Taxi for Tommy?

George Grieve

Genuinely devastated by this. Best manager in our history by a long, long way and I saw him as our Alex Ferguson or Dario Gradi - I honestly thought he had a job at Saints for life. At this stage I find it incredibly difficult to see anyone else being able to step into his shoes and match up to what he has achieved.

The club absolutely must acknowledge his achievements in a permanent way - in my view either with a statue, or by naming a stand after him.

I guess the club might wait a while before appointing his successor - there seems little point in paying big wages to a manager when we might not have a match, or even be able to train, for months. We may also find over the coming months that some potential targets become available who wouldn't otherwise have been within our reach. In the meantime, I guess Alec Cleland becomes caretaker? With no manager in place to push for the re-signings of out of contract players, I guess this also makes it even more likely that guys like Drey Wright will be allowed to go.

Just one thought: if Tommy now ends up getting the NI job, that'll mean Saints missing out on a big compensation payment. Can't imagine Steve Brown would be chuffed about that. Especially given how annoyed he apparently was about the club spending money on a couple of new TVs, according to Tommy's leaving interview!

Thankyou Tommy!

I still can't watch Ando's header at the back post without tears welling up in my eyes! What a day!

The Euro nights, the sustained success. ****ing brilliant! 

You are a big sexy north of Ireland bassa and I ****ing love you! 

Forget naming a stand after him, he deserves Wright Park.

All the best big man, you are a true legend!

Sad day, best manager we've had in my time and that goes back to 1946.

Can't make my mind up whether there is anything behind his departure other than what he has said.  The club statement does suggest some sort of settlement.  Don't think he is trying to make himself more attractive for the NI job though he may have done so nonetheless.

Time might tell.

I started watching Saints in the 71/72 season and talk about it as the end of the Ormond era.

I'm thinking today of all the young kids who go along now, in 40 or 50 years time they'll be reminiscing about the Wright era. Long after many of us have gone.

I wonder how many managers we'll have gone through by then.

Sad to see him go but he owes the club and fans nothing.

Best manager I'm likely to see and I feel sorry for the replacement.

Looks like this has been on the cards for a while, whatever the reasons are. Glad he's left on amicable terms, leaving a great squad (well, at least it is at the moment), with no hint of am embarrassing Hearts/Dundee esque drama.

Hope he gets the NI job, must still be a candidate.

Only worry i have is that Tommy seems to have been the reason a lot of players come/stay/return. Will the squad have as good a relationship with the new manager.

Hopefully this saves us a wee bit of cash and gives us time to look for a replacement. Hoping for a left field appointment as would hate to see a former great come in and leave under a cloud again. Would love if Cuptie could be involved though at some level.

The football landscape north and south of the border is going to look vastly different when things start up again, perhaps Saints will be in a very good position to take advantage of players and managers looking for a new, stable employer. It'll be a buyers market with every club cutting their cloth. 

30 minutes ago, SaintJet said:

Listening to off the ball tonight - "Biscuits" and Stuart had a guarded back and forth which basically confirmed that the reason that Tommy left was because of Kirsten - this is f@@@ing tragic!

Farewell Tommy - and thanks for all the memories. You will never be forgotten.

If true this is a disgrace

38 minutes ago, sixties saintee said:

Off the Ball will be available tomorrow on BBC Sounds podcast if anyone wants to listen but it's tough go listen to without coming to the conclusion that Tommy had had enough of that bitch; Killie parted ways with her for the same reason.

1 hour ago, SaintJet said:

Listening to off the ball tonight - "Biscuits" and Stuart had a guarded back and forth which basically confirmed that the reason that Tommy left was because of Kirsten - this is f@@@ing tragic!

Farewell Tommy - and thanks for all the memories. You will never be forgotten.

1 hour ago, sixties saintee said:

Lets not start a witch hunt.

TW pretty much admitted the day to day running of Saints was getting to him 2 years ago and theyd talked about him leaving then. Way I read it is it was agreed then he would stay and build a strong young team, and then take his leave knowing the club was in a strong position for the next man.

Heres words from Tommy Wright himself

Screenshot_20200502-141108_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b8108fe21d13d9963df22c80bd494a48.jpg

Sorry Random but have to disagree. A compromise agreement will have been signed by TW preventing any negative comments from him but ask yourself why so many people with close connections to the Club are stating problems over the relationship between KR and TW.

Just now, yahoorsir said:

Sorry Random but have to disagree. A compromise agreement will have been signed by TW preventing any negative comments from him but ask yourself why so many people with close connections to the Club are stating problems over the relationship between KR and TW.

I'd rather be wrong by believing the managers own words, than be wrong and hound an innocent person.

25 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

I'd rather be wrong by believing the managers own words, than be wrong and hound an innocent person.

Listen to the last minute of his interview & look at his expression. I have no doubt it was because of Robertson.

17 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Listen to the last minute of his interview & look at his expression. I have no doubt it was because of Robertson.

Maybe, maybe you're just seeing what you want to.

I highly doubt he would walk purely because of her, and fully believe it's just got too much and he wants a break, especially since hes done that in previous jobs.

23 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Maybe, maybe you're just seeing what you want to.

I highly doubt he would walk purely because of her, and fully believe it's just got too much and he wants a break, especially since hes done that in previous jobs.

