Saints v Hibs 27/02

Tranmere Saintee

I couldn't see see if it was a penalty or not from where I was sitting, but I'm guessing that it wasn't from the reaction here and what Tommy's said. 

And that's all very interesting but if we can't win from being a goal up, and by far the best team on the park, I despair. 

That was a decent team we put out, played well until the equaliser then the heads just totally went. Could not do the basics at all and thier second was an embarassment. 

I need to calm down. 

46 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Game swung on the ref bottling a red card, then handing them a penalty for a clear dive.

Main issue is how poor we were after the equaliser, was like watching a different team. Had played really well up until then, and suddenly became a team who rushed every pass out the park and didn't look threatening in the slightest, that's a huge problem.

Against 11Tanser was pushing forward. Against 10 he didn't seem to push up as far & his passes were going out for throws. Joe kept giving the ball away or putting out of play.

Subing Spoony & putting Alston wide left was strange & then he put Swanson left & putting Alston in where he should be soon after.

I don't know why he persists with Watt. He flatters to deceive & spends his time trying to win fouls which the ref soon susses out.  Doesn't link with Kane.

Deserved to win that game as we dominated most of the game.

Ref had a good game but was conned with the pen.

4 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

St Johnstone manager Tommy Wright: "I feel sorry for referees when players are prepared to go to ground that easy, as if they've been hit by a 40-foot truck. I went to see him [the referee] and he thought there was more contact than there was. When he sees it back he'll know that he's basically been conned.

"I can't blame the referee. The blame lies with one person, and he [Kamberi] has won his team a penalty."

Aye and if spoony hadn't pissed about in possession in the first place ref wouldn't have had to make the decision, still a blatant dive and we were getting nothing of that linesman at the east stand side.

When went against ten to many floaty efforts to the back posts, and the lack of composure on the ball at times from tanser, Joe and Craig is awful and just leads to more slackness spreading through the team. At the moment no fussed if Joe or Tony sign on, not doing it for me.

Three points lost, players need to look at themselves and the manager needs to get it lifted for a big 5 games coming up, as top six still there.

Really angry about that performance.  Spoony got the nod tonight in spite of his performance on Saturday.

Foster and Tanser's "passing" was dreadful - especially second half.  We threw the ball out from throw in on Saturday tonight we simply kicked it out.

Cammy playing the Henry Smith show of "drop the ball".

Kane's shot in the second half was reflective of our scoring impotency- pathetic - OK he got his first goal of the season tonight.

Really angry about Tommy failing to see where the threat second half was coming from.  Spoony continually dragging himsef into the middle and giving Gray acres of space.  Substituting him for Alston was 20 minutes too late.

Pretty worrying that we cant do the basics properly. 

We move into March and its been a dire 2019 thus far sadly, with little signs of progress.

A very good example of how to throw away three points. irrespective of the rights or wrongs of the penalty decision - it stemmed from another piece of inept play by Wotherspoon Second goal was a shocker - leave a midfielder unmarked 30 yards from goal with as much time as he liked to pick a pass; this with a one man advantage - fantastic. Witherspoon adds nothing defensively and flatters to deceive going forward - high time Alston / Swanson given an opportunity. Can anyone explain why TW pulled Kennedy - for me the only real creative player - bizarre.

From feeling quite confident at half time to totally deflated and pissed off at full time; the joys of being a Saints supporter!

1 hour ago, Kinnoull Kicker said:

A very good example of how to throw away three points. irrespective of the rights or wrongs of the penalty decision - it stemmed from another piece of inept play by Wotherspoon Second goal was a shocker - leave a midfielder unmarked 30 yards from goal with as much time as he liked to pick a pass; this with a one man advantage - fantastic. Witherspoon adds nothing defensively and flatters to deceive going forward - high time Alston / Swanson given an opportunity. Can anyone explain why TW pulled Kennedy - for me the only real creative player - bizarre.

From feeling quite confident at half time to totally deflated and pissed off at full time; the joys of being a Saints supporter!

Liam Craig should have closed Omiago down & Joe shouldn't have let McNulty run off him.

McNulty shouldn't have been playing after kicking the Dundee guy in the face last week.

Blatant dive by Kambari.

That was a complete capitulation. After half an hour I couldn't see us drawing that game never mind losing.  The pen was criminal but that doesn't cover up how we tamely let 10 men wind the game down before the sucker punch. 

