Player contracts and transfers

David123

The fun of pre season is getting excited about new signings. So its no surprise so many getting upset that we have none. I still feel that we will see a couple come in an tw was just using the media to put more pressure on sb. I loved wee nige n paddy but if it means going back to times where we are not losing money , which we have done the last few seasons, then im quite willing to lose them.

Surprised about the uproar, thought most folk on wap hated nigel for tying his laces. And wap is always wanting to see youth. Well this season they may well get their chance.

cheer up guys we are playing European football next week!

Indeed.

**** it, whatever will be will be - if it means a few young players come through and do well, then all the better.

Heads up my arse about all this.

In the short times I've seen Brown and Caddis I've been impressed. Brown has fitted in nicely and he seems to lack the recklessness that Cregg could display. Also I have been pleased with the direct style of Caddis and the Dumbarton fans were raving about Kane so....it may not be all bad.

And yet you just get a sense of disappointment in this close season.

http://saintinasia.wordpress.com/2013/09/11/st-johnstone-fc-annual-accounts-2013-analysis/

Interesting to read again. Note that the chairman sites the lack of cup runs during the Lomas tenure as being a contributing factor for the loss during that season.

Is it too much to ask then that money generated by significant cup runs under Wright's management could be used for the playing side of things?

Not the greatest pre season for press coverage on the Club and all that seems to be coming out is negative.

I am not sure if the lack of signings is a good or bad, we have all got used to pre seasons where we have ended up bringing in virtually a whole new squad. This season we have the core of the team still there.

Then if the players flop and we have no youth system producing good players the club would be accused of being short-sighted.

We over-spent again last season. It bought us success which is fantastic, but this season is the time to make long term investments and try to build on our structure.

A few new faces will be added- why would Wright be given the go-ahead to make an offer for Dunne otherwise? It could just simply be timing and cash flow!?

We are a club attracting crowds of 3000ish, the squad we have on that kind of numbers is extremely impressive

Then if the players flop and we have no youth system producing good players the club would be accused of being short-sighted.

We over-spent again last season. It bought us success which is fantastic, but this season is the time to make long term investments and try to build on our structure.

A few new faces will be added- why would Wright be given the go-ahead to make an offer for Dunne otherwise? It could just simply be timing and cash flow!?

We are a club attracting crowds of 3000ish, the squad we have on that kind of numbers is extremely impressive

We overspent last season? Seriously? What did we do the years previous to that? The budget last season was reportedly down £600k from Del's last summer at the club.

We need a couple more IMO. It's great that we have young players there to come in, but we really do look short in midfield and at least one short up top too.

Happy enough with the general quality of the squad right enough - there's just absolutely no way we'll get away with only 13 senior outfield players all season. It's a big ask for some of the kids in the squad.

We overspent last season? Seriously? What did we do the years previous to that? The budget last season was reportedly down £600k from Del's last summer at the club.

We need a couple more IMO. It's great that we have young players there to come in, but we really do look short in midfield and at least one short up top too.

Happy enough with the general quality of the squad right enough - there's just absolutely no way we'll get away with only 13 senior outfield players all season. It's a big ask for some of the kids in the squad.

That's what Wright seems to suggest, he was asked to reduce the budget by 30%, but due to injuries and the like, the additions during the season out us over the reduced budget that was set.

While I agree it would be nice to see a few new faces added, I'd rather we were financially stable for years to come. Steve Brown is dealing with poor crowds, no league sponsor, a supposed lack of anyone wanting to sponsor our shirts, a league lacking three teams that bring bigger away crowds and English teams able to offer much bigger wages for anyone of half decent quality.

It's a very tough ask

so we are calling players in for trials and then saying sorry lads we have no money to sign you ????

Yeah,it just doesn't add up. We made an offer for Dunne but he went to Portsmouth on a free. We had Goodwillie training with us yet we were never able to offer a deal. Strange.

That's what Wright seems to suggest, he was asked to reduce the budget by 30%, but due to injuries and the like, the additions during the season out us over the reduced budget that was set.

While I agree it would be nice to see a few new faces added, I'd rather we were financially stable for years to come. Steve Brown is dealing with poor crowds, no league sponsor, a supposed lack of anyone wanting to sponsor our shirts, a league lacking three teams that bring bigger away crowds and English teams able to offer much bigger wages for anyone of half decent quality.

