Player contracts and transfers

David123

my goodness, you lot can sure make 2 and 2 = 5. we've had several pages of comment based on this article below.....we have failed to sign a player most of us thought was going to be out of our price range anyway so why all the wringing of hands, twisting of knickers etc? 

Is the underlying story in this article any different to any other about finance at saints?  No. Saints is being run with the long-term future in mind. The Browns were praised to the hilt just weeks ago and yet the season has not started and are already getting criticism from some quarters.

No saints fan would of expected us to spend loads of cash on players but be in a position to bring in a couple of free transfers at the very least

so every spare pound is going into ground maintenance/upgrading so no money for tw to strengthen

he must be wondering what the fecks going on

looks like theres no extra money to sort out mays contract either

whats next on the cards may to be punted on the cheap?

If we'd kept Nigel and Cregg the squad would be fine even if it was a little stale. We are one or two injuries from a nightmare as it stands. If May signs a two year extension most will be forgiven, but we need a centre midfielder at the very least.

What would go a long way to help would be in Steve Brown released some form of statement that explained the decisions being made....something along the lines of

"a decision has been made to invest next season in the improvement of the facilities in and around the stadium. We currently spend £x having to rent / travel etc to Stirling and £x on maintaining this or that. An investment of £x would see the costs reduce by £y over the following years, meaning that by year z the club would be providing better facilites at a lower yearly cost.

While I appreciate that this aspect of the business is not one that is that attractive or of interest to the majority of the supporters, it is consider as essential to allow for the continued financial security of the club.

We continue to support the manager fully, and he has been made aware of the limitations that this has resulted in with regards to the signing of new players. It is hoped that the team can continue to build on the success of last season, but also take the opportunity to further develop some of our younger talent"

Would a statement along those lines really be that difficult to produce?

And no, I am not writing it for him in my spare time for free

Everyone knows that the facilities round the ground will all need maintenance from time to time but surely there has to be a balance with that and the squad. God knows what's happening but hopefully it's not as bad as it seems and we get a couple of players in at some point

Can  the 'spokesman' at Saints, a board member or even the chairman have the balls to come out and say what the f*ck is happening , instead of leaving up to the manager to make statements on the budget etc.    Time to show a bit of openess.   The if the budget is cut for X reason say so.  I could have cut my budget this year but I haven't,    Man up ya bass !!

I can understand the financial commitment required to upgrade the facilities, and these will bring longer term savings to the club and make perfect sense, but I fear the lack of a well thought out Business Plan here......the upgrade work HAD to be interdispersed with securing / improving the squad and ensuring that the good feel factor around the club was maintained. In this, the club have spectacularly failed.

Everyone knows that the facilities round the ground will all need maintenance from time to time but surely there has to be a balance with that and the squad. God knows what's happening but hopefully it's not as bad as it seems and we get a couple of players in at some point

Agree. Pretty much what I posted earlier

According to different interviews that have been done;

• There was money for Hasselbaink's contract but he stalled, didn't contact TW so was released. Where has that money gone?
  • An offer was made for Dunne. I don't expect he would have played for free, so there must have been money there to offer him a contract. Where has that money gone?
  • Is money being kept back to offer Muzz a longer term contract should he prove himself fit? If a gamble can be made there why not with a decent striking option?

Doesn't seem so from the posts after the reply you left me.

What....the one post (or was it even a massive 2) that were vaguely similar to yours? Can you not see the several posts after yours that are genuinely concerned with aspects of the club at the moment and the lack of any funds to enter the transfer market??

Edited by Edstar101

I agree with pretty much everything that blueheaven put above but looking at it from the Chairmans perspective the losses over the last 4-5 years in his words have become "unsustainable", now is exactly the time that these stadium and other improvements should be done while money is there for them, this will be to the benefit of the club longer term which in turn will hopefully release money for players in the future.

Preventative maintenance is that not what they call it?

I agree with pretty much everything that blueheaven put above but looking at it from the Chairmans perspective the losses over the last 4-5 years in his words have become "unsustainable", now is exactly the time that these stadium and other improvements should be done while money is there for them, this will be to the benefit of the club longer term which in turn will hopefully release money for players in the future.

Preventative maintenance is that not what they call it?

I see this point too, but wont it be even more catastrophic if we were relegated?

Doubt that will actually happen, but 3 or 4 injuries/suspensions really would have us struggling.

I see this point too, but wont it be even more catastrophic if we were relegated?

Doubt that will actually happen, but 3 or 4 injuries/suspensions really would have us struggling.

And, as mentioned previously, even a poor season (not necessarily as bad as relegation) could impact on income the following season as those 'new' season ticket holders, or those 'new' or 'returning' supporters that pay at the gate lose interest again and don't return

Are we really actually shocked about all this?

This is the usual for Saints.

I've seen someone else say this, but I don't really understand what it means. What is remotely 'usual' about it? Has there been another pre-season in which we have let go of decent players and then not signed anybody at all?

Even in the First Division days, we managed to bring in decent players for that level (as well as a couple of marquee signings like Jason Scotland and Jody Morris).

I'm not saying that I expect any marquee signings, but I'd at least expect us to replace our decent released players with equally good or better players. Otherwise, I would have simply settled for retaining guys like Hasselbaink and Cregg. As it stands, we have weakened our squad. It seems bizarre, especially considering the fact that we have just witnessed one of the best, arguably the best, St. Johnstone seasons of all-time. Getting a few fresh faces in cannot be underestimated. It keeps things from going stale and it keeps the current players on their toes.

If things remain the same, we could end up in the bottom 6. I know that's not a disaster and, in Lomas' terms, we have been 'punching above our weight', but there is nothing wrong with a bit of ambition. I'd have been hoping to retain that top 6 place and even aim for a higher position this season.

And why is Tommy saying that he 'believes' Steve Brown wants him to sign a new contract? Why does he not 'know'? It smacks of a lack of communication. Has the chairman sat down and talked to Tommy at all during this pre-season?

I am very disconcerted, I must admit. Hopefully things pick up soon.

Edited by The Real Saints