Taxi for Tommy?

George Grieve

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

He was absolutely miles out with most of the Stevie May saga this summer.

There was that much shit written & posted in the months the May saga rolled on for that I don't remember any of it except that we might have missed out on a few targets as it rolled on.

14 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

I stayed off WAP yesterday so I’ve not read all of the comments but Kirsten Robertson has not come out of this well for me.

I think she was a step too far for Tommy.

Where is her accountability in all of this.

Silence as usual!! 

Head of “Football” Operations.. don’t make me f**king laugh!!!

Again. 

The manager himself has said this has been in his plans for years now, to leave when he felt the time was right and the squad was strong enough.

I can understand why people are desperate to find a deeper reason, or a scapegoat, but to me it's pointless and does nothing but harm the club.

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Again. 

The manager himself has said this has been in his plans for years now, to leave when he felt the time was right and the squad was strong enough.

I can understand why people are desperate to find a deeper reason, or a scapegoat, but to me it's pointless and does nothing but harm the club.

Yeah yeah you are right. It was totally natural and obvious end to things.

- The club was prepared with a succession plan in place

- The managers contract had run down anyway

- The relationship between the management and the Head of Football was strong

Actually... wait a second 

Just now, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Yeah yeah you are right. It was totally natural and obvious end to things.

- The club was prepared with a succession plan in place

- The managers contract had run down anyway

- The relationship between the management and the Head of Football was strong

Actually... wait a second 

Screenshot_20200502-141108_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8a5f1c1ec279bc2b4f59834d6a700dec.jpg

The managers own words. We all know he wasnt afraid to stick the boot in publicly, so I'm not sure why you've convinced yourself hes cowered away from doing it now.

This was his words when he left Ballymena in 2008...

"I did not take the decision lightly but I have become disillusioned with certain aspects of the game and perhaps have taken Ballymena as far as I could,”

“I have some personal reasons too that mean the time is right to move on. But I enjoyed my time at the club and I think we have made progress.”

"It would have been easy to resign when we were going badly at the start of the season or when Norwich invited me to join them as goalkeeping coach in January.

“But since the end of February I have become a bit disillusioned and maybe the fact that I have been full-time has worked against me.

“Perhaps I took on too much in terms of my work at the club and that has taken its toll on me. When it affects your personal life, it is time to call it a day.

“I am leaving behind a good squad of young players who I think can do well in this league.”

"I am going to relax and take a total break from football, there is no hidden agenda. I have nothing else lined up and it is the right decision for me, my family and Ballymena United.”

https://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/2008/04/28/former-target-wright-now-available-after-ballymena-exit-two-plus-two-equals/

The similarities are there. 

You can spend the next few months hounding the club and staff if that makes you feel better, but I dont think that's why hes left.

All this speculating from fans, journalists and the likes is getting silly, nobody but the man himself knows the truth. It would seem however that Tommy knew he was leaving 6/7/8 months ago, this was always his last season. A lesser man would have quit when we were bottom of the league, but he hauled us to top 6 once again. He had known he wanted to leave before Kirsten Robertson set foot in the door. It was the constantly being away from his family, his friends, his home. The 24/7 nature of the job, he feels it’s a younger mans game and I for one don’t blame him. As Ive said, we got 7 years of the great man, which was 5 years more than we should have gotten and nothing can ever touch or taint that! 

Had he left for the N.I job immediately then none of this would be an issue or even discussed. He’d merely have gotten his dream job. Things need to change to move forward occasionally, do I think he was the man to continue absolutely, but there’s no saying a new face with fresh ideas won’t be just as good. Take Aberdeen for example, a lot of their fans want change and are getting tired of McInnes, saints never did that, but it doesn’t mean that a new leader won’t bring a period of success as well, or at the very least maintain it. What is saints ultimate goal, the same as it’s always been, avoid relegation. Anything above and beyond that is a blessing. 

So I’ll say this, thank you Tommy Wright for bringing 7 wonderful years of football to my club and thank you for all the wonderful memories you’ve created. It’s been a hell of a ride and I don’t think any of us would change it for the world. I just hope that you get to come back to McDiarmid Park soon when it’s open again and see just how much the fans loved you and get to see the send off you deserve. 

18 minutes ago, dave mc said:

Robert Thompson is a friend of TW,and a Saints fan,so he gets most of his news from the horses mouth 

He cant be much of a friend if his one, nationwide, chance to talk up TW is refused so he can instead have, yet another, dig at a club he fell out with a year ago.

Tom English is the only journalist who's put out an article praising TW personally and professionally without any agenda. That's embarrassing considering the amount of Saints supporters who have had the chance to do the same.

Robertson is making change, much of that has so far been good (OF, online ticketing, community and marketing is going well, Saints TV* not sure that was her mind).

TW leaving is a bitter blow, and a horrible "split", like losing a loved one, what a guy, what an era............I remember Alex Rennie and Totten leaving, both great managers and we never really had another as good until Tommy came long.

