Player contracts and transfers

David123

Maybe the budget is being spent on a charter to Switzerland, no fan seats being made available so is the budget funding a succulent lamb airlines trip to Switzerland?

Previous years costings would suggest the over inflated costs paid by some die hards would have more than paid for a vast majority of the flight. As there are no fans onboard fitting the bill this year, where's that dosh coming from?

Em there is fans on board.

While I am a little disappointed with the no signings (so far) I can't say that I have a problem with how Steve Brown runs the club. As has been mentioned earlier, he has to take a lot of credit in the past few seasons. Thinking about things, I can see where he is coming from, I have a vague memory of comments made just after the cup final where he said we would be spending a lot of the infrastructure around the club and that would cost high six figures.

I terms of the wage budget, it has been stated that Dunne, Iwewlmo (sp?) and Clancy were over and above our intended budget due to injuries etc. So we haven't 'saved' their wages. The lads we let go like Hasselbaink, Cregg & Fallon have been replaced by six (or seven) youths, which would have used up a bit amount of any saving. We also resigned players and you would expect that some would have signed back on on a higher wage. Then we have Stevie May, I suspect we will end up dangling a fairly large carrot (for us anyway) infront of him to sign back on so until he does so, we don't really know how much of the playing budget his new contract will take up.

So, as far as I can see, the 'prize money' for the cup has been spent and probably most, if not all the wage budget from last year has gone as well. Also taking into account no Hibs or Hearts a dwindling Celtic away support and still no league sponser I ain't all that surprised.

We have a decent squad as it is...time to be a little more positive.

Bang on,on the budget. However, I'm staggered as to why no one ever questions why we still do not have a league sponsor, despite being told for over a year and a half now that we are 'in discussions'.

That money is worth probably at least a couple of players to saints.

I get why the club have a tight budget etc, but the communication of strategy etc is shocking.

A lot of the criticising of the club this summer wouldn't be there if the club were more open and honest with the fans over strips, season tickets, etc.

Bang on,on the budget. However, I'm staggered as to why no one ever questions why we still do not have a league sponsor, despite being told for over a year and a half now that we are 'in discussions'.

That money is worth probably at least a couple of players to saints.

I get why the club have a tight budget etc, but the communication of strategy etc is shocking.

A lot of the criticising of the club this summer wouldn't be there if the club were more open and honest with the fans over strips, season tickets, etc.

No sponsor = Doncaster. The man is a useless arogant prick who's only interest is the bigot brothers. Why he is still in the job is anyones guess.

No sponsor = Doncaster. The man is a useless arogant prick who's only interest is the bigot brothers. Why he is still in the job is anyones guess.

The fact that is, teams like ourselves, Aberdeen, United etc have improved is in spite of his leadership, rather than because of it.

It's frightening that he is still in ANY job in Scottish football, let alone running the leagues!

First post in a while, but been reading forum for years. This is honestly one of the most depressing discussions I've seen, possibly ever, on this forum.

So our budgets have been cut.....

We are a relatively poor club with a low turnover and have been running a loss for a while, which has eaten into our cash reserves. These cash reserves only exist cause of the sensible(and arguably fantastic) way that our club has been run over the years by our board, especially the Browns. For a few years not that long ago we posted profits based on property deals and the non footballing income of the club has long been a vital part of the clubs turnover. Our gates are low and with arguably three of the biggest four clubs in the country not even in our league this season the turnover is set to drop again. 

As has been said in various places we've been renting training facilities down in Stirling for the last few years, the club are now sensibly, with the long term survival of the club in mind, investing in our own facilities. The benefits to this are impossible to argue against. Saints players will now be in Perth, making them a visible and arguably more approachable part of the community; the cost of maintaining our facilities will be much cheaper than the rent at SU; the land was already owned by the club and they've been able to adapt existing facilities within the stadium so although the outlay is high it's not that high. There's also the chance for us to increase our income by renting out the facilities to some of the further north part time league clubs and any number of other teams. Which is a fantastic use of a cash injection that we've been lucky to get. 

The club were stung a bit by the cost of travel to the Belarus game last season and maybe that's why the budgets haven't been finalised. They won't want to be taking out a loan or an overdraft to pay for a 5-6 figure travel bill. Now we know we're going to the relatively cheap(to get to) Switzerland, we might find that there is some activity on the manager or May's contracts.

