Celtic v Saints, Premiership, 30 Jan 2019

slf

24 minutes ago, mainstand said:

I take it some would have prefer if we went to parkhead with a 4 4 2 and got humped 6 0. 

Nothing wrong with being defensive if you can do it well. It was more the choice of the forward players that made it a negative line up for me.

I never saw the game but the line up makes me think it was basically try and hit a ball somewhere O'Halloran can run and get it but then be no where near the goal and have zero support.

Was Watt injured or is he saving it for Sunday? Obviously 3 games in 11 days against them doesn't help but you can be defensive without hampering you chance of getting a shot on target.

Edited by garydavidson

The plan worked for 88 minutes out of the 90.

Lost the 2 goals 52 and 54 minutes,

Defended well and tried at the start to defend from the front by pressing Bain to force him to kick out.

Got pushed back and MOH was coming far to far back to give us any hope of an out ball.

Will be interesting to see what personnel are used on Sunday and the formation.

Think they will get over confident in the next two games so question is do we want to beat them in the league or in the cup?

3 minutes ago, Templar Saint said:

The plan worked for 88 minutes out of the 90.

Lost the 2 goals 52 and 54 minutes,

Defended well and tried at the start to defend from the front by pressing Bain to force him to kick out.

Got pushed back and MOH was coming far to far back to give us any hope of an out ball.

Will be interesting to see what personnel are used on Sunday and the formation.

Think they will get over confident in the next two games so question is do we want to beat them in the league or in the cup?

Aye.

33 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

Nothing wrong with being defensive if you can do it well. It was more the choice of the forward players that made it a negative line up for me.

I never saw the game but the line up makes me think it was basically try and hit a ball somewhere O'Halloran can run and get it but then be no where near the goal and have zero support.

Was Watt injured or is he saving it for Sunday? Obviously 3 games in 11 days against them doesn't help but you can be defensive without hampering you chance of getting a shot on target.

To lose two goals from crosses from Lustic sums it up.Where was Tanser & Spoony.

18 minutes ago, Cagey said:

To lose two goals from crosses from Lustic sums it up.Where was Tanser & Spoony.

THe goals not shots from 18 and 20 yards out?? 

Both from what I can see were passes inside from lusting and involved driving in towards goal. 

Edited by mainstand

Not the worst match I’ve seen there but like a training match for Celtic. We sat defending mostly on our 18 yard box and offered little by way of attack. You wonder how Celtic could make space to get shots in with it so crowded to play around. The stats are ridiculous. Aside from the 31% possession the shots on goal were 1-21, corners 2-9 and goalkeeper saves 7-0.

All of that apart I was impressed by the light show as it did add something to the atmosphere apart from light pollution. At least they’re trying to do something a bit different. Dim with flashing/swirling lights until just before kick off when everything suddenly lights up fully in sync with the sound system. I saw one of our fans at half time clearly singing ‘With a four leafed clover on my chest, and the green and white upon my breast’ - I was not impressed with this young twenty something man - damn tune is stuck in my head this morning, my worst nightmare ear worm! No wonder they’re brainwashed listening to that every time.

On Saturday, we played poorly in a shape that wasn't the best. There were things to be critical about.

Last night though, we were just up against a very good team that were on it. What impressed me more than anything about them was how relentless they are without the ball. It's obviously easier to work when you aren't doing it for the full 90 minutes but the way they pressed us when we had the ball made it so hard.

We need to find a way to combat that and it'll mean being brave and smart on the ball. The manager has admitted he has a part to play in the system but the players need to play to the top of their game to give us any chance. 

Celtic rope-a-dope you a bit, they are patient and move, move, move the ball but it tires the opposition out then Rodgers makes a small tweak and you see what happened in the opening spell of the second half. 

Lights show was good but the music a bit loud. 

Maybe if we were fighting to stay in the league then I would have been disappointed with the result and lack of shots. I dont think anyone would expect us to get the points. Would like to see Saints have more of a go in the cup. We've no chance of winning the league stopping the treble would be good.