Taxi for Tommy?

George Grieve

Think it has a lot to do with him enjoining being back in NI for a couple of months & enjoying stress free time.

Think there might be something to do with dealing with Robertson. He has been dealing with Steve for years. It may be Brooner bought in Robertson because he couldn't say no to Tommy.

7 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Think it has a lot to do with him enjoining being back in NI for a couple of months & enjoying stress free time.

Think there might be something to do with dealing with Robertson. He has been dealing with Steve for years. It may be Brooner bought in Robertson because he couldn't say no to Tommy.

I suspect the first paragraph may be true. 

a month at home with the family has maybe given him some perspective. 

Still feels a bit like there’s been a death in the family, it’s a bit surreal. 

Tommy... I wish you nothing but the best. Thank you, thank you, thank you. 

55 minutes ago, templeofsaints said:

According to Eric Nicholson at the Courier its not for any job or finances or the COVID situation. Only thing could be the relationship with the board?

I've got a feeling though that the uncertainty of when fitba will start up again and having to do another squad rebuilding exercise might just have meant that Tommy didn't feel up to the undoubted stress and pressures. Especially with so many unknowns just now.

Our budget next season will be horrific. 

It says in paper Saints said that having considered Tommy leaving at the end of the season,it was better that he left now. Did he not have 2years left on his contract. Either seems suspicious or I am reading it wrong.

Hope we are not the team that are considering administration.

This is all very strange & worrying.

Judging by his interview, this isn't a 'knee jerk' reaction to the likes of Robertson coming in. Sounds to me that Wright knew last season, early this season that he was needing a change .

I do wonder whether he is making himself easier for NI to approach him, if he is, I have no problem with it. He has earned the right to choose his way out of the club and perhaps realises that the changes upstairs will make his life harder going forward. Even Brown himself sounds like he would like to get out.

Interestingly at the fans meeting just after May signed in the summer, Brown was asked did he have a replacement in mind for Tommy and he very quickly said yes he did. So that to me suggests that Wright had been giving signals fairly early on this season that he was thinking about things.

Doesn't sound like the new manager is going to be in place soon with the club saying something about getting clarity re COVID first....that could be quite a while.

42 minutes ago, Linky said:

I understand what people say about the stress of the job but, better to have a job than be unemployed (especially at the current time). Surely he must have something lined up.

Remember he played in top flight of English football from 1988 to 2001 so would reckon he would be fairly financially secure.

16 minutes ago, Crossest Man In Scotland said:

Remember he played in top flight of English football from 1988 to 2001 so would reckon he would be fairly financially secure.

You might be right, but there's surely still a plan in mind? Northern Ireland, and if he doesn't get it then a club job there?

I have seen crazy rumours that he's going to Rangers. I can't quite see what capacity that would be in, unless it's the U-21 team or something.

Must be more to it than being said.

Why would a club allow a manager with 2 years left on his contract walk away when he is being touted for the Northern Ireland Managers position and we would have received compensation for him if he got it.

In these harsh economic times it just does not make sense but as always we, the fans will never know or be told.

Good Luck Tommy and thanks for the memories.

Great interview on Saints tv.Gary growing into the job,just wish he asked him about foster when he said he held no grudges.

I think his affection for the chairman showed.

His final comment about reading out his statement to Ann & saying he was very careful with a grin is I think very telling. Think Robertson was the problem.

Would compensation, if he got the NI job, be more than x months of salary saved until we appoint a new manager? I can’t see footy starting again in Scotland for a while yet, even if behind closed doors games would need players and staff testing each game and I don’t think clubs in Scotland can afford that.

Gutted, the best manager I'll ever see Saints have.

Sounds like it's been a long considered decision, and hes walked away from football for a spell in the past to focus on his personal life, just hope everything there is fine.

The club couldnt have refused to let him leave if he wanted to, even for compensation, hes done too much for us all.