Yeah. I think the same. 

He’s had time to evaluate and this way he goes out on a high. 

High chance things could go downhill after Covid for most clubs, and is it worth risking that for the chance of maybe a 5th place finish next term.

I suspect the man is probably an open book, and with what he’s achieved in Perth, he earned the right to leave on his own terms. 

I suspect there are a few people who are reading between the lines on the statement, and are finding Kirsten Robertson as a convenient hate figure. 

For those that think there is something in this I think it is worth pointing out that from what I was told she was not originally brought in to deal with the footballing side and only took that on when Paul Smith originally left.  

From what I can see in 2 different reports Tommy's wife had moved back to Ireland to stay. It is obvious that this will play a major part in his decision to move back. 

The decision to leave now instead of in 3 or 4 months time also makes sense in that it allows the new manager to take come tough decisions with regards to players contracts and who he wants to stay. Would have been crazy to have left it until after the season was over and players had gone out of contract.

Also given taht this appears to have been on the cards for some time now I would likely to hope that Saints have a clear plan on who they want in and would have spoken to possible candidates.  

I would take Alec Clelland, Graeme Jones Paul Sheerin or Callum Davidson what i would not want was someone like levein or McCoist. Giving yound enthusiastic managers a chance has worked until now so why change a winning formula.

18 minutes ago, mainstand said:

I suspect there are a few people who are reading between the lines on the statement, and are finding Kirsten Robertson as a convenient hate figure. 

For those that think there is something in this I think it is worth pointing out that from what I was told she was not originally brought in to deal with the footballing side and only took that on when Paul Smith originally left.  

From what I can see in 2 different reports Tommy's wife had moved back to Ireland to stay. It is obvious that this will play a major part in his decision to move back. 

The decision to leave now instead of in 3 or 4 months time also makes sense in that it allows the new manager to take come tough decisions with regards to players contracts and who he wants to stay. Would have been crazy to have left it until after the season was over and players had gone out of contract.

Also given taht this appears to have been on the cards for some time now I would likely to hope that Saints have a clear plan on who they want in and would have spoken to possible candidates.  

I would take Alec Clelland, Graeme Jones Paul Sheerin or Callum Davidson what i would not want was someone like levein or McCoist. Giving yound enthusiastic managers a chance has worked until now so why change a winning formula.

Not Cleland. He's a nice guy, but he certainly ain't a young manager, he must be about 50. He's been with us a while - a poor record in previous  caretaker post, unsuccessful in going for other posts and a decade later still here. Lack of ambition?

I am not sure about Callum Davidson either -pretty depressing and poor record and when interviewed whilst assistant manager came across as everything was just a big joke.  We need a leader, an inspirational champion, able to unite a dressing room and galvanise a team.  

Let's keep looking......

53 minutes ago, mainstand said:

The "winning formula", referring to Wright? He was no spring chicken when appointed. 50? And a relative unkown as a manager. But he proved himself under Lomas. Agree about Cleland,  I don't think Saints will take their time- what about the transfer season? We'd want someone in place for that. Whenever it occurs. Not much advance warning Broon got. By the sounds of it very little,  given that TW read his resignation letter to his wife the night before. 

7 hours ago, mainstand said:

Robert Thomson in the Sun crediting the disastrous January transfer window with Tommy leaving. Isn't he one of the journalists that is correct on everything Saints?

Tommy is hardly going to pin the blame on someone in a leaving interview. Some reports also say his wife never lived in Perth.

It is a damn shame we are discussing our greatest ever manager in a thread with this title. It is also appalling that there is the possibility he left because of Steve or Kirsten. Sad times indeed and we are now faced with the biggest decision since we sacked Totten and replaced him with a hopeless manager.

7 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

The "winning formula", referring to Wright? He was no spring chicken when appointed. 50? And a relative unkown as a manager. But he proved himself under Lomas. Agree about Cleland,  I don't think Saints will take their time- what about the transfer season? We'd want someone in place for that. Whenever it occurs. Not much advance warning Broon got. By the sounds of it very little,  given that TW read his resignation letter to his wife the night before. 

Broon already said he knew who would replace Tommy if he left

8 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

I think we will take our time, as it'll save money. I think Brown would be quite happy to just sign up some of the contracts that have finished, just before football starts up again, and we'd appoint a manager around the same time (although it might be that an agreement would be in place already). Transfer window? Given the current financial situation, apart from perhaps signing Holt, I can't see that any deals will be done.

2 hours ago, garydavidson said:

Robert Thomson in the Sun crediting the disastrous January transfer window with Tommy leaving. Isn't he one of the journalists that is correct on everything Saints?

Tommy is hardly going to pin the blame on someone in a leaving interview. Some reports also say his wife never lived in Perth.

It is a damn shame we are discussing our greatest ever manager in a thread with this title. It is also appalling that there is the possibility he left because of Steve or Kirsten. Sad times indeed and we are now faced with the biggest decision since we sacked Totten and replaced him with a hopeless manager.

Robert Thomson usually has the inside track on Saints so I believe most of what is said in the article.

• PS Sixties will go apeshit to find you read the sun 

8 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Robert Thomson usually has the inside track on Saints so I believe most of what is said in the article.

• PS Sixties will go apeshit to find you read the sun 

He was absolutely miles out with most of the Stevie May saga this summer.