Taxi for Tommy?

George Grieve

I think it is strange that there has been no tweets or quotes at all from any of the players in respect of Tommy leaving. 

Also despite having retweeted the club picture of the pitch with the badge printed on it the staff at the club such as the physio bev etc have never retweeted or commented on it at all. 

Coincidence??

2 hours ago, mainstand said:

I think it is strange that there has been no tweets or quotes at all from any of the players in respect of Tommy leaving. 

Also despite having retweeted the club picture of the pitch with the badge printed on it the staff at the club such as the physio bev etc have never retweeted or commented on it at all. 

Coincidence??

I think they have been told to stay off social media. By who though.

2 hours ago, mainstand said:

Coincidence??

Never mind the players, physio or Bev, where is the statement from our full-time Head of Football Operations.

Just now, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Never mind the players, physio or Bev, where is the statement from our full-time Head of Football Operations.

I saw this on another thread as well. What are you looking for? I thought everything was covered in the statement from the club on saturday. 

On 5/3/2020 at 12:50 AM, Melbourne Saint said:

Not much advance warning Broon got. By the sounds of it very little,  given that TW read his resignation letter to his wife the night before. 

I haven't re-watched the interview again to get to the right bit, but I'm fairly sure TW said he read the club's statement to his wife the night before - not his resignation letter.

Just now, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Accountability. We pay her wages

So what questions do you want a statement to answer? 

She is not going to come out and say Tommy and I hated each other or Tommy and I loved each other and as a COO she is no answerable to you or I she is answerable to the board. 

If we issue as many statements as you want we will end up like Sevco. 

20 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Screenshot_20200502-141108_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8a5f1c1ec279bc2b4f59834d6a700dec.jpg

The managers own words. We all know he wasnt afraid to stick the boot in publicly, so I'm not sure why you've convinced yourself hes cowered away from doing it now.

This was his words when he left Ballymena in 2008...

"I did not take the decision lightly but I have become disillusioned with certain aspects of the game and perhaps have taken Ballymena as far as I could,”

“I have some personal reasons too that mean the time is right to move on. But I enjoyed my time at the club and I think we have made progress.”

"It would have been easy to resign when we were going badly at the start of the season or when Norwich invited me to join them as goalkeeping coach in January.

“But since the end of February I have become a bit disillusioned and maybe the fact that I have been full-time has worked against me.

“Perhaps I took on too much in terms of my work at the club and that has taken its toll on me. When it affects your personal life, it is time to call it a day.

“I am leaving behind a good squad of young players who I think can do well in this league.”

"I am going to relax and take a total break from football, there is no hidden agenda. I have nothing else lined up and it is the right decision for me, my family and Ballymena United.”

https://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/2008/04/28/former-target-wright-now-available-after-ballymena-exit-two-plus-two-equals/

The similarities are there. 

You can spend the next few months hounding the club and staff if that makes you feel better, but I dont think that's why hes left.

Ignorance is bliss eh.

21 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Again. 

The manager himself has said this has been in his plans for years now, to leave when he felt the time was right and the squad was strong enough.

I'm not sure I buy this part of it. When Tommy began his project of making the squad younger (a two-year work in progress), can you honestly believe he was doing it completely altruistically, with the aim of handing it all over to someone else, and it wasn't in his mind that he would be the man leading that new team? Also let's not forget that he only signed a new contract in December 2018.

Undoubtedly there are elements to this that we're not being told about - which is fair enough, but fans aren't stupid, and of course there's going to be speculation as a result of that secrecy. For me, the "right time" would have been when his contract was at an end, at a time when a successor (possibly someone internal such as Liam Craig) had already been identified and groomed for the position. Had it been planned "for years", I think that stuff would have happened and we would have seen the new manager announced at the same time as Tommy's departure, or possibly even before. That way, we'd have known this was coming and Tommy would have got a goodbye season, or possibly even a testimonial (which would also have been a pretty good marketing opportunity).

