Player contracts and transfers

David123

The squad as it stands...

Goalkeepers

1 - Alan Mannus - (31) - 2014
15 - Steve Banks - (41) - 2014
30 - Zander Clark - (20) - 2014 - on loan at Queen of the South until Summer 2014
------------------------------
35 - Mark Hurst - (18) - 2014

?? - Sam Bunting (19) - ?

Defenders

2 - Dave Mackay - (33) - 2015
3 - Tam Scobbie - (25) - 2015

5 - Frazer Wright - (34) - 2014
6 - Steven Anderson - (28) - 2014
19 - Gary Miller - (26) - 2014
21 - Callum Davidson - (37) - 2015
24 - Brian Easton - (25) - 2015

------------------------------
36 - Scott Stevenson - (17) - 2014
38 - Ally Gilchrist - (18) - 2014
40 - Andrew Steeves - (19) - 2014
43 - Gareth Rodger - (19) - 2014

Midfielders

4 - Paddy Cregg - (27) - 2014
7 - Chris Millar - (30) - 2015
8 - Gary McDonald - (31) - 2015
10 - David Wotherspoon - (23) - 2015

12 - James Dunne - (24) - on loan for the rest of the season
16 - Liam Caddis - (20) - 2014 - on loan at Alloa for the rest of the season
18 - Murray Davidson - (25) - 2014
20 - Scott Brown - (19) - 2015
22 - Lee Croft - (28) - 2014

?? - Mark Davies - (20) - On loan for the rest of the season
---------------------------------------
32 - Dwayne Coultress - (18) - 2014
34 - Keiran Stewart - (19) - 2014
39 - Scott Gray - (19) - 2014
44 - Craig Thomson - (18) - 2014
45 - Matthew McArthur - (18) - 2014
46 - Anthony Higgins - (17) - 2014
49 - Scott Taylor-Mackenzie - (17) - 2014
?? - Wade Joyce (19) - 2014

Forwards

9 - Steven MacLean - (31) - 2014
11 - Nigel Hasselbaink - (23) - 2014
17 - Stevie May - (21) - 2015

25 - Chris Iwelumo (35) - 2014
29 - Michael O'Halloran - (22) - 2015
---------------------------------
31 - Dylan Easton - (19) - 2016
41 - Chris Kane - (18) - 2016
 - on loan at Dumbarton for the rest of the season

?? - Fisayo Adarabioyo - (18) - 2014
42 - Robbie Norrie - (19) - 2014

Not especially pleased by this, he's going downhill quickly IMO, he's never been quick on the turn, but he's getting slower. He's also getting more rash. Still if it's back-up so be it, although I'd rather someone like Rodgers was given a chance to play back up, I know he's injured, but surely he's a decent option. It worries me that it appears we are going into next season with the same defence which has been found lacking a fair amount this season against pace.

Quite frankly the only ones who I'd be wanting for next season are Ando, Easton and Mackay, Mackay would only be as a centre back though unless he can get out the rut he's in at right back.

We're giving contracts to the wrong players IMO, first MacDonald, now Wright, I'd much rather see the youngsters given a chance and put the budget towards special players, not over the hill and in some cases anonymous footballers who bring nothing to the squad. I've no doubt we've cut the budget again for next season and unless Wright has taken a pay cut, which I guess is possible, it's a waste of a wage, whereby we could have gotten someone to sell on in the future. I've no doubt some will disagree with me, but I'm worried, think of this season without May, Hasselbaink and Croft and that's potentially what next seasons looking like!!

Not especially pleased by this, he's going downhill quickly IMO, he's never been quick on the turn, but he's getting slower. He's also getting more rash. Still if it's back-up so be it, although I'd rather someone like Rodgers was given a chance to play back up, I know he's injured, but surely he's a decent option. It worries me that it appears we are going into next season with the same defence which has been found lacking a fair amount this season against pace.

Quite frankly the only ones who I'd be wanting for next season are Ando, Easton and Mackay, Mackay would only be as a centre back though unless he can get out the rut he's in at right back.

We're giving contracts to the wrong players IMO, first MacDonald, now Wright, I'd much rather see the youngsters given a chance and put the budget towards special players, not over the hill and in some cases anonymous footballers who bring nothing to the squad. I've no doubt we've cut the budget again for next season and unless Wright has taken a pay cut, which I guess is possible, it's a waste of a wage, whereby we could have gotten someone to sell on in the future. I've no doubt some will disagree with me, but I'm worried, think of this season without May, Hasselbaink and Croft and that's potentially what next seasons looking like!!

May will be away of that im certain.Pretty sure Croft will stay though and i think Nigel will as well.

So you don't think we'd sign any new players?  And you wouldn't want to keep Scobbie?

So you don't think we'd sign any new players? And you wouldn't want to keep Scobbie?

Look at the squad and look at the budget. It's going to be reduced again, if we sign up all our current players, how are we going to bring new folk in?

And no I don't rate Scobbie at all.

Look at the squad and look at the budget. It's going to be reduced again, if we sign up all our current players, how are we going to bring new folk in?

Players WILL leave, new players WILL come in.  It happens every year.

I doubt the budget will drop - it will be a similar level again IMO. We've had a better than expected European run, an excellent league cup run, an excellent Scottish cup run and will have performed better than we've budgeted for in the league also.

I think Wright's aware what he's got to play with for next season already - we wouldn't be signing players up if we weren't.

I think you're missing my point, of the players left to sign on again at the club, the only ones I can really see going are -

Gary Miller

Stevie May

Nigel Hasselbaink

Chris Iwelumo

Paddy Cregg

Maybe a bunch of youngsters, plus the loanees. That isn't exactly a lot to play with and with doubtless budget cuts yet again, how much cash is there to bring in new players, maybe 2 or 3 max and even then chances are they aren't going to be upgrades on this season. So it'll be essentially the same team, with the promising youngsters and maybe 3 or 4 new signings max.

Thing is I don't see it. There's so many teams in the same position, dwindling finances, worsening players and worse managers than our own. The whole play off thing as well I guess makes it a little more likely.

We've always known we are a yo-yo club and that we'd be back down sooner than later.

We are still comfortably better than half the teams in the league. We have a sellable asset and another player banging in the goals in the Championship who looks like another gem. We have played over half the season without one of our regular strikers and have missed the influence of another of our star players for long spells. We are not a poor side with or without Stevie May. We are in a comfortably better position than the likes of Ross County and St Mirren when it comes to the basis for a good side. Bit knee jerk to start talking about relegation!