Taxi for Tommy?

George Grieve

If Tommy gets the Motherwell gig then I would think that he will have to adhere to their policy regarding signings which appears to be that they want to progress players, move them on and get decent money for them.

Do not think that would apply to Spoony or Davidson, maybe Gordon especially if  Gallacher goes to Celtic as rumoured and unsure of Tanser improving that much to generate a fee.

2 hours ago, rik2304 said:

I'd personally be surprised and a little disappointed if TW just came after our tried and tested players. 

Not because of any loyalty but because he'd surely want to benefit from a bigger budget and better scouting.

We all know Tommy likes to go for players he's worked with before. He did it constantly while he was at Saints. Why would he not want to bring in players who he trusts, who he knows will play for him and who he knows will fit his system?

He might also fancy Liam Craig as a player-coach if Saints aren't going to offer him anything.

4 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

We all know Tommy likes to go for players he's worked with before. He did it constantly while he was at Saints. Why would he not want to bring in players who he trusts, who he knows will play for him and who he knows will fit his system?

He might also fancy Liam Craig as a player-coach if Saints aren't going to offer him anything.

At my age the memory not great. Remind me of the players Tommy signed that he had previously worked with.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

I've pretty much convinced myself that he worked that way because of financial constraints put on him by Brown.

51 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

He signed Danny Swanson 3 times, MOH 3 times, brought May back, and also brought Craig back (worked him in Lomas season), from memory.

I know about them but they were just re_signings and non as good as they were first time round apart from Craig.

9 hours ago, garydavidson said:

No offence but it really isn't important how nice she is to you both - she was enough to cause our greatest ever manager to walk out of the door. The manager has a completely different relationship to her than fans and it just isn't comparable.

I can't see anything but bad news for us if Tommy does go to Motherwell, no doubt they will get those six free points again but he can squeeze far more points from winning positions that Callum has managed thus far.

You quite clearly haven't read what I said as in where she is always looking for a solution. Also I have spoke to her about things I can’t mention here. Not a secret matter but a development issue. Just trust me she isn’t the person everyone thinks of from bad news at Killie. 

11 hours ago, garydavidson said:

No offence but it really isn't important how nice she is to you both - she was enough to cause our greatest ever manager to walk out of the door. The manager has a completely different relationship to her than fans and it just isn't comparable.

I can't see anything but bad news for us if Tommy does go to Motherwell, no doubt they will get those six free points again but he can squeeze far more points from winning positions that Callum has managed thus far.

The wicked witch of the west scared poor Tommy away aw diddums. 

I think there is more to Tommy leaving that his relationship with KR. 

She was very open when I spoke to her about her role at the club and how she was not brought in to deal with the footballing side but took that role on after Paul left and then came back to work on the lottery.

Interestingly seen Paul Smiths picture in a few shots when team was coming back is he now back doing the footballing side?

Strange how Callum seems to have a good working relationship with her. 

3 hours ago, rik2304 said:

I've pretty much convinced myself that he worked that way because of financial constraints put on him by Brown.

But the club pushed the boa get MOH and Danny back both as last minute signings when the transfer window was nearly closed. 

I think he the main ones he would look to get would be from the backroom staff Paul Mather and Alex Clelland. 

Edited by mainstand

12 hours ago, rik2304 said:

I think it was probably a bit of both reasons - I'm sure you're right that it was partly due to the budget issues and the lack of scouting system, but I think it's also pretty clear that he was generally keen on bringing in players who he knew could do a job here, rather than taking chances on - say - riskier signings from other leagues.

12 hours ago, Cagey said:

I know about them but they were just re_signings and non as good as they were first time round apart from Craig.

That doesn't alter the point, which is that he often targeted players who he'd already worked with in the past. And Random's list only includes the ones he was successful in signing - for all we know there may have been others he tried to bring back. He's openly said since leaving that he wanted to get Macca back from Hearts, for example.

8 hours ago, mainstand said:

The wicked witch of the west scared poor Tommy away aw diddums. 

Not sure what to make of this comment. I have no idea what Tommy's relationship was with KR or with anyone else, but I'd have thought most adults appreciate that if you have to work closely with someone who you have a difficult relationship with, it can be enough to make you want to look for work elsewhere.

55 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Not sure what to make of this comment. I have no idea what Tommy's relationship was with KR or with anyone else, but I'd have thought most adults appreciate that if you have to work closely with someone who you have a difficult relationship with, it can be enough to make you want to look for work elsewhere.

Blueheaven it was in respect of the comments that KR was to blame solely for Tommy moving on. of course you have to have a good working relationship with the folk you work with and to, and of course having a  poor working relationship with someone will force you to consider options. 

As much as I like Tommy,  I don't think he was the easiest person in the world to work with. Look at the spats he had with the chairman and going to the press over his transfer dealings. I have no doubt Tommy would give as good as he got in most rows with KR. 

22 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Gordon, Tanser, Davidson, Wotherspoon and May all spring to mind, and who all might fancy joining him due to their careers under him.

I'm not saying they would all leave, but those are the ones who might have a connection with him and be tempted, especially with our current position.

Gordon, Tanser, Davidson, Wotherspoon, May, MOH, Craig ,etc. etc.

The problem with players resigning or going to Motherwell or any the other bottom half teams, no one knows which division they will be playing in. Most if not all will keep their powder dry until a team is safe. Or if offered a pre contract may indicate they will sign when the team is safe from relegation.

17 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

Alexander was suggested and got some support in our poll to replace Tommy. Now we will see just how good he is in this league

He seemed to be doing quite well at Salford when he got sacked. Can't imagine he'll come cheap for Motherwell. I guess his knowledge of the English lower league market might have been seen as a big tick for them.