Saints v Saints 16/3/2019

Cagey

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

I think it was"all over the place" more than back 4.

Whilst I am on. Why the feck were the fans in east stand booing when we were keeping ball in corner. We have been caught out with breakaways late in games before & we NEEDED that win.

First point I agree with. Tanser had a ten minute spell of having to deal with a full back and attacker doubling up on him, as Craig was being forced central to deal with a midfielder, and Davidson/Callachan weren't moving out the middle either. Shaughnessy was having a nightmare by that point and causing extra confusion to everything.

TW shifted Craig left, and tried to push Foster on, but what happened was Kerr still played like a CB, and Foster refused to bother defending as he was now technically a midfielder and didn't feel it was his place. A few times he just stands and stares as a left winger gets a cross away, before gesturing at Kerr.

Second point I sway on. We needed the win and that was the sensible professional approach, but its soul destroying to watch that. St Mirren were a man down, over committing, and there were 5 minutes left. Theres been almost no entertainment at McDiarmid for years, so I can fully understand why those who only attend home games are frustrated when we're time wasting against one of the worst top flight teams this decade.

2 hours ago, Cagey said:

Why the feck were the fans in east stand booing when we were keeping ball in corner. We have been caught out with breakaways late in games before & we NEEDED that win.

anti football strikes again, every season, we are treated to it. Got me laughing as we did it very well v Stmirren. Typically all we do is waste 10 seconds, and they get a goal kick or throw.  However it looks like we've been working on the time wasting in training.  Wish they'd do the same level of work for kick offs and throw ins.  For the record I fkn hate when we take the ball into the corner. Booo!  Stick your anti football!   

Edited by Dave H

28 minutes ago, Dave H said:

anti football strikes again, every season, we are treated to it. Got me laughing as we did it very well v Stmirren. Typically all we do is waste 10 seconds, and they get a goal kick or throw.  However it looks like we've been working on the time wasting in training.  Wish they'd do the same level of work for kick offs and throw ins.  For the record I fkn hate when we take the ball into the corner. Booo!  Stick your anti football!   

I was loving it. Say what you like about Tony Watt, but he is a very hard man to take posession from. Genuine baller.

I wonder if we can re-purpose him as a midfielder? He doesn't seem to want to be the penalty box striker Tommy wants him to be, or we need him to be, but he has so many good attributes it just seems a shame to waste them. Maybe he would flourish with less pressure to rattle the goals in as he doesn't seem to have the temperament or like the pressure. 

Oh and at no point did we switch to a back 4. Certainly not deliberately anyway. 

49 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

I was loving it. Say what you like about Tony Watt, but he is a very hard man to take posession from. Genuine baller.

I wonder if we can re-purpose him as a midfielder? He doesn't seem to want to be the penalty box striker Tommy wants him to be, or we need him to be, but he has so many good attributes it just seems a shame to waste them. Maybe he would flourish with less pressure to rattle the goals in as he doesn't seem to have the temperament or like the pressure. 

Oh and at no point did we switch to a back 4. Certainly not deliberately anyway. 

I am sure he played midfield or at least a 10 for Hearts & don't think he set the heather on fire.

I am sure he signed for saying he wanted to play as striker.

Our goal was apparently a gift from the fakes which is a massive disfavour to Kano who did well to win the header then continue to chase the back pass and then beautifully finish with the outside of the foot.

full credit to Callachan for racing in to calm foster down before an inevitable red.

as for the time wasting it was hardly hamiltonesque ball boys losing balls  or keepers taking 10mins to take a goal kick a at the start of the match.

i absolutely love it when we’re a goal up and head to the corner flag at the end of the game. Macca was the king at it

11 hours ago, 541ntees said:

Our goal was apparently a gift from the fakes which is a massive disfavour to Kano who did well to win the header then continue to chase the back pass and then beautifully finish with the outside of the foot.

It was a great one-two :laugh:

Still he had a lot to do for the finish, although most seem to agree he can produce the goods when he has less time to think. 

24 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

It was a great one-two :laugh:

Still he had a lot to do for the finish, although most seem to agree he can produce the goods when he has less time to think. 

I think that’s definitely true. Goals against Hibs last season and the one against St Mirren show he’s instinctive. Even the volley he had, no thinking, just hit it. Would I trust him to score a one on one, almost certainly not. But to half volley a half chance in the box, yeah probably would trust him. Problem is, he’s a poacher, the rest of his game is lacking. A number of times against St Mirren he picked up the ball and took several touches before laying it off. Each time I thought of it had been Watt, he’d have span on the spot and pushed forward towards the goal and committed men. However I don’t think Kane would have missed some of the chances Watt has this season, so if we could somehow combine them, that’d be great. 

7 hours ago, south inch said:

Thanks, you are well informed.  I was puzzled as none of the usual sources were giving the crowd.

I'm not that well informed.  I was on my way to talk to someone in the comfy seats (hospitality) and I noticed a TV screen with a plan of the stadium showing the number of fans in each stand and the total in the middle.

2 hours ago, slf said:

Does hairy eyebrows get counted

I'm sorry, the numbers only showed the different stands, not different facial hair categories.

18 hours ago, Two Js said:

I'm not that well informed.  I was on my way to talk to someone in the comfy seats (hospitality) and I noticed a TV screen with a plan of the stadium showing the number of fans in each stand and the total in the middle.

Well you are certainly observant.  That is very interesting, I did not realise Saints could tell how many were in each stand.  Makes you wonder why on the odd occasion we have a big crowd they let too many into the East Stand and then have to move the excess.

Edited by south inch