18 minutes ago, MySpazz said:

Robertson is making change, much of that has so far been good (OF, online ticketing, community and marketing is going well, Saints TV* not sure that was her mind).

TW leaving is a bitter blow, and a horrible "split", like losing a loved one, what a guy, what an era............I remember Alex Rennie and Totten leaving, both great managers and we never really had another as good until Tommy came long.

I seem to remember Coyle &  McInnes doing the groundwork towards the last 10 successful years.The longest run of success in Saint history.

2 hours ago, Widge said:

All this speculating from fans, journalists and the likes is getting silly, nobody but the man himself knows the truth. It would seem however that Tommy knew he was leaving 6/7/8 months ago, this was always his last season. A lesser man would have quit when we were bottom of the league, but he hauled us to top 6 once again. He had known he wanted to leave before Kirsten Robertson set foot in the door. It was the constantly being away from his family, his friends, his home. The 24/7 nature of the job, he feels it’s a younger mans game and I for one don’t blame him. As Ive said, we got 7 years of the great man, which was 5 years more than we should have gotten and nothing can ever touch or taint that! 

Had he left for the N.I job immediately then none of this would be an issue or even discussed. He’d merely have gotten his dream job. Things need to change to move forward occasionally, do I think he was the man to continue absolutely, but there’s no saying a new face with fresh ideas won’t be just as good. Take Aberdeen for example, a lot of their fans want change and are getting tired of McInnes, saints never did that, but it doesn’t mean that a new leader won’t bring a period of success as well, or at the very least maintain it. What is saints ultimate goal, the same as it’s always been, avoid relegation. Anything above and beyond that is a blessing. 

So I’ll say this, thank you Tommy Wright for bringing 7 wonderful years of football to my club and thank you for all the wonderful memories you’ve created. It’s been a hell of a ride and I don’t think any of us would change it for the world. I just hope that you get to come back to McDiarmid Park soon when it’s open again and see just how much the fans loved you and get to see the send off you deserve. 

Well said Widge. Spot on

Seemingly journalists touting Tommy for Hearts job.

Said in his interview that the job was 365 ,24/7. Just imagine the pressure on the Hearts job compared to Saints.

All this journalist stuff is reminiscent of the Totten years.

26 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Said in his interview that the job was 365 ,24/7. Just imagine the pressure on the Hearts job compared to Saints.

Tommy pretty much detested down Tyne castle way, jambos kickback worth a read although a few have come out and said they would not be in the mess they are if Tommy was in charge. 

Sentiment on kickback towards us is not much better, quite a few think we are going into admin and a few happy to see us disappear altogether. 

Pure jealousy me thinks. 

3 hours ago, MySpazz said:

No issue with those things, all make commercial sense, meddling in players contracts and going above the managers head in discussion with potential signings is a different issue altogether.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

Why would the hearts job be available? Surely they’re going to give Stendel a proper crack at it first.

Great post by Widge, I'm not going to quote the whole thing.

The line that stood out for me is that Saints go into every season hoping to avoid relegation and anything else is a bonus. We've had a hell of a lot of bonuses!!

I've never once in the last seven years feared relegation. There was some ugly football, sure, but faith in the big man was always strong and we knew we were in good hands.

New guy? Whoever you are, wherever you come from, you'd better be fu***n good.

4 hours ago, MySpazz said:

If she was responsible for introducing these things then hats off to her. Saints dragged into the 21st century and all that.

If she was in the manager's face however, she's got a hell of a job to do if she wants the fans on her side.

6 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

He cant be much of a friend if his one, nationwide, chance to talk up TW is refused so he can instead have, yet another, dig at a club he fell out with a year ago.

Tom English is the only journalist who's put out an article praising TW personally and professionally without any agenda. That's embarrassing considering the amount of Saints supporters who have had the chance to do the same.

A friend sticking up for a friend then,not the club,there’s a good article by local journo Matty Gallagher in the pa/ record 

15 minutes ago, Linky said:

I've seen rumours that an SPL club is possibly going into administration any idea who this is?

Looking at the figures, Rangers actually have the highest wage bill compared to cash in the bank.

If this is the same story I followed on Twitter last night it actually said "a senior Scottish team" or something . Loads of comments followed about which premier team involved. Senior teams now include everyone from Celtic to Jeanfield Swifts so could be anyone really Linky.

15 minutes ago, cristo said:

If this is the same story I followed on Twitter last night it actually said "a senior Scottish team" or something . Loads of comments followed about which premier team involved. Senior teams now include everyone from Celtic to Jeanfield Swifts so could be anyone really Linky.

I would imagine Partick must be in serious trouble along with Dundee. Just  concerned that Tommy’s exit might be financially based, but seems unlikely.

2 hours ago, cristo said:

If she was responsible for introducing these things then hats off to her. Saints dragged into the 21st century and all that.

If she was in the manager's face however, she's got a hell of a job to do if she wants the fans on her side.

Pretty much my point!

Perth is no place for "outsiders" who think they are "erchie", and the rumblings are of just that!