New Pitch - WTF!

Mr Dennis Wise

33 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Pardon my ignorance, but how do they remove the old grass? Is it chemically killed, or scraped, or is the turf removed in such a way they could sell it off? You see where Iā€™m going here....

I think they only remove the top few millimetres at the end of the season. They will probably cover it all in board then sow it after the concert.

Ā 

2 hours ago, rik2304 said:

It would be worth it just so Macca can't play against us.

Personally I cant wait to sing " Steven MacLean your a w***** " and having said as much to the man himself he is also looking forward to it with an appropriate response given back in the same spirit.

2 hours ago, ejksjfc said:

We already have an artificial pitch which we let out commercially and subsequently make a fair bit of money from, there is absolutely no need for us to put in a plastic pitch in the main stadium.

Not sure about that. Articial pitches are more reliable in winter, for one thing. The pitch would also be able to handle a lot more activity, which could make commercial sense for the club (if we already make a lot of money from the one we have, why not make more money by having two?). I struggle to think of any reason not to have one, other than the initial cost of getting a good one installed obviously.

22 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I struggle to think of any reason not to have one, other than the initial cost of getting a good one installed obviously.

Virtually every game of football I've watched at Hamilton. I'd rather Saints invested in maintaining a good grass pitch. Some clubs have groundsmen who seem to take immense pride in their pitch.

9 minutes ago, Radford 72 said:

Virtually every game of football I've watched at Hamilton. I'd rather Saints invested in maintaining a good grass pitch. Some clubs have groundsmen who seem to take immense pride in their pitch.

What pitch do Hamilton have? Hybrid or pure artificial?Ā 

Be interesting to see how Hearts' turns out. Don't think Kilmarnocks is nearly as bad as Hamiltons either.Ā 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

Be interesting to see how Hearts' turns out. Don't think Kilmarnocks is nearly as bad as Hamiltons either.Ā 

Hamilton and Kilmarnock are both 100% artificial. Ā In my opinion, they should not be allowed for top flight football. Ā It becomes a very different game on them.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

Hybrids are just the same as grass. Hamilton's and Kilmarnocks are nothing like grass.

3 minutes ago, jhq said:

Hamilton and Kilmarnock are both 100% artificial. Ā In my opinion, they should not be allowed for top flight football. Ā It becomes a very different game on them.

Fair enough, can't remember Killie being as bad, but only been there once since it was put in, I think.Ā 

Agree totally, grass or very high quality hybrid only, Hamiltons pitch is laughable and the first hour has players figuring out the bounce.Ā 

Good photo's. Ā Can still see the pitch markings. Ā Guessing we are simply reseeding it, and that we've merelyĀ scarified the surface.Ā  Ive never been happy with our pitch, wonder what players think..Ā 

Best time to do it now, wont take long for the grass to grow, then can overseed. Ā Im needing about half carrier bag of seed, so to overseed my lawn, ive got a decent playing surface, can i purchase some McDiarmid grass seed ?

Would never go plastic for my garden, would actually stop attending McD if it went plastic.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Be i interesting to see how Hearts' turns out. Don't think Kilmarnocks is nearly as bad as Hamiltons either.Ā 

The hybrid pitch Hearts are putting down is the same as Murrayfield it actually has artificial grass through the normal grass. There is a video on you tube of Murrayfield being laid and it is like every inch there is artificial grass.

Ā 

Ā 

12 hours ago, Radford 72 said:

True but I don't think anyone's advocating getting a pitch like Hamilton's. As others have said, the technology has moved on since they had that installed.

I don't think you'd see wonderful football at Hamilton even if they laid down a bowling green.