Celtic Allocation for Betfred Cup

Radford 72

Celtic Allocation  

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Give them the normal. I get the idea of maximising the cash, but for me, I'd take every advantage we have, however small it may be.

Also, to give up so much of the stadium for cash just makes us look diddies. Imagine being a saints player and walking out to your home stadium full of away fans? Would knock you down straight off for that game, but also would just create an impression on players and everyone out with the club of us being tight and amateur for subsequent games. I'd rather 3000 empty seats rather than an extra 3000 Celtic fans.

We all hated the days we gave them 3 stands, I certainly did.

Rather give out free tickets to Saints supporters in schools, college etc rather than give the seats over to the Weggies.

Agree with "The Yellow Box" re players response.

Incentive should be to beat them and progress into the next round rather than lets maximise income cause we are going out.

There defence will not be able to cope with Tony Watt.

Normally I’d say we shouldn’t give up the East Stand, but I’d give them everything except the Main for this one.

The difference between having 7000 Celtic fans and 4800 isn’t going to massively change the advantage in terms of noise in the ground. It will be like a home game for them regardless. But in terms of income we could be looking at an extra £45,000. 

It will be on tv as well so even more cash.

In terms of people saying never mind the money, give them the usual allocation rather than hand over the advantage then I don’t get that. If we decide to sod the money for an old firm game and just gave them 1000 seats and left 7000 empty, I would be fine with that and could understand.

I still think we’ve got a real chance of beating them, and will go to the game optimistic we will, and I don’t see how giving them 2200 more seats changes that.  We’ve gone to Celtic Park and Ibrox in the past year in front of 50,000 and got results.

The simple fact of the matter, whether we like it or not, is other than cup finals and big European games, the people of Perth don’t really give a **** about St Johnstone. Sad but true.

And if selling our soul for this one match and having a near full house means we can bring in a quality central midfielder, and for the rest of the season we get to enjoy some great performances and success, then let’s do it.

Guest ScottMann

What a sad state of affairs this is even being discussed. The majority of the people of Perth may not give a **** but why piss off the few that do and alienate even more of them? It's a home cup tie. Normal rules should apply, end of story.

For the financially concerned, the best way to 'maximise income' from this game is to win it and get into the semi-finals where the rewards will be substantially more than bowing down to an extra few thousand IRA promoters.

8 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Normally I’d say we shouldn’t give up the East Stand, but I’d give them everything except the Main for this one.

The difference between having 7000 Celtic fans and 4800 isn’t going to massively change the advantage in terms of noise in the ground. It will be like a home game for them regardless. But in terms of income we could be looking at an extra £45,000. 

In terms of people saying never mind the money, give them the usual allocation rather than hand over the advantage then I don’t get that. If we decide to sod the money for an old firm game and just gave them 1000 seats and left 7000 empty, I would be fine with that and could understand.

I still think we’ve got a real chance of beating them, and will go to the game optimistic we will, and I don’t see how giving them 2200 more seats changes that.  We’ve gone to Celtic Park and Ibrox in the past year in front of 50,000 and got results.

The simple fact of the matter, whether we like it or not, is other than cup finals and big European games, the people of Perth don’t really give a **** about St Johnstone. Sad but true.

And if selling our soul for this one match and having a near full house means we can bring in a quality central midfielder, and for the rest of the season we get to enjoy some great performances and success, then let’s do it.

Another intelligent post Paulo. This is my thoughts also.

I have always said a small concentration of Saints fans can make a lot more noise and support in one stand than having us all split over the Main and East stands.

9 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Why not give them the whole stadium at £30 a ticket and make an absolutely bomb? Their fans would clearly do it since they're so much better than ours? 

Really disappointed to see you heading down this route tbh, I'd have thought you'd have understood the psychology behind not moving home fans for important games. The Saints player will spend the build up believing they can beat Celtic as our grass they're playing on, our stadium, only to be met with a wall of Celtic fans surrounding them. 

They deserve better. 

Saints' problem here is that the game isn't on the season ticket. We've already had that confirmation from Steve Brown that a significant percentage of holders don't go when we play the Old Firm and now, quarter-final or not, you are going to be asking them to pay likely upwards of £26/£27 to go to a game that will be live on TV.

Realistically, barring a miraculous promotional campaign or price reduction, how many home fans are we going to attract to this game? Maybe that's another poll...

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

Why not give them the whole stadium at £30 a ticket and make an absolutely bomb? Their fans would clearly do it since they're so much better than ours? 

Really disappointed to see you heading down this route tbh, I'd have thought you'd have understood the psychology behind not moving home fans for important games. The Saints player will spend the build up believing they can beat Celtic as our grass they're playing on, our stadium, only to be met with a wall of Celtic fans surrounding them. 

They deserve better. 

I would love to have a "fortress" McD that would intimidate the opposition but the reality is we don't have enough fans willing to turn out for the games. Irrespective whether we keep the allocation as usual or not the Celtic fans will dominate the proceedings and we can only hope our favorites silence them with a big win.

15 hours ago, Radford 72 said:

Already folk discussing this so thought it might be interesting to gauge opinion. I've included four options, although in reality, only the first two are likely.

What about east north and corner of main. Keeping the Ormond as a family stand. As I suggested yesterday and you commented on.

Edited by mainstand

I think that we can make a reasonable estimate of the revenue that the club will generate from this fixture.I reckon that the gate will be around 7,000 knock off 1,0000 for the costs of staging the match and that leaves half of the remaining 6,000.We normally charge  £27 for an old firm game so taking concessions into account the figure would be around £19 per head giving a total of 57,000.Add in the profit from catering carparking hospitality etc we can look at a total of around 65,000.Add in the prise money of 60,000 for reaching this stage and a potential 21,000 TV revenue we could realistically be looking at a Grand total of 146,000.I know that figures are a bit boring but the revenue from this one match can make a massive difference to our player budget.Please feel free(if you can be arsed) to Challange any inaccuracies I may have made.

43 minutes ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

I think that we can make a reasonable estimate of the revenue that the club will generate from this fixture.I reckon that the gate will be around 7,000 knock off 1,0000 for the costs of staging the match and that leaves half of the remaining 6,000.We normally charge  £27 for an old firm game so taking concessions into account the figure would be around £19 per head giving a total of 57,000.Add in the profit from catering carparking hospitality etc we can look at a total of around 65,000.Add in the prise money of 60,000 for reaching this stage and a potential 21,000 TV revenue we could realistically be looking at a Grand total of 146,000.I know that figures are a bit boring but the revenue from this one match can make a massive difference to our player budget.Please feel free(if you can be arsed) to Challange any inaccuracies I may have made.

Don’t think that will be far off, except policing costs for an OF game mean that the staging costs might be higher. but remember revenue isn’t profit. There’s a sh it load of weekly, monthly and annual bills that any revenue from any one game has to contribute to. The actual additional free money generated by this one fixture will be a fraction of the revenue. It is money that Saints may not have assumed they would get (it depends on what their budget assumptions were in terms of cup progress). So there might be some extra. Will Tommy get it? I’d guess yes, as long as the boiler doesn’t pack in.

1 hour ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

Floodlights are needing painted.   Player budget, aye right...