It's a very tough ask

Everyone in the league is dealing with the same problems as Saints though, only without our bank balance (as at the last end of year accounts), European run with two massive, not budgeted for home attendances, two big away supports at mcdiarmid over Christmas (with over 8000 paying away fans) two excellent cup runs and also winning the cup. Bearing in mind we've got 15, maybe as many as 18, first team wages, I don't think it's too much to expect a couple of signings this summer.

Appreciate that might come once the season ticket money and European money comes in and is counted.

That's what I suspect will happen Kyle, as I said in previous posts.

So far the European game will have cost the club money. Eg- the cost of advertising and deposits on travel arrangements, etc. Cash flow will be a big thing for any Scottish club.

The media is also a great place for any manager to publicly keep wage demands low!?

Disappointed with the news that TW is not been given any funds for the 2 or 3 players he feels he needs to strengthen for the season ahead but genuinely excited at the prospect of some of the youngsters getting their chance to shine, notably Brown and Kane. The majority of the cup winning side remain so not overly worried at the lack of new signings although i would like to see us sign a central midfielder in the same mould as Dunne as the thought of a Millar/McDonald pairing fills me with dread.

I cannot see into the future but it does not look bright. All those whose contracts expire in 2015 will be able to negotiate a free transfer in January. If we have no money now, we certainly will have no more in January. We could lose our brightest prospects Wotherspoon, O'Halloran etc for nothing and our team will go into freefall and relegation is a clear possibility. If your were May and TW would you sign long term contracts with this grim future.

Goalkeepers
1 - Alan Mannus - (31) - 2015
15 - Steve Banks - (42) - 2015
30 - Zander Clark - (21) - 2016
------------------------------ 

Defenders
2 - Dave Mackay - (34) - 2015
3 - Tam Scobbie - (26) - 2015
5 - Frazer Wright - (35) - 2015
6 - Steven Anderson - (28) - 2016
19 - Gary Miller - (26) - 2015
21 - Callum Davidson - (37) - 2015

24 - Brian Easton - (26) - 2015

43 - Gareth Rodger - (20) - 2015
Midfielders
7 - Chris Millar - (31) - 2015
8 - Gary McDonald - (32) - 2015
10 - David Wotherspoon - (24) - 2015

16 - Liam Caddis - (20) - 2015
18 - Murray Davidson - (26) - August 2014
20 - Scott Brown - (19) - 2015
22 - Lee Croft - (28) – 2015

29 - Michael O'Halloran - (23) - 2015

31 - Dylan Easton - (20) - 2016

---------------------------------------

Forwards
9 - Steven MacLean - (31) - 2016
17 - Stevie May - (21) - 2015

41 - Chris Kane - (19) - 2016

I cannot see into the future but it does not look bright. All those whose contracts expire in 2015 will be able to negotiate a free transfer in January. If we have no money now, we certainly will have no more in January. We could lose our brightest prospects Wotherspoon, O'Halloran etc for nothing and our team will go into freefall and relegation is a clear possibility. If your were May and TW would you sign long term contracts with this grim future.

Goalkeepers

1 - Alan Mannus - (31) - 2015

15 - Steve Banks - (42) - 2015

30 - Zander Clark - (21) - 2016

Defenders

2 - Dave Mackay - (34) - 2015

3 - Tam Scobbie - (26) - 2015

5 - Frazer Wright - (35) - 2015

6 - Steven Anderson - (28) - 2016

19 - Gary Miller - (26) - 2015

21 - Callum Davidson - (37) - 2015

24 - Brian Easton - (26) - 2015

43 - Gareth Rodger - (20) - 2015

Midfielders

7 - Chris Millar - (31) - 2015

8 - Gary McDonald - (32) - 2015

10 - David Wotherspoon - (24) - 2015

16 - Liam Caddis - (20) - 2015

18 - Murray Davidson - (26) - August 2014

20 - Scott Brown - (19) - 2015

22 - Lee Croft - (28) – 2015

29 - Michael O'Halloran - (23) - 2015

31 - Dylan Easton - (20) - 2016

---------------------------------------

Forwards

9 - Steven MacLean - (31) - 2016

17 - Stevie May - (21) - 2015

41 - Chris Kane - (19) - 2016

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608015902998661084&pid=15.1

Could part of the delay be down to us waiting to see if the league gets a sponsor? Doncaster said that he expects to have one by the start if the season.

I'm frustrated and concerned at some of the on goings, but accept that if they money isn't there, we should not and will not over spend. However, it doesn't take away from the fact we need to strengthen.

I'd much rather we took a chance of the likes of Kane than but some journeyman, but maybe the club needs to come out and be very clear that this is the approach.

Edited by TheYellowBox