Reserve League News 2018/19

Radford 72

The new SPFL Reserve League gets underway today, with Saints away to Dundee. The game is at Links Park and kick-off is at 2:00pm. The first home game is against Queen of the South next Monday afternoon and that is the regular slot for matches. There are 18 clubs, playing each other just once (17 games) and the season runs until mid-April. There is also a new Reserve League Cup competition to create more fixtures.

Fixtures: https://spfl.co.uk/admin/filemanager/images/shares/pdfs/SPFL Reserve League Fixtures_WEB.pdf

The hope from the authorities is that clubs will use more experienced players alongside younger players but the proof will be in the pudding on that score.

Saints U20s finished 11th of 14 teams in the Development League last season and will again be a young squad I sense, with only one 1999-born player and one  1998-born player on the books. I'll need to check and see if there are specific rules about overage or underage players, unless anyone knows for sure?

From last season, Ben Quigley, Jack Wilson, Ciaran Brian, Euan O'Reilly, Cameron Ballantyne, Jamie McKenzie and Shaun Struthers will form the core of the squad, along with Ross Sinclair and John Robertson who are both eligible for the new U18s team. Alan Maybury has taken over control of the team from Alec Cleland and his options will be supplemented by a new intake of former U17 players including but not limited to: Gregor Donald, Jordan Northcott, Kyle Green, Kyle Woolley and Olly Hamilton.

4 minutes ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Hendry on 21 minutes.

Brian Rice sent off 26 mins.

Kane penalty miss 27 min.

Mousse equaliser 31 mins.

Hendry on 21 minutes.

Moussa equaliser 31 mins.

Saints go 2-1 in front in 64 mins.

2 hours ago, BigKerno said:

Can't see the younger guys getting near the reserve team this year. Mainly the players who don't play on the Saturday will be getting match sharpness. I guess you can use the reserve league for two things; keep the first team squad happy or develop the young guys.

Doesn't look like OS is going to let us know about the game or who played so we won't know if they were playing any kids or not..

I saw the team lines. I think that there was 8 or 9 first team players. Kane and Hendry up front for example. I do worry about the younger guys who stepped up last year. Some are in the last year of their contract and may see playing time limited. I know it is up to them to perform but you need the chance.

Tuesday 28th August 2018 at 1400.

Saints vs Queen of the South.

(Per S.F.A. fixture list)

On 20/08/2018 at 1:39 PM, Radford 72 said:

The new SPFL Reserve League gets underway today, with Saints away to Dundee. The game is at Links Park and kick-off is at 2:00pm. The first home game is against Queen of the South next Monday afternoon and that is the regular slot for matches. There are 18 clubs, playing each other just once (17 games) and the season runs until mid-April. There is also a new Reserve League Cup competition to create more fixtures.

Fixtures: https://spfl.co.uk/admin/filemanager/images/shares/pdfs/SPFL Reserve League Fixtures_WEB.pdf

The hope from the authorities is that clubs will use more experienced players alongside younger players but the proof will be in the pudding on that score.

Saints U20s finished 11th of 14 teams in the Development League last season and will again be a young squad I sense, with only one 1999-born player and one  1998-born player on the books. I'll need to check and see if there are specific rules about overage or underage players, unless anyone knows for sure?

From last season, Ben Quigley, Jack Wilson, Ciaran Brian, Euan O'Reilly, Cameron Ballantyne, Jamie McKenzie and Shaun Struthers will form the core of the squad, along with Ross Sinclair and John Robertson who are both eligible for the new U18s team. Alan Maybury has taken over control of the team from Alec Cleland and his options will be supplemented by a new intake of former U17 players including but not limited to: Gregor Donald, Jordan Northcott, Kyle Green, Kyle Woolley and Olly Hamilton.

All other games on Monday next.

Edited by HOODLUM65

9 hours ago, BigKerno said:

Can't see the younger guys getting near the reserve team this year. Mainly the players who don't play on the Saturday will be getting match sharpness. I guess you can use the reserve league for two things; keep the first team squad happy or develop the young guys.

It might help if we get some of the younger first team pool out on lone. Hendry, McCann, McClean and Comrie for example..

Edited by Stumpy1966

On 8/20/2018 at 3:20 PM, HOODLUM65 said:

Hendry on 21 minutes.

Moussa equaliser 31 mins.

Saints go 2-1 in front in 64 mins.

i know these games are used to see who can make that step up into the 1st team but if Moussa is scoring against them then its time to release them all 

6 hours ago, 541ntees said:

i know these games are used to see who can make that step up into the 1st team but if Moussa is scoring against them then its time to release them all 

Highlight of Dundee goals didn't look too good for young centre backs.

On 21/08/2018 at 1:21 PM, BigKerno said:

I saw the team lines. I think that there was 8 or 9 first team players. Kane and Hendry up front for example. I do worry about the younger guys who stepped up last year. Some are in the last year of their contract and may see playing time limited. I know it is up to them to perform but you need the chance.

all last years u20s and all this seasons u18 full time players less 2 ,only have a years contract ,Jordan northcott has played in all reserve games so far and Gregory Donald has also been picked last few games ,all full time 18s were in irn bru final squad and on the bench less two of them ,its a very hard year for them all and people see some  players  differently than other people ,sometimes wonder if we will ever move on in scotland from the hes big or he runs about like mad so he will do instead of the his off ball movement is good he can read a game he works for the team etc etc which to me is a footballer ,but i still love watching them all play