Joe Shaughnessy

RandomGuy

TW: "We've been trying since November to work with Joe's representative to resign him, we've offered a number of deals, gone back with deals, good deals, deals we thought would be enough. We have to plan for next year, so we've drawn a line under it aswell. Disappointed but that's football. I have to plan for next season without Joe, our deal has expired we cant wait and wait, theres comes a time and we've been more than patient."

Sounds like the club captain has taken us for a ride, in the hope our offer buys him more bargaining power down South. 

Although I've maybe misunderstood the comments of the manager. 

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

TW: "We've been trying since November to work with Joe's representative to resign him, we've offered a number of deals, gone back with deals, good deals, deals we thought would be enough. We have to plan for next year, so we've drawn a line under it aswell. Disappointed but that's football. I have to plan for next season without Joe, our deal has expired we cant wait and wait, theres comes a time and we've been more than patient."

Sounds like the club captain has taken us for a ride, in the hope our offer buys him more bargaining power down South. 

Although I've maybe misunderstood the comments of the manager. 

Do not think you have misunderstood Random, Aberdeen are getting narked with the delays in their offer to Joe and are considering pulling the plug on it.

If he comes back in to talk with Saints we should offer the very first deal offered in November on a take it or leave it 24 hour decision time.

His play of late has not been good enough and in my opinion not captain material.

Won't be the last player pissing about with a Saints deal while head is turned in many directions apart from McD.

He is now a free agent.  Thanks for your time Joe, been solid, apart when interest has been shown in last few months.  Coincidentally our form has been shit while Joe has been distracted.

Sad thing is, he might just actually be at the best point of his career and messed it up thinking there is better deals out there to better his career.

Edited by Dave H

I would have no problem at all with Joe staying,however I feel TW is right in putting the facts in the public domain.

Joe may be cutting off his nose to spite his face,but who knows.He could maybe join his brother in the stand at Tynecastle withh irregular sub appearances.

Would of liked to have seen Joe stay on, but glad the club are now putting it to bed and can plan for next season. I'd be happy to give Liam Gordon the nod- he's ready to play regular football and has always impressed when he is in the team. Bring back Ando and then possibly a cheaper fourth option at CB.

If it saves some money to put towards getting a striker that scores goals, it may well be a good thing.

Joe started the season very well, but his drop in form has coincided with the teams drop in performance. He has been a very good signing for us. There was possibly an argument he should of been dropped a few weeks back, but I'd hope Tommy now picks a team with next season in mind once Kerr returns from suspension.

I think a fair amount of this is the player trusting his agent and leaving it all with him. They seem to be waiting until the end of the season before announcing what he's up to and since Aberdeen have apparently moved onto others, I assume there is other interest from somewhere.

There is no doubt his form has been affected since the turn of the year and this situation seems to be playing a part. If he does have another option lined up that is better than us and Aberdeen, he's very lucky given his form in recent times.

While I think he is decent, he's not any better than say Anderson, just younger. I'd be quite happy to see Gordon given his chance to be first choice in the new season. 

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

Gordon should have been in the team weeks ago. The fact that Wright can't see it sums up the position we are at the moment. Not the points we have on the board but the results since break.

That’s it for me. Yes, we have more points than this time last year, but wouldn’t it have been something to see where we might have been now if our form hadn’t fallen away so dramatically? It really has been an abysmal time. In context we’ve still had a good season, but the disappointment of what we’ve watched unfold can’t be ignored. There appears to be little being done early enough to address it - loyalty to underperforming players, formations to counter opposition, etc. Appears. I’m certain that it is in the thoughts of the club.

1 hour ago, andrew said:

That’s it for me. Yes, we have more points than this time last year, but wouldn’t it have been something to see where we might have been now if our form hadn’t fallen away so dramatically? It really has been an abysmal time. In context we’ve still had a good season, but the disappointment of what we’ve watched unfold can’t be ignored. There appears to be little being done early enough to address it - loyalty to underperforming players, formations to counter opposition, etc. Appears. I’m certain that it is in the thoughts of the club.

Its been a dismal time since the high of Dens park.

Agree with all you have written.

• 2 years later...

Joe the throw the grass isn't always greener.

You gave away the foul when Middleton had you beat fair and square.

Unfortunately for you, Middleton and the Real Saints benefitted from your indiscretion when he fired in an exceptional free kick which proved to be the winner, with your ex Sevco keeper transfixed and rooted to his line.

1 hour ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Joe the throw the grass isn't always greener.

You gave away the foul when Middleton had you beat fair and square.

Unfortunately for you, Middleton and the Real Saints benefitted from your indiscretion when he fired in an exceptional free kick which proved to be the winner, with your ex Sevco keeper transfixed and rooted to his line.

He also committed the foul that led to Hamilton’s goal and then staying in bottom 6

Was reading up that he was with Southend this time last year...................a team just relegated out of the english league! He dodged a bullet

Few of the BLK tops here.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184398882125

Other stuff here https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_ssn=emeliecherie&_osacat=0&_armrs=1&_odkw=&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313&_nkw=st+johnstone&_sacat=0