Taxi for Tommy?

George Grieve

11 minutes ago, Cagey said:

I noticed Clelland mentioned Kirsten's name 5 or 6 times. Tommy never mentioned her once. Telling I would say.

Probably because the club are aware theres a hate campaign on the go.

TW doesnt namecheck Roddy Grant either, yet that's not some portent of doom.

37 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Probably because the club are aware theres a hate campaign on the go.

TW doesnt namecheck Roddy Grant either, yet that's not some portent of doom.

No ,he mentioned her several times as he Ken’s the hierarchy at the club.ye only get to the chairman through her.

hes highlighting exactly a problem tommy had latterly.

Just now, slf said:

No ,he mentioned her several times as he Ken’s the hierarchy at the club.ye only get to the chairman through her.

hes highlighting exactly a problem tommy had latterly.

Or he could be sooking  up to get the gig.

i prefer my previous post as I don’t think he is a sook.

make yer own mind up. I have

I think Tommy had been thinking about it for a while and probably has been close before, but as he has mentioned many times he resolved and differences with SB. Suspect Kirsteen wouldn't fight any suggestion from Tommy.

Might be best timing for Tommy and the club, more so for Tommy.

Just an observation, but Clelland seemed very 'assured' in his interview. Could just be confidence or may e he feels the timing is right for him to step up.

I suspect saints will take their time here, but I'd rather we just appointed someone and got in with it.

Now is a good time to assess the squad, watch back games from this season and identify targets. Would be interesting and tellingbif Tommy had already started the prep.

I dont know enough about kirsteen to comment, but my initial impressions from her lack of communications and visibility isn't great. I know there isn't much to be said, but I still think she should make some comment, even if it is to thank Tommy for his contribution.

Strange that Clelland said that it was out of the blue and a big shock in his interview. He said he expected Tommy to stay on for another few years. Seems to go against what Tommy had said about it being planned for a while, but now being the opportune time. Surely that’s something you’d tell your Assistant about.

18 minutes ago, Linky said:

Strange that Clelland said that it was out of the blue and a big shock in his interview. He said he expected Tommy to stay on for another few years. Seems to go against what Tommy had said about it being planned for a while, but now being the opportune time. Surely that’s something you’d tell your Assistant about.

Or he is brown nosing

9 hours ago, Linky said:

Ties in with the idea TW was thinking about it for a while, mainly down to his wife living away from him.

Hes spent the last month or so living back at home with her daily, and without stress (football stress anyway), and has maybe decided he wants that all the time just now while they're both still young enough to enjoy it.

If hes had a long standing agreement with Brown that if its getting too much for him personally he can walk, that would explain why it all went through so quickly, and why Brown was so easily parted with compensation if TW was poached by NI.

Or you can claim an argument he had with someone 6 months ago, an argument he had every single transfer window, caused him to quit 2 months after the season ended.

Edited by RandomGuy

30 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Ties in with the idea TW was thinking about it for a while, mainly down to his wife living away from him.

Hes spent the last month or so living back at home with her daily, and without stress (football stress anyway), and has maybe decided he wants that all the time just now while they're both still young enough to enjoy it.

If hes had a long standing agreement with Brown that if its getting too much for him personally he can walk, that would explain why it all went through so quickly, and why Brown was so easily parted with compensation if TW was poached by NI.

Or you can claim an argument he had with someone 6 months ago, an argument he had every single transfer window, caused him to quit 2 months after the season ended.

It’s painful and excruciating watching you trying to peddle this narrative.

How about this, he had a clause in his contract that stated if the Northern Ireland job became available, he was able to be released immediately without any financial impact.

Now why would a man smack bang in the middle of successful “project” to overhaul his squad walk away with 2 years left on his contract choose to use that loophole?

Finances are definitely going to be squeezed to epic new levels this close season.

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

16 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

It’s painful and excruciating watching you trying to peddle this narrative.

How about this, he had a clause in his contract that stated if the Northern Ireland job became available, he was able to be released immediately without any financial impact.

Now why would a man smack bang in the middle of successful “project” to overhaul his squad walk away with 2 years left on his contract choose to use that loophole?

My narrative is that TW was struggling living away from his wife for the past decade, and the contract he signed two years ago was agreed by all parties to be his last one.

His initial intention wouldve been to rebuild the squad, and then leave at the end of the deal, but him and Brown had an agreement he could walk at any point if TW felt it was time for him to go.

The combination of how stressful this season was, and him getting the opportunity to live at home for a few months, led to him deciding now, with the squad in a strong position and the new season potentially a year away, was the best moment to hand over the reigns.

That's what I believe.

And of course finances will be "squeezed", what a ridiculous criticism that'll be considering nobody has any clue when football will restart and clubs have already gone 2 months without income.

Edited by RandomGuy

9 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Wright's assistant manager not knowing about it "ties in" with it? Bit of a stretch. 

I believe it was a long term plan, cut short, due to circumstances. 

I dont think he intended to stay longer than his current contract, but I do believe if the season hadnt stopped and he hadnt spent so long at home, that he'd have seen that contract to the end.

I suspect Steve Brown and Tommy Wright were the only two people who discussed thay sort of thing. Cleland would maybe just have known this would be Wrights last contract at the club.

Edited by RandomGuy

1 hour ago, The Real Saints said:

Presumably due to the well-established rules of furlough. 

furlough has the completely opposite impact as the club have no control over the players and staff on furlough, thus could not tell them not to go on social media. 

1 hour ago, mainstand said:

furlough has the completely opposite impact as the club have no control over the players and staff on furlough, thus could not tell them not to go on social media. 

Disagree. I work in a retail job and we were specifically told that we can’t discuss anything related to our job on social media whilst on furlough, otherwise the company may lose its right to receive furlough pay. I imagine the same applies ten-fold for football clubs. Any furloughed player tweeting about Saints-related stuff could be quoted  by the local media and counted as ‘participating in media work’ for the club, as bizarre as that sounds. It is no coincidence that the only current players and staff members who have made a public statement about Tommy’s departure are the ones who have been kept off the furlough scheme ‘for any media activities’.

Edited by The Real Saints

7 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

But, if he'd been thinking about it for a while, wouldn't he have told his Assistant that? Clelland seemed to think Tommy was going to give it a bit longer. I don't go in for the conspiracy theories, but I think at least the long-term plan of Tommy leaving in 2 or so years time has been cut short.

Also, if I was Clelland, I'd have got my facts straight and made sure that my interview matched up with Tommy's, just for PR reasons! Say that you knew he was going to leave for a while now, but you didn't know it was going to happen right now.

2 hours ago, Linky said:

But, if he'd been thinking about it for a while, wouldn't he have told his Assistant that? Clelland seemed to think Tommy was going to give it a bit longer. I don't go in for the conspiracy theories, but I think at least the long-term plan of Tommy leaving in 2 or so years time has been cut short.

Also, if I was Clelland, I'd have got my facts straight and made sure that my interview matched up with Tommy's, just for PR reasons! Say that you knew he was going to leave for a while now, but you didn't know it was going to happen right now.

The main argument RandomGuy has is that Tommy was missing his wife after 10 years in Scotland.

Completely ignoring the fact that she actually moved over here for a lengthy period and spent just as much time here as she did in Northern Ireland.

I get that RandomGuy is trying to protect the club from negative press which could impact the image of the club.

Even more worrying for me is that it could also impact potential new managers decisions - would they come in and be willing to work under the new regime?

Supporters aren’t daft - they are smelling a bit more than just a rat on this occasion.