The fact that it hasn't gone that way makes me feel that the decision hasn't been as long-term, or pre-planned, as we're being told.

What I do think is that if the board don't get this next appointment right then they're going to find themselves under a huge amount of pressure from the fans. If we struggle under a new manager, fans will inevitably blame them for not having done more to hold on to the best manager we've ever had.

I wonder whether the plan was that Tommy was going to give it one more season, or at least the end of this season. Obviously the current crisis has messed all this up. 
I’m sure I read somewhere (but can’t find it now), that the those who run each of the clubs met together a few days before the announcement and were told a bit more about the likelihood of football being played again soon (i.e. it’s not going to happen for a while). Perhaps he’s realised he’s not going to be able to finish this season so best to go now?

Given that not much is happening right now to fall out over, it seems unlikely that a falling out has led to his leaving.

30 minutes ago, Linky said:

I wonder whether the plan was that Tommy was going to give it one more season, or at least the end of this season. Obviously the current crisis has messed all this up. 
I’m sure I read somewhere (but can’t find it now), that the those who run each of the clubs met together a few days before the announcement and were told a bit more about the likelihood of football being played again soon (i.e. it’s not going to happen for a while). Perhaps he’s realised he’s not going to be able to finish this season so best to go now?

Given that not much is happening right now to fall out over, it seems unlikely that a falling out has led to his leaving.

Hahaha!! Yeah, maybe that’s what happened right enough 

https://youtu.be/jHPOzQzk9Qo

Have you read any of the statements out of interest?

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

38 minutes ago, Linky said:

He still had a lot of phone calls to make. I am still waiting for mine. Perhaps Kirsten will give me a call.

1 hour ago, mainstand said:

So what questions do you want a statement to answer? 

She is not going to come out and say Tommy and I hated each other or Tommy and I loved each other and as a COO she is no answerable to you or I she is answerable to the board. 

If we issue as many statements as you want we will end up like Sevco. 

She is answerable to the shareholders. That's us.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

As I say, I'd rather be wrong and believe the manager than do what you're doing, which is actively trying to incite a hate campaign against a St Johnstone employee based on absolutely nothing.

Believe the manager that what?

FYI, it’s not based on nothing

42 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Believe the manager that what?

I believe it's a decision hes long contemplated and not one hes just decided on in last 6 months, and that it's a personal decision hes taken to benefit his personal life.

That's based on what hes said, and what hes done in previous jobs.

I dont believe Kirsten Robertson is responsible for him leaving.

Edited by RandomGuy

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

She is answerable to the shareholders. That's us.

I am not a shareholder in the CLub i might be a stakeholder but not a shareholder there is a difference. 

If you area  shareholder then you have a legitimate methiod of questionning her and the board via the AGM. 

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

He still had a lot of phone calls to make. I am still waiting for mine. Perhaps Kirsten will give me a call.

I forgot you were an old grumpy pensioner.  Should change your name to VICTOR!!!:laugh::laugh:

59 minutes ago, mainstand said:

I am not a shareholder in the CLub i might be a stakeholder but not a shareholder there is a difference. 

If you area  shareholder then you have a legitimate methiod of questionning her and the board via the AGM. 

I forgot you were an old grumpy pensioner.  Should change your name to VICTOR!!!:laugh::laugh:

Stakeholder for over 70 years.

RBB - you're sounding like the WAP equivalent of The Rangers FC - where's your evidence???

Embarrassing witch hunt by a few people on here.

Tommy's gone because he wanted to. That's all I read into it, in fact it's all I need to read into it.

St.Johnstone FC move on, we stick together.

Starting smear campaigns against employee's at the club is just ridiculous. 

7 hours ago, mainstand said:

Coincidence??

There was about 15s of a video interview with Jason Kerr on Sky but that's about it. There will be plenty of comments by the players in the next few weeks as the papers start their speculation ("So Ali McCann just how good would Barry Bloody Ferguson be for your career now eh?")