Classic Squad Numbers

supersaint44

Just curious what saints players/cult heroes/legends/flops everyone associates with a specific squad number. Few obvious  mentions to start:

1 - Main / Mannus / Clark

2 - Mackay

3 - Stanic

4 - Dasovic

5 - Wright / Weir

6 - Anderson

7 - Millar

9 - McLean

10 - Scotland

11 - Sheerin

17 - May

1-11 is going to be impossible because until recently those were the numbers always used. So for 1 we've got Sandy McLaren, Jim Donaldson, Derek Robertson, Alan Main, Alan Mannus, Zander, Roy Baines et al. It's only bigger numbers like 17, 24, where it would work.

2 hours ago, ejksjfc said:

Although Muzz was great at no. 8 this season.............8 has got to be Henry Hall.

Well said I agree with you.number eight is always Henry hall.

2 hours ago, ejksjfc said:

Although Muzz was great at no. 8 this season.............8 has got to be Henry Hall.

I agree with bo jo.number 8 is always Henry hall.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Funny how 29 has popped up a fair bit, had forgotten that was Miguel's number. Also O'Halloran the first time round, and then Cummins took it on.

29 has always been my lucky number, for the sole reason that years and years ago Ian MacDonald was number 29 in one of the football cards series, and I had 29 copies of it. 

And that's probably the most pointless piece of trivia ever shared on this forum...

1 hour ago, sleepless said:

29 has always been my lucky number, for the sole reason that years and years ago Ian MacDonald was number 29 in one of the football cards series, and I had 29 copies of it. 

And that's probably the most pointless piece of trivia ever shared on this forum...

Always had andy gray in his back pocket when we played united.

8 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Funny how 29 has popped up a fair bit, had forgotten that was Miguel's number. Also O'Halloran the first time round, and then Cummins took it on.

Slightly related, but I was looking up the Monaco game a few days ago, and the way the site I looked at listed the squad made it look like we had Kane and O'Halloran up front...

3 hours ago, sixties saintee said:

Couldnt lace his boots

He probably couldn't do a lot of things but he was an absolute hero to me. I used to do a P&J paper round in Inverness got some shock the day he was on the front page :laugh:

Most of my Saints tops from the time have O'Boyle 10 on the back.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Slightly related, but I was looking up the Monaco game a few days ago, and the way the site I looked at listed the squad made it look like we had Kane and O'Halloran up front...

I had 1 or 2 beers that day but I remember being ragin that I sat on a bus for over a day to watch Kevin bloomin Thomas play up front ! Simao played too  tho pretty sure he played out wide. 

At home i was happier to see Lowndes and Simao.

On 6/29/2019 at 11:55 AM, RandomGuy said:

Aye, was just a point about how surnames can pop up regularly in football.

I remember Paul Kane being a key player in that squad, but couldn't remember KOH from the Monaco games.  If pushed, I would have guessed he was he was a season or two later.

The only thing I can remember about his time at Saints was scoring the only goal in a home win over Celtic, possibly the game where Henrik Larsson got in trouble for spitting towards the Saints fans??

7 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

I remember Paul Kane being a key player in that squad, but couldn't remember KOH from the Monaco games.  If pushed, I would have guessed he was he was a season or two later.

The only thing I can remember about his time at Saints was scoring the only goal in a home win over Celtic, possibly the game where Henrik Larsson got in trouble for spitting towards the Saints fans??

This is him today(ish)... http://dlrleisure.ie/child-protection/keith-ohalloran-2/

He actually joined us during our promotion season in 96/97, so was present during that whole period of finishing fifth, then third and then playing in Europe. Often struggled to get into what was a very good midfield though.

32 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

This is him today(ish)... http://dlrleisure.ie/child-protection/keith-ohalloran-2/

He actually joined us during our promotion season in 96/97, so was present during that whole period of finishing fifth, then third and then playing in Europe. Often struggled to get into what was a very good midfield though.

Small world.

Thats the sports centre  i play 5's in.

As CPO i doubt he is around in the evening tho, i will still look out for him next time im there

*(not stalking)

1 hour ago, john.w said:

Joe Carr #11

Perth museum have this engraving of you waving your hankie as Joe scores in his final game for Saints after a very long career.

(Edit: this was, of course, before the colour blue was invented).

10CD91CD-D861-4F89-AA67-DA014588D0F4.jpeg

Edited by Abernethy Saint

16 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

I remember KOH being stretchered off after a really serious head knock. Might have been in the game against Dundee that got us in to Europe.  Not sure though.