Hamilton v St Johnstone 18 May 2019

sleepless

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

An incredible over reaction on here based on losing an absolutely nothing game, against a team scrapping for their lives.

It wasn’t a nothing game for those in the Saints end who’d stumped up their hard earned and given precious time to give the team a backing to have that performance served up.Almost feel St.Mirren are due an apology.

Performance was poor - too many players had an off day. The pitch never helps but IMHO that was Jason's worst game this season. Easton looks short of match sharpness, as might be expected and did ok but struggled a bit early on.

Midfield was limited with Liams early, stupid booking - Callachan did ok but was easily crowded out. Thought Spoony was fine and played some decent balls in but apart from one or two runs Swanson was again a passenger - he showed little urgency in getting involved or trying to create much. In fact I was more impressed by Blair off the bench and I know who I'd rather see lining up for us next season.

Up front Kano's finishing was poor and although Hendry was ok he dropped back too much to be effective. Have to say though that Olly Hamilton did himself no harm with his 10 mins at the end - plenty of pace and some nice touches.

4 minutes ago, Saline Saint said:

It wasn’t a nothing game for those in the Saints end who’d stumped up their hard earned and given precious time to give the team a backing to have that performance served up.Almost feel St.Mirren are due an apology.

Crap - it wasn't a nothing game but the over-reaction on here has been ridiculous at times. We owe St Mirren feck all.

13 minutes ago, Radford 72 said:

No interest in seeing us become a team that just shell the ball forward at the first opportunity. A long way to go but the manager is building a new team and hopefully there will be further improvement next season. 

We have Foster, Tanser, Kennedy, Wright, O'halloran, Swanson and Wotherspoon to deliver balls from wide areas but nobody who can attack a cross or run across a defender. Some of the balls into the box today were ok but neither Kane or Hendry could get a run on the defenders and attack them. In some games you need to be able to mix it up in this league and I think we lack that option, particularly when we have no Davidson and particularly when we rely on crosses so heavily.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

Random . The voice of reason. That's a new one.

A nothing game ?. There was pride at stake. I assume a win bonus & most of all another team who if we were in their position we would expect the other team to contest the game.

It was a nothing game. You can dress it up if you want, but you see it all over the planet in this type of game. 

1 hour ago, Broon said:

Maybe an unpopular opinion but we would do worse than someone like Oakely or Davies in our squad to allow us to change things. They won absolutely everything in the air for the second time against us and made our defenders look poor. If we bring in two strikers I'd like one of them to be good in the air.

We tried the "bumbling big target man" approach in the past, and it turned us into an absolutely dreadful outfit who just shelled balls at an immobile target for 90 minutes. 

25 minutes ago, Rob said:

Well we can probably expect more of the same next season, Tommy said on the radio that the team only needs a small tweak in the Summer and that they need a new striker.

How we weren't in the relegation battle after a lot of terrible performances this year I don't know. Thank goodness Accies, St Mirren and Dundee were even worse but yet we drop points to Accies again. 

Hate when we hear it was another good season, certainly wasn't and the table positions really flatter us.

Absolute pish. We had three bad months in a nine month long season. Why is that three months more representative of the squad? We finished 20pts clear of 10th.

We actually finished closer to 3rd than 10th in terms of points.

16 minutes ago, Saline Saint said:

Why would St Mirren be due anything? 

It's not anyone's fault except your own that you spent time and money going to a game that meant nothing. Would you spend £100 and a weekend going to Belfast for the friendly this summer then moan it was played like a friendly?

Edited by RandomGuy

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

We tried the "bumbling big target man" approach in the past, and it turned us into an absolutely dreadful outfit who just shelled balls at an immobile target for 90 minutes. 

True, but on the flip side we're still playing the same style of football that leans towards a forward who's good in the air. All of our creativity is in wide areas and putting balls in the box.

Now if we could find a central midfielder who can take the ball in, drive forward and pick passes and strikers with good movement then I'm with you. Otherwise we're stuck between two styles.

1 minute ago, Broon said:

True, but on the flip side we're still playing the same style of football that leans towards a forward who's good in the air. All of our creativity is in wide areas and putting balls in the box.

Now if we could find a central midfielder who can take the ball in, drive forward and pick passes and strikers with good movement then I'm with you. Otherwise we're stuck between two styles.

I think we're fine without one. Watt and Kane must've missed about 10 absolute sitters this season between them, and neither of them are great in the air.

1 minute ago, Saline Saint said:

Never been to a friendly in Belfast never will do,the place is a hole.

Todays game was far from meaningless as it had great bearing on the resultant play off place.I would have been on my way to Dens thinking Hamilton will get a game off Stjohnstone today,nah they didn’t.

Yes. The game meant something to Hamilton.

The game meant absolutely nothing to St Johnstone. I've no idea why the players would care in the slightest about who was in the play offs.

You and I are St.Johnstone,probably more so than any player there today and the game meant plenty to me.By St.Johnstone I presume you mean the players and if a professional player being payed to represent our club has the attitude “this is meaningless” I would question his professionalism or is it alright to allow a lack of professionalism as its last game of the season.

7 minutes ago, Saline Saint said:

You and I are St.Johnstone,probably more so than any player there today and the game meant plenty to me.By St.Johnstone I presume you mean the players and if a professional player being payed to represent our club has the attitude “this is meaningless” I would question his professionalism or is it alright to allow a lack of professionalism as its last game of the season.

I think you're reading far, far too much into this.

We'd be aswell just ending this here though, or we'll spend all night disagreeing. 

