St.Johnstone V Dundee - Wednesday 3rd April

SaintJet

Comfortable, in the end. Played the game we're best at, sit in then try and counter. Gave Dundee some chances, but they fluffed both.

First goal on the counter, Hendry somehow left alone at the back post, simple goal. Second Kennedy was somehow left alone 1v1 with their full back, and simply knocked it past him, and scored.

Kennedy also had a 30 yarder just saved, Kane had a header saved from a few yards, O'Halloran had at least two cutbacks cleared in the six yard box. Could easily have been more than two.

Callachan a huge positive in the middle, could be a huge player if he does that every week. Kennedy was Kennedy, ripped the absolute pish out their entire right side in that second half. Every one of the backline solid, Craig not great on the ball but destroyed attacks and thats his job. Kane worked his **** off and showed quality on the ball, for the most part, and Hendry showed real flashes of quality and work rate. 

Pleasing performance.

Not brilliant, but much better than recent times.

Hendry took his goal well and played well I thought. Kerr strolled the game as normal, although Joe had his moments. MOH was pretty quiet.

Dundee played some nice stuff that got no where and they never looked that dangerous up front, particularly once they took Miller off. 

6 minutes ago, MrBored said:

Not brilliant, but much better than recent times.

Hendry took his goal well and played well I thought. Kerr strolled the game as normal, although Joe had his moments. MOH was pretty quiet.

Dundee played some nice stuff that got no where and they never looked that dangerous up front, particularly once they took Miller off. 

Spot on.

Dundee,especially Miller missed a few sitters or bad choices.

O'Halloran looked OK but I think he is still hampered with his hamstring as he looked to me to be limping.

Good 3 points & hopefully give them the confidence not to treat the ball like a hot potatoe.

Overall a fairly entertaining game compared to recent outings; much better from us and deserved the win, but why the f**k do we stop playing when we score?  Both our goals came when we were playing well and creating chances and then for some reason we seem completely incapable of passing the ball thereon.  When you compare it to how Motherwell got the bit between their teeth when they went one up against us on Saturday and tore us apart, we do the complete opposite and stop playing.

If Dundee had scored one of the chances in the first half or straight after half time, there's a fair chance they would have kicked on given our recent fragile state.  But they folded after that and didn't create much else at all.

Following that second half miss, Saints took control and looked really good up until the second. Kennedy and MOH were very good. Callachan brings energy but he is one of the most inconsistent players within 90 minutes as you'll see, from great touches to mis-controlling it 10 yards away!

Jason Kerr was flawless. Good game from Shaughnessy as well.  Thought our strikers gave us energy and running, but very little quality other than the opening 20 minutes. Great opening spell from Hendry and delighted for him to get the goal. Chris Kane is so frustrating when running in on goal in terms of rarely getting a shot on target, or being able to slip a teammate in.

Enjoyed O'Halloran's performance, was very mature as when he drew a few defenders to him he didn't just head down and run with it, he was happy to play a simple pass when required. If we can get the centre of midfield right, MOH, Kennedy and Wright give us some brilliant options for next season.

I really quite enjoyed myself tonight. 

First half hour was great fun. A few disorganised thoughts .. 

Kennedy was fantastic, a different player when his tail's up. MOH not as active but seems to be doing more every game. 

Callachan is an absolute machine but so frustrating with his terrible touch. The way he bombs around, commits to everything and quite often sees a nice pass is great but if he can just kill the ball a bit better. Not sure I agree with @Broon that the wingers didn't cover, from where I was sitting Kennedy was an absolute trojan in getting back and getting his foot in. Didn't see as much from MOH I have to admit. Also thought Craig did a good job in the middle. 

Nothing to complain about with the back 4 and the ball in from Foster for the first goal was a peach. 

Worth noting a couple of really good stops from Zander too. 

All in all much more like it. Always good to get wins but the only ones recently have been against the bottom 2 in table. If we finish a couple behind Hibs that will be frustrating given the collapse against them at McDairmid. 

Thought MOH looked better than he has done in ages. Some real bursts of pace where he just ran through them and gained lots of ground. Probably didnt see enough of him though. Worked well with him and matty on the wings. We had a lot of players who did well tonight but it also highlighted some of the usual suspects that still need to up their game.

Decent result against a really poor Dundee side. Kennedy had a great game, troubled their defence all night and got back to cover when needed.

Hendry always seems to impress, hope we see a bit more of him next year.

Back 4 did their job, Zander making some important stops.

Kane started well but seemed to go off the boil after his fresh air shot. Still offers a lot though.

Still concerned at the ease at which Dundee cut us open, they should have scored twice......but then we should have scored 4.

17 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

Fairly standard BBC report:

"Jim McIntyre's side are six points from safety with six games remaining, while the Perth men are eighth.

Tommy Wright's St Johnstone have now won two of their last three after a nine-game run without victory and are two points behind Motherwell in seventh."

Screenshot_2019-04-03-22-39-37.jpg

Now officially clear of relegation.

Comfortable in the end but could have been different if Dundee took some of their chances. Matty was terrific and we had good interplay up top. Some nice moves.

Seeing a lot of praise for Callachan. I don't get it. He did some good work at times and there is a player in there somewhere but his positional sense is horrendous and he gets caught the wrong side of his man time after time after time leaving us exposed. We always seem vulnerable to the counter when he plays.

2 up front. 2 wide midfielders with attacking intent.  Centre midfield up for a challenge. Back 4 unit strong. Goalkeeper saving shots, another shut out.

From top to back, classic 442, decent, demand and expect a strong finish to the season!   Enjoyed tonight, disappointing not to see the anti football in the last few minutes, where was taking the ball into the corner and shielding it?!