Andy Murray - Scotland's (and Britain's?) Greatest Ever Sportsman?

The Inspiration

Sad to hear of his impending retirement.

Seems to have started a debate across the media - social and print - as to where he ranks amongst Scottish and British sportsmen.

For me, he ranks highest in my lifetime. Chris Hoy comes a close second for me.

The names of Lewis Hamilton, Anthony Joshua and Ronnie O'Sullivan have all been mentioned with regards to current competing sportsmen but Murray shades ahead for me.

Its tough when your talking about different sports and im sure their are a few more that should be considered the likes of Bradley Wiggins, Chris Froome, steve Redgrave , Mo Farah and lennox Lewis.

I wouldnt consider Joshua til he beats the best.

For Murray to win Grand Slams and to reach no.1 in an era with Federer, Djokovic and Nadal is some achievement  

12 hours ago, blueheaven said:

He's got to be up there as one of Scotland's greatest, but not sure if he's top. Stephen Hendry (world champion 7 times) would surely have to be right up there? Assuming you count snooker as a sport, obvs.

I just can't see any comparison between tennis and snooker. Sure, it takes great mental strength to play snooker, but tennis requires that too, plus the astonishing physical strength of these guys. Those five hour matches are brutal, and yet their quality doesn't dip. Any of us on here wouldn't be able to walk after an hour running around with those guys.

It was Murray's bad luck to be around when there were three giants of the game. And yet he still won Grand Slams and Olympic medals. That means he's right up there as one of the greats. I'm not really a big tennis fan (partner is) but when those four get playing each other the intensity is simply astounding.