Taxi for Tommy?

George Grieve

Alan Mannus has backed his former St Johnstone manager Tommy Wright to succeed Michael O'Neill in the Northern Ireland post.

The goalkeeper, 37, worked with Wright at McDiarmid Park for five years and knows just how valuable he is to the club and its supporters. He also knows first hand how skilled an operator the ex-Manchester City stopper is on the training pitch and in the dugout. 

On 4/25/2020 at 4:25 PM, Tranmere Saintee said:

She normally chats to him up at the RDA at his stables but unless there’s a few sneaky texts I don’t think he’s been in touch:D

Sounds good, football royalty deserves to be updated directly from the horses mouth. 

6 hours ago, south inch said:

Should this thread not be renamed "Bus Fare for Tommy"?  Times are hard.

Can't take public transport. Taxi & ubers banned (in Melbourne at least). He'd have to walk alone, or maintaining 1.5 mtrs from his agent after being sacked via Zoom/ facetime. Then prove to the polis he had a medical reason for dodging the lockdown. 

Edited by Melbourne Saint

4 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Can't take public transport. Taxi & ubers banned (in Melbourne at least). He'd have to walk alone, or maintaining 1.5 mtrs from his agent after being sacked via Zoom/ facetime. Then prove to the polis he had a medical reason for dodging the lockdown. 

He can only leave if he posts his top ten albums on WAP, and nominates someone to be manager.

On 4/27/2020 at 11:03 AM, MySpazz said:

He can only leave if he posts his top ten albums on WAP, and nominates someone to be manager.

I reckon he'd be into some weird relaxing shit, like Womack & Womack, Grace Jones, Sydney Devine,  Joan Mellancamp, Elton John, the blind dude etc etc. Anything like "Prodigy's "Firestarter", the Pixies or Foo Fighters would not be good for his underlying anger management issues.

But why? Where is he going? He hasn't been announced as Northern Ireland manager, and if he's resigning and he does get appointed then we don't get the pay off. Or is that why: to make himself a better catch for Northern Ireland as it won't cost them anything?

According to Eric Nicholson at the Courier its not for any job or finances or the COVID situation. Only thing could be the relationship with the board?

I've got a feeling though that the uncertainty of when fitba will start up again and having to do another squad rebuilding exercise might just have meant that Tommy didn't feel up to the undoubted stress and pressures. Especially with so many unknowns just now.

I would also think that being back home in NI, with the daily stress removed will have highlighted how stressful the last few years have been. All the best to him.

The new guy will have some shoes to fill.

Graeme Jones would be a decent appointment, but my heart would go for Nick Dasovic.

Uninspiringly it will be the promotion of Cleland or Derek Adams

Given he’s been back in Ireland for approaching 2 months now with his family and not on his own, you’ve got to imagine he’s just realised he’s not getting any younger and is wanting to spend more time with them in his home. Plus he’s seen the way things are going in Scottish football, budget cuts and even more tightening of purse strings are inevitable. Especially with our board and thought enough is enough. 

Not sure anyone actually thought this day would come, but we’ve had 7 glorious years of the man which is about 5 more than we should have had. He’ll always be welcome in Perth and can leave head held high knowing he’s left us in a brilliant position. Good luck whoever has to replace arguably our greatest ever manager. 

I’ll be looking out for Tommy in NI . Really hope this leads to him getting the NI job.  He’s been incredible and that surely now is the end of an era not to be repeated . Just remember starting the job , Rosenberg and winning the Scottish Cup the next year. I was on the Belfast - Glasgow Flybe with his whole family that day ! My mates from Ballyclare couldn’t speak any higher of him , his mum used to be their dinner lady !

And those that wanted rid earlier the season...... would you want to work under Steve and the one that Killie fans couldn’t believe they got rid of !

I’m suddenly now a fan of a bigger top league!! It’s going to be tough but we do have a good record of appointments recently ....

I don't think there's too much in it. He's had time to reflect at home. If he now feels rested, no hard feelings. All the best Tommy. Wouldn't be surprised if there are quite a few managers around fearful for their future or open to Saintsjob. I think we just wait until the SFA decide what the frick to do with everything.  No rush. Saves us a wage!