik2304 said:

Bumped into Macca when I was in St Andrews for the day. We were both treating the families to some ice cream. I was wearing my cup final t-shirt and was happy to leave him in peace. However he saw my top and started chatting to me. Absolute gentleman and a pleasure to speak to.

What an attention seeker! You should have played out the old joke by turning round and saying 'Do you mind, Steven, I'm trying to have a day out with the family...' :laugh:

7 minutes ago, ScottMann said:

What an attention seeker! You should have played out the old joke by turning round and saying 'Do you mind, Steven, I'm trying to have a day out with the family...' :laugh:

I bumped into another player one time at a petrol station. I asked how an injury recovery was going...................20 minutes later I had to make an excuse to get away!

Guest ScottMann
3 minutes ago, rik2304 said:

I bumped into another player one time at a petrol station. I asked how an injury recovery was going...................20 minutes later I had to make an excuse to get away!

Excellent! The few I've encountered over the years have all been decent guys.