Player contracts and transfers

David123

TW sounded frustrated in today's papers. Wants 3 new signings & said "I don't think it's too much to ask". Hasn't got his own contract sorted out either. I'm surprised the cup money hasn't been sorted out yet. I'm not panicking but it's not the sort of stuff I expected to read coming into the new season. Said in the PA Goodwillie was his no.1 target. Is this coming from TW or just speculation? He said the success of the last 2 seasons was down to strength in depth of the squad. I hope a fair few of the 15000 who were at the cup final buy seasons or at least turn up on a semi-regular basis. As GB said if we don't get bigger home gates now we never will.

Edited by Scott1884

The failure to get TW and SM signed up on new contracts is bizarre and fails to make any business sense. Both are desperate to commit and have publicly stated they would be easy to deal with and their is no reason to doubt this.. In Wright's case it is also disrespectful after what he achieved for the club on May 17th. A new contract should have been ready to sign on May 18th. If Stevie May is as good as we all think he is then his talks dragging on is potentially extremely dangerous in a financial sense for the club. For goodness sake he was talking about wanting to get it sorted at the end of April!! If it costs the club a little extra for 6 months or a year then it's a price worth paying. I understand if the club wants to continue cutting it's cloth regards wages but getting players in on trial/training when you cant offer them a deal just makes Tommy Wright and Saints look stupid. Not really what we should be talking about at the moment with so many huge games on the horizon and really poor from Saints imo.

I wonder if any of the budget stuff for players is tied to negotiations between TW and the chairman....I've no idea what increase in salary TW would expect on his new contract, but being he led us to our best ever season, perhaps he wants a big bump and the Browns are slowing everything down/new player budgets because of this, not to mention the Stevie May situation is unresolved....

A lot going on I suspect, behind the curtains right now, and Browns have always been conservative in their approach. They would not rush to making euphoric, bold, new contract decisions on the 18th May. This approach has served us well, although we have lost out of a few signings that looked decent. personally, I'm sad we didn't pick up Goodwillie, looks like we could have been a good home for him and at not an unreasonable salary. So be it, we are who we are.

if an offer was put on table for Dunne then where has that money went !!!! there must have been some sort of budget to make the offer ????

yes a lot of saints fans are wondering that too

i m sure dunne signed for pompey on free transfer from stevenage after saints apparantly making an offer for him

possibly the board didnt want to alarm fans as to the lack of any player budget at that time

hopefully muzz gets fit enough to be offered contract

really hope the board sort out mays contract

Wise words from Macca in The Courier today..................even the players know we are well short and in need of new blood.

We’ll see what happens over the next few weeks. It would give the whole place a lift — supporters as well — if we make a signing or two.“Fans always look for signings in pre-season. We’re thin on the ground. That’s the risk you take. We know as a squad that we’re probably a couple short.

Macca -  The Courier

Macca can do no wrong IMHO................ he got me 2 seats on the charter!!!  I am not that bothered about Badfanny he might have been a good signing then again as is more likely he would have unsettled the dressing room with being a total knobend off the park. A couple of signings before the season starts would be nice though!!!

The whole situation is depressing. I Dont understand how anyone can defend the club on this.

The club let first team players go to free up wages end of last season

The club have not signed a new player yet

TW hasn't signed a new contract yet after initialy saying he wants to.

TW not been allowed to buy a player

Tw publicly saying he doesn't have a budget yet a week before our first competitive game

May not signed a new contract

All of the above makes me feel a tad empty inside and very worried the sh*t is going to hit the fan. It was potentially going to be tough to hold onto a great man manager like tw...now it's going to be almost impossible. It was going to be difficult to hold onto stevie....now with this lack of ambition shown by the club, it will be almost impossible.

the club need to stop humouring us with second rate PR treating us fans like we are feckin idiots. TW gets put infront of cameras to explain why he can't sign anyone....that's not his job. Does the board think fans, like me, will sit down and get shafted by a club that does its verbal communication through Cummings videos (he does a very good job, not knocking him)?

The club asked us to support them on 17may and we did. They ask us to go to the euro games, I have and I will make the trips from Essex again this year....why are they treating me / us with contempt by the shambles that has been this pre season?

Just saying like.

Steve brown is a little boy who clearly hasn't a clue about PR or man management Geoff however is allowing his son to do his job however this dour little prick needs to reward the Saintees for their huge support and loyalty by re energizing this up and coming season or all the hard work will be forgotten Steve wants yes men and unfortunately he's got it

Steve brown is a little boy who clearly hasn't a clue about PR or man management Geoff however is allowing his son to do his job however this dour little prick needs to reward the Saintees for their huge support and loyalty by re energizing this up and coming season or all the hard work will be forgotten Steve wants yes men and unfortunately he's got it

Is it past your bedtime?

I am not sure if you are bring ironic or not and yes it is a bit frustrating at the moment but that dour little prick has delivered three top six finishes, three European qualifications

and the Scottish Cup in his three years in charge.

I am not sure if you are bring ironic or not and yes it is a bit frustrating at the moment but that dour little prick has delivered three top six finishes, three European qualifications

I'm being serious and note TW is still from the Geoff brown era that little boy is still hanging onto his fathers success just like his living

I am not sure if you are bring ironic or not and yes it is a bit frustrating at the moment but that dour little prick has delivered three top six finishes, three European qualifications

...and yet I still don't think I've ever seen a smile on his face.

On the park the club has excelled, no doubt about that whatsoever. But off the park Brown JR is a walking PR disaster, especially during his quick, cringeworthy and uncomfortable brushes with the media. The further away that man is from a microphone or a TV camera the better.

Maybe the budget is being spent on a charter to Switzerland, no fan seats being made available so is the budget funding a succulent lamb airlines trip to Switzerland?

Previous years costings would suggest the over inflated costs paid by some die hards would have more than paid for a vast majority of the flight. As there are no fans onboard fitting the bill this year, where's that dosh coming from?

Edited by TommyTurnersTache

I'm being serious and note TW is still from the Geoff brown era that little boy is still hanging onto his fathers success just like his living

Wow you are hard to please. It was Steve Brown that appointed Tommy Wright and he had a big part in Lomas appointment. If the success we've had recently doesn't give the guy the benefit of the doubt- nothing will.

While I am a little disappointed with the no signings (so far) I can't say that I have a problem with how Steve Brown runs the club. As has been mentioned earlier, he has to take a lot of credit in the past few seasons. Thinking about things, I can see where he is coming from, I have a vague memory of comments made just after the cup final where he said we would be spending a lot of the infrastructure around the club and that would cost high six figures.

I terms of the wage budget, it has been stated that Dunne, Iwewlmo (sp?) and Clancy were over and above our intended budget due to injuries etc. So we haven't 'saved' their wages. The lads we let go like Hasselbaink, Cregg & Fallon have been replaced by six (or seven) youths, which would have used up a bit amount of any saving. We also resigned players and you would expect that some would have signed back on on a higher wage. Then we have Stevie May, I suspect we will end up dangling a fairly large carrot (for us anyway) infront of him to sign back on so until he does so, we don't really know how much of the playing budget his new contract will take up.

So, as far as I can see, the 'prize money' for the cup has been spent and probably most, if not all the wage budget from last year has gone as well. Also taking into account no Hibs or Hearts a dwindling Celtic away support and still no league sponser I ain't all that surprised.

We have a decent squad as it is...time to be a little more positive.