Player contracts and transfers

David123

Exciting news.  Will we be playing a 4-2-4 to accommodate our range of excellent strikers?  How do you leave Stevie May out - two starts, two match-winning goals, and two defences permanently traumatised.

you build the forward line around Stevie

It just worries me slightly.  All of us have been crying out to give Stevie his chance to prove he is SPFL standard, and so far he has proved it without a shadow of a doubt, but he could be relegated to the bench regardless.  

Given the way he has started, and the fact that he hasn't really been injured at all in the last two seasons, suggests we have the makings of a regular partnership with MacLean (who is also not injury prone) and May, with Fallon as a capable backup.  I can see the need for another 'capable backup' but this guy sounds like a superstar in the making.  

We've got players who WANT to be at Saints now, and a manager who says he's here for the long haul.  I hope we don't undermine that by playing loan players before the committed May.  It's a big change from a few years ago when we had to convince players to come to Saints, because there was no better option for them.

Edited by montrosesaintee

To be fair we really do require another striking option. I believe that May and MacLean are our two preferred starting forwards should we be playing with two up front. That leaves Fallon on the bench, Nige is far better and prefers playing on the wing. Remember early on last season we had Tade & Vine on red cards as well as MacLean out injured due to his dislocated elbow.  If that were to happen now we would be up the creek without a paddle having only one proper striker.

An 18 year old loan player is not going to come in and shift either May or MacLean

Makes me wonder why we signed him in the first place. Seems to be a bit of a knee jerk signing.

Was a necessity imo, as has shown by the fact that we have utilised him as a sub in a couple of games so far. He was probably the best we could get at the time and (marginally) better than having nothing at all. If we can secure a better option, then he will drop down the order I reckon.

Saying that, it may be that we could look at other options in an emergency. Muzz coming on as a centre forward? Would certainly give the opposing centre half's a hard time and the boy can score a header