What contracts would you renew?

RandomGuy

What contracts would you renew?  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Simple idea. Vote for the players youd like to see hang around after their contracts expire this Summer. Unless I've mucked up the poll, more than possible, you'll be able to vote for more than one player.

Added in loan players who's contracts apparently expire this Summer.

Sean Goss still has another year of contract at QPR so hasn't been included.

My opinion, I'd be keeping hold of Easton on a hugely reduced one year deal. Shaughnessy would get a new deal, and McCann.

Still haven't decided on Watt, but I'd be verging on keeping him just now.

Bell, Comrie, Keown all punted.

Alston maybe controversial, but I cant see where he fits and we'll need someone to leave it we're to sign anyone this Summer, so that's him, as hes the least valuable there. Watt probably falls under the same banner but that would depend on what's available to replace him, I'd rather him than an Iwelumo.

Edited by RandomGuy

This process was moving along nicely at the start of the year but I think it'll be on hold at the moment. Unfortunate for ones that maybe haven't been spoken to but the risk you take for the players that were stalling. 

The reason I say that is that the manager may now feel we need more players/turnover this summer than he'd anticipated during the winter break and financially, the budget for next year might not be looking as healthy as it was going to be when we were in the box seat for the top six. 

I still think a number of the guys listed have a bit to prove, with Shaughnessy the obvious exception. We could do with his future being resolved though, both so he can concentrate on his football and so Tommy Wright can plan for the future if need be. 

I actually think Alston has had a decent season but seems to have been frozen out since the winter break. Maybe that is a contractual issue? 

Does Watt offer value for money but equally, strikers maybe aren't easy to find with our finances and he's certainly better than plenty we've had. 

Easton needs to get a run after the split to assess him. Saints won't cut him loose if he's not fit but it doesn't benefit anyone if he's kept on and isn't going to be good enough to get a game. 

McCann and McClean seem to be doing well on loan but is there a point in just making them the next Thomson, Gilchrist, Rodger, Hurst etc... Surely they should only be getting deals if the manager genuinely believes they can push for a place and not just make up the numbers in training. 

Cammy Bell has another year at Thistle but imagine they want rid. The fact is whoever we have as the number two goalkeeper is only going to be cover for Clark. It's not one that bothers me too much. 

Can't really judge Keown and Comrie isn't good enough. Whatever the contract situation with Goss, our record since he signed is hard to ignore and I haven't been impressed with him anyway. 

And after saying all that, I wouldn't be making too many judgements at the moment. Shaughnessy is the only one I'd still be pushing for right now. 

Give McCann & McLean another year on basic contract.

Joe hopefully going to Dons.

Had high hopes for Comrie & looked OK when he took over rb when Foster injured but got injured himself & has never looked the same again.

Alston is 50/50 but doesn't look to be rated by manager & we need to free some wages for at least 2 midfielder & striker next season.

Feel Easton deserves to be given the opportunity to prove his fitness and although probably on reduced terms, should get a deal.

McCann impressed me when I saw him...but McClean has to be forcing his way in soon, or he'll be another Brown/Caddis type.

Joe & Watt should get new contracts, not sure we can get better players than what they offer. Although I accept Watt probably won't deserve to be the highest earner at the club (no idea if he is).

Alston is a decent squad player, lack of pace holds him back. Worth a place in the squad.

The other three, not for me. Haven't really been impressed with Bell. We have better already on the books than Keown and have been disappointed Comrie hasn't made more of an impression and really put pressure on Foster.

Only one I've voted for is Shaughnessy. I think he's the only one who at this moment in time has earned an extension. I like Watt and think he's a good player but you can't ignore his lack of league goals. Alston seems to be out of favour, Easton needs to prove his fitness and McCann and McClean will likely sort themselves out one way or another. Comrie is the one one from the players on permanent contracts that I'd say is definitely on the road out. He hasn't appeared since the opening day of the season.

I probably wouldn't keep any of the loanees to be honest. Bell might be alright as back up but Keown hasn't played and our record with Goss in the team is horrendous. I'm sure he'd be perfectly capable at this level but the team doesn't really suit him.

22 minutes ago, andrew said:

Joe will almost certainly be away. I’d guess not necessarily to Aberdeen.

See this is almost inevitable and yet Tommy clings on in hope and plays Joe, letting a very capable, contracted for next season, Liam Gordon sit about doing **** all. Grow a ****ing set you big Irish b****** and tell Joe to sign on or **** off, thanks.

4 hours ago, andy rhodes fancy watch said:

See this is almost inevitable and yet Tommy clings on in hope and plays Joe, letting a very capable, contracted for next season, Liam Gordon sit about doing **** all. Grow a ****ing set you big Irish b****** and tell Joe to sign on or **** off, thanks.

Maybe not quite how I’d phrase it but our intent is closely aligned :)

• 2 weeks later...

I like Alston but I didn't see the point in giving him his last contract when he was struggling to get in the team, and see even less point this time round. He's never going to be a first choice option through the middle, and he's not going to get a game out wide ahead of MOH and Wright.

Shaughnessy I'd want to stay, but I assume he's not going to.

From what I've seen of Watt I think he could still be a goalscorer for us if he can get his form back up, so I'd like to see him get another chance with a fresh start here next season.

McCann and McLean seem to be good young players but can anyone honestly see them playing much? Might be better to take the combined wages of Alston, McCann and McLean and sign one better midfielder.

Easton I'm sure we will (rightly) stand by and he'll have something on the table from us for next season (unless he wants to leave).

I'd like to see us try to bring back Callum Davidson for next season.

Alston gives you a horses for courses option. He would provide discipline on the right if you had Swanson/Kennedy/O'Halloran on the left and didn't want two out-and-out wingers.

I think in a formation like we used at Motherwell last week, Alston is the obvious option to provide a bit more support for a striker in the midfield three. Kane was far too isolated last week.

But he's only played the equivalent 11 league games so the chairman will no doubt be taking that into account when making any offer. I know he's injured at the moment but the fact he's only started one game since the break doesn't bode well for him.