Kane was excellent up front leading the line-  his work rate is brilliant and he will get goals for all his hard work soon. Don't agree about Tony - he is excellent and we need to have him in the team for his guile. How TW stays with Spoony is a mystery for to me; he is a complete liability and the game just passes him by. Foster was again playing with two left feet and the lack of composure just spread across the back line. Craig was far more comfortable in his role last night. 

We should have won that game handily last night - Hibs were poor. 

58 minutes ago, SaintJet said:

That was a complete capitulation. After half an hour I couldn't see us drawing that game never mind losing.  The pen was criminal but that doesn't cover up how we tamely let 10 men wind the game down before the sucker punch. 

Kane was excellent up front leading the line-  his work rate is brilliant and he will get goals for all his hard work soon. Don't agree about Tony - he is excellent and we need to have him in the team for his guile. How TW stays with Spoony is a mystery for to me; he is a complete liability and the game just passes him by. Foster was again playing with two left feet and the lack of composure just spread across the back line. Craig was far more comfortable in his role last night. 

We should have won that game handily last night - Hibs were poor. 

It's notable how often the word 'liability' is used in relation to David Wotherspoon. I know it's the done thing to moan about him but surely to god it's time to bench the guy. Every time he seems to do something 'good' it's because he's recovering a mistake he's made; he seems to have little positional sense; he's not quick; he seems not to know when to release the ball and ties himself up in knots; he's prone to wild shots from 30 yards out that are only good for the classic 'ironic cheer' from away fans. He's just not good enough. 

Agree about Tony, and also agree that Kane is a Championship striker. I'm happy for him to be on the park against the Championship teams in this league (we know who they are), so he's a good squad player IMO. I actually thought Foster was a wee bit better last night, and agree on Craig. I know he's being criticised for lunging in for the 'penalty' which for a player with his experience isn't great, but otherwise I thought he had a decent game. 

As someone else mentioned taking Matty off was an odd call and he made it very clear that he didn't want to come off. My worry with him is that either we'll lose him or he'll go the way of Kamara at Dundee and just switch off. He is one player we absolutely must have firing on all cylinders. 

One highlight was, at last, Swanson seemed to offer something from the bench. Although that could just be the Hibs effect. 

But overall yeah, I'm filing that with Motherwell at home and Hamilton away as a point or points we've absolutely squandered this year. Hard to know what needs to happen from here to make top 6, but I'd start with hooking Spoony for Alston and trying to get some competition for places for the fullbacks as they need a bit of a rocket. Matty up front with Watt is our best striking option but with MOH crocked, seemingly for the long term although who knows, it leaves us a bit short. Do hope that Drey Wright comes back as the player he was pre-injury but how often does that happen?

Edit because I forgot .. Cammy Bell. It's not as if we weren't warned. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

Need to find what our best team is and stick with it! At the end of the day as much as I love Tommy Wright he is a goalkeeper so you have to wonder about tactics... but hey it is Saints we are talking about! We aren’t going to be relegated so Tommy should concentrate on building his strongest team... disappointing to think we can contain Sevco then buckle under a substandard Hibs side...

1 hour ago, Wendy Saints said:

Need to find what our best team is and stick with it! At the end of the day as much as I love Tommy Wright he is a goalkeeper so you have to wonder about tactics... but hey it is Saints we are talking about! We aren’t going to be relegated so Tommy should concentrate on building his strongest team... disappointing to think we can contain Sevco then buckle under a substandard Hibs side...

What on earth has the fact that he is a goalkeeper got to do with it. 

2 hours ago, Wendy Saints said:

I thought for the first 60 mins we had that team. Craig back in his best position & we looked like the team we were before the break. After the sending off we got slack & complacent.

Wrights substitutions as usual were too late & baffling. Why do they take so long from the player getting stripped & the board going up. I don't think the guy can work the board.

Sportscene experts thought the guy shouldn't have been sent off. They only see the excerpts and on the strength of highlights it wasn't a second booking but they didn't even show the tackle on Kane that might have been a sending off on its own.

Stewart can see how the ref gave the pen.

Regardless of the shityy run were on . I'm delighted with the amazing season we've had

The 3 celtic games knocked the crap out of us remember Dundee UTD and Motherwell they too had this and was screwed for the rest of the season and look what happened 

I'm glad we have time to recoup set up a formation and hopefully get our best team ready for next season as the run in wont be pretty suck it up Saintees and be thankful for the brilliant run in the SPFL and its not over... Great to be a Saints fan and still playing with the big boys

• 3 weeks later...