Queen of South v St Johnstone Saturday 18 August 2018 Betfred Cup Round Two

Radford 72

Difficult ground and pitch and we lost a poor goal but overall a decent performance from the team. Watt took his goals well, Drey scored a cracker and Hendry's was the icing on the cake.

Kennedy had a good game as well despite every QoS player apparently having a grudge with him.

Onwards to the quarters - I fully expect a shite trip to the OF or Jambos as our reward.

Really enjoyed that, despite Saints letting me down for £200 on my Acca. 

Some superb performances, especially from Watt, Kerr and Kennedy, who put in a hell of a shift and was fouled every time he got near the ball. 

Our lack of a ball player in the middle of the park is glaring, although it wasn’t helped by our pedestrian and far too deep play at times.

I thought things improved notably in the second half as the defensive line moved noticeably higher up the park and we started winning the second balls and dominating the play. Even more so when McMillan came on.

Not sure what’s going on with Tanser. Seemed that no one wanted to give him the ball today, even in acres of space. Odd one. 

Nice wee day out. In the hat for the next round. Job done. 

Hopefully now we can get that midfielder. 

PS. How good is Tony Watt. Whoever bet against him scoring 10 this season would be as well paying up now! 

9 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

Really enjoyed that, despite Saints letting me down for £200 on my Acca. 

Some superb performances, especially from Watt, Kerr and Kennedy, who put in a hell of a shift and was fouled every time he got near the ball. 

Our lack of a ball player in the middle of the park is glaring, although it wasn’t helped by our pedestrian and far too deep play at times.

I thought things improved notably in the second half as the defensive line moved noticeably higher up the park and we started winning the second balls and dominating the play. Even more so when McMillan came on.

Not sure what’s going on with Tanser. Seemed that no one wanted to give him the ball today, even in acres of space. Odd one. 

Nice wee day out. In the hat for the next round. Job done. 

Hopefully now we can get that midfielder. 

PS. How good is Tony Watt. Whoever bet against him scoring 10 this season would be as well paying up now! 

If Watt is still here in January or hasn't signed a PCA I will be surprised.

I think he’ll see the season out. Not sure we can afford to sell someone bringing the goals he does. 

He’s had a rough few years, you never know. He’ll maybe enjoy plying his trade here. He certainly looks like he does. There’s a lot to be said for being happy at work! 

47 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

I think he’ll see the season out. Not sure we can afford to sell someone bringing the goals he does. 

He’s had a rough few years, you never know. He’ll maybe enjoy plying his trade here. He certainly looks like he does. There’s a lot to be said for being happy at work! 

Nothing like a wee bit of positivity after a win:wink:

Edited by john.w

Great day out, Not the greatest performance, but our quality shone through in extra time

Their front two caused us a lot of problems which we struggled to deal with in the first half, joe especially struggled but was much improved second half. 

Thought Kerr was terrific and and as for Tony Watt, the boy is class. Most excited I’ve been about player since Sandaza.

Foster also had a decent game and we are much weaker defensively without him.  

Think Tanser left his voice in the changing rooms, so many times he has space on the left but never demanded it 

I think Kennedy will get better with each game, looked a bit laggy later on but not sure if that was down to the gash on his  knee

Terrific saints support there today, plenty of noise  made - here’s to a kind Draw 

Ayr United away please 

15 minutes ago, john.w said:

Nothing like a wee bit of positivity after a win:wink:

I see Watt’s outlook as being different from the likes of Stevie May or any other player that we’ve had previously, maybe Jody Morris aside.

He’s already played in the Championship, he’s played overseas. He’s not really settled anywhere in recent years, even spending time on trial at Aberdeen and leaving with no deal. 

I think he’s a guy that’s been desperate for some stability and a wee arm around the shoulder. 

I also think he’s the kind of guy (like Swanson) that thrives on being the focal point in the team.

Obviously money talks, but I don’t think he’ll be as swung by a bigger contract elsewhere as many other players his age would be.

Saying all that, I highly doubt he’ll be here next year, but I’m not certain.

Joe was a nightmare 1st half.

Almost gifted Dobbie a chance when he received the ball in the clear and dallied on the ball, before he gave a pass back to Zander, with the ever alert Dobbie anticipating it.

Muzz was like Bambi at times, trying to get his legs sorted in the direction he was going and should have scored but failed to get enough behind his shot allowing the keeper time to scramble along his line to clear.

Some good performances with Tony doing well to outmuscle two defenders before squaring to Wright who finished expertly.

Also Hendry, chasing a bouncing ball with a defender robbed him before sidestepping the keeper and placing his effort into an empty goal. Class.

First game of the season for me. Lots of positives. A decent performance and, in the end, a good win.

Tony Watt in the flesh is a big fecker. You wouldn't pick a fight with him. He's got a lot of presence. He's definitely one of those players you're glad is in your team, because he will do things which turn matches. And, boy, he covers some ground.

I thought the referee was an equal opportunities fud - crap decisions both ways - but really Queens could have brought on a tractor and ploughed Matty Kennedy into the ground and he still wouldn't have given a foul.

It may sound odd, given we scored four goals, but I'm not sure we'll score that many this season. We play nice football but, Watt apart, the killer instinct needs to be sharpened.

Liked the look of Matty Kennedy. Gives his all, some neat touches, involved all the way through.

Well worth the twelve hour round trip.

Edited by sleepless

14 minutes ago, sixties saintee said:

Cheers mate better than sportsound

For anyone that uses pie and bovril, if you go in the domestic cup football section, then the thread for the Queens v Saints game, I think the lad that does the highlights posts there, and put up the original link that I've copied for here.

Be good to give the guy a bit of positive feedback, as highlights that long must have taken hours, and I would expect he does it as a volunteer.