WAP going mental over a defeat shock:roll:

Really good passing but no final ball. Defensive mistake for the second. Not great marking for first. 

Swanson was too shot shy. 

Can only think Murray had a slight injury or is nearing a suspension and that is why he didn't play. 

An off day but overall another good season

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

Absolute pish. We had three bad months in a nine month long season. Why is that three months more representative of the squad? We finished 20pts clear of 10th.

We actually finished closer to 3rd than 10th in terms of points.

3 bad months maybe but not 6 good months. I still think the points on the board flatter us. I go to the games, expecting to be entertained, not to watch Saints scrape some points off teams that are terrible. So perhaps okay season in terms of points and position but a lot of performance negatives that I hope aren't carried into the 2019-2020 season.

Thank feck that season is over.

Never looked forward to an end of season like I have this season.

Despite having more or less retained premiership position by Christmas this has been a tedious season with only about 3 enjoyable games.

Not sure if I will get a season ticket next season. With that type of football & lots of games being moved for various reasons. We also have 2 week International breaks in September , October & November.

30 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Thank feck that season is over.

Never looked forward to an end of season like I have this season.

Despite having more or less retained premiership position by Christmas this has been a tedious season with only about 3 enjoyable games.

Not sure if I will get a season ticket next season. With that type of football & lots of games being moved for various reasons. We also have 2 week International breaks in September , October & November.

When we sign our 15 goal striker you and others will sign up again!

COYS!

2 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

I think you're reading far, far too much into this.

We'd be aswell just ending this here though, or we'll spend all night disagreeing. 

Saints were passive as fcuk again story of the season, Hamilton weren't great but had things to play for, but they shit today was basically a re run of a lot if games this season, fullbacks are past it foster and Easton, centre mid nothing there, Craig far too slow and Callahan seriously lacking, up front nothing, kane too many touches,  hendry far from convinced,big summer for passive tam., rid of Easton etc. Let's move on 

2 hours ago, Broon said:

Just released one

4 hours ago, crieffsaintandy said:

A big fart, but some kid in the twenties is not the answer, need to get over it mate unless a total maestro not going straight into any first team  going to the level he is at 

Really, look all over Europe with kids in their early twentys who are priced in their millions, and what would you know about my lad, I assume by ur reply that ur talking about him even though I never said it was him, but that is the exact  type of player he is most assists last 3 seasons, see that's what's wrong with football u give a opinion and ur wrong, I'm ****ing over the moon he's away, why would he want to play for a team who's supporters have an attitude like yours 

7 hours ago, sevcozombie2 said:

Really, look all over Europe with kids in their early twentys who are priced in their millions, and what would you know about my lad, I assume by ur reply that ur talking about him even though I never said it was him, but that is the exact  type of player he is most assists last 3 seasons, see that's what's wrong with football u give a opinion and ur wrong, I'm ****ing over the moon he's away, why would he want to play for a team who's supporters have an attitude like yours 

How many goals, or assists, did he score for the youths/reserves this season?

Genuine question, there doesnt seem to be stats anywhere.

Edited by RandomGuy

Well, that was disappointing.

First half we played fairly decent stuff, especially down the right, where Spoony and Foster were linking very well. Some good moves which should have been finished off better. By the way, there seem to be a few on this thread suggesting we had no shots on target. We did in the game I was at. Could easily have had a couple in the first half and that wouldn't have flattered us.

Second half was very flat, though. After all the good work down the right in the first half, we stopped doing that in the second half and concentrated on the left. That was a real problem. It's very unfair to judge someone making his first competitive start in 18 months, but Beaston was a bit of a problem. He was clearly concentrating on being competent and not making mistakes but it meant there was no creativity or flair there. It was all too slow and ponderous.

Their second was a shocker.

I'm tempted to make Olly Hamilton my man of the match, if only because he was buzzing about with a real sense of urgency which others lacked. He made some really sharp moves into space but no-one passed to him. It would have been interesting if he'd been there in the first half to pick up some of Spoony's and Foster's balls into the middle.

Danny worked hard. A couple of times he worked his way into the box and should have gone for goal but didn't. Danny from a couple of years ago would have had a shot and probably would have scored. Confidence, I guess.

This is a frustrating team. It's on the verge of being very good, but doesn't deliver. Again, it seems to be a confidence thing.

7 minutes ago, sleepless said:

Well, that was disappointing.

First half we played fairly decent stuff, especially down the right, where Spoony and Foster were linking very well. Some good moves which should have been finished off better. By the way, there seem to be a few on this thread suggesting we had no shots on target. We did in the game I was at. Could easily have had a couple in the first half and that wouldn't have flattered us.

Second half was very flat, though. After all the good work down the right in the first half, we stopped doing that in the second half and concentrated on the left. That was a real problem. It's very unfair to judge someone making his first competitive start in 18 months, but Beaston was a bit of a problem. He was clearly concentrating on being competent and not making mistakes but it meant there was no creativity or flair there. It was all too slow and ponderous.

Their second was a shocker.

I'm tempted to make Olly Hamilton my man of the match, if only because he was buzzing about with a real sense of urgency which others lacked. He made some really sharp moves into space but no-one passed to him. It would have been interesting if he'd been there in the first half to pick up some of Spoony's and Foster's balls into the middle.

Danny worked hard. A couple of times he worked his way into the box and should have gone for goal but didn't. Danny from a couple of years ago would have had a shot and probably would have scored. Confidence, I guess.

This is a frustrating team. It's on the verge of being very good, but doesn't deliver. Again, it seems to be a confidence thing.

Great a bit o positivity.