Youth players getting a chance is great to see and there's so much enthusiasm around Brown and Kane in particular, as others have said a hungry eager Kane is a much better option that Iwelumo(sp?) or Fallon. It would have been nice to keep a flair player like Hasslebank but he was on a high wage and the club cannot afford to pay one of it's highest wages to a player that inconsistent, as great as he was when he was on it. 

Youth recruitment(and player recruitment generally) must be a difficult aspect of running a club and if young guys see they'll get a chance to play for saints we become a much more attractive club to sign for. Which is fantastic for the long term growth and development of the club.

It is frustrating that we possibly won't be seeing any new signings this summer, but we have a strong squad and the league is arguably weaker than last year, we'll still finish 6-8th which is pretty good going for the size of squad we have, money we make/spend and relative size of the club.

The PR could be improved, in terms of keeping fans in the loop but then the level of detail that a fan of a football club wants probably doesn't match up all that well with good business practice. The Brown's may come across as dour and not very excitable but then I think that may be a Carse thing. My partners from the Carse and we live out here and I swear everyone just sort of gets on with everything without much fuss, hardly the worst characteristics to have, it is possibly this level headiness that kept the club being run on an even keel when other clubs were jizzing money up the wall.

The board has shown throughout the time the Browns have been involved have consistently shown that they they have the clubs best interests at heart and plan our spending as part of the long term with the bigger picture in mind. That is what this feels like again, the pieces are being put in place to ensure that this great club continues to be abel to run and over achieve in the best ways that it can. I for one believe that everything that is being done in the interest of the club.

Maybe the budget is being spent on a charter to Switzerland, no fan seats being made available so is the budget funding a succulent lamb airlines trip to Switzerland?

Previous years costings would suggest the over inflated costs paid by some die hards would have more than paid for a vast majority of the flight. As there are no fans onboard fitting the bill this year, where's that dosh coming from?

Wrong.

Steve brown is a little boy who clearly hasn't a clue about PR or man management Geoff however is allowing his son to do his job however this dour little prick needs to reward the Saintees for their huge support and loyalty by re energizing this up and coming season or all the hard work will be forgotten Steve wants yes men and unfortunately he's got it

Very wrong

The budget thing is a funny one. There will obviously have been a shift in what may be available to the manager due to the cup run and subsequent win. However, this could be cancelled out by the potential costs of a successful stint in Europe. I wouldn't be surprised if the manager doesn't know his budget yet because neither does the chairman. The cost of a chartered flight to Switzerland alone could be something that could be soaked up by the fans who choose to travel on the clubs package or, if the fans do not take up that option, the club may have to absorb the cost themselves as per Minsk last season. It may well be that the budget won't become a clearer issue until after the outcome of the first round has been played.

Other factors will include the obvious issues surrounding contract talks for Stevie May and Tommy Wright although I think it'd be more the former. The club may well be preparing to make him our highest paid player and this increase in wages for him could be at the sacrifice of another player entirely. This means that Tommy Wright isn't really free to go about signing anyone until it's sorted. To a lesser extent the club may also have allocated any extra money from last seasons successes to operational/home improvements.

I'd imagine TW probably has a budget of sorts, but it could increase dramatically once these other issues are resolved and he is maybe holding off because he could go out and sign someone like Rory Fallon now on his "basic budget" if you like, or could wait and see if he gets a better budget to go and stake a claim for a better caliber of player. Obviously this delay means you run the very real risk of simply losing out on all the better players, but it may well be that at this stage it's a risk we have to take.

Edited by SaintSam1884

First post in a while, but been reading forum for years. This is honestly one of the most depressing discussions I've seen, possibly ever, on this forum.

We are a relatively poor club with a low turnover and have been running a loss for a while, which has eaten into our cash reserves. These cash reserves only exist cause of the sensible(and arguably fantastic) way that our club has been run over the years by our board, especially the Browns. For a few years not that long ago we posted profits based on property deals and the non footballing income of the club has long been a vital part of the clubs turnover. Our gates are low and with arguably three of the biggest four clubs in the country not even in our league this season the turnover is set to drop again. 

As has been said in various places we've been renting training facilities down in Stirling for the last few years, the club are now sensibly, with the long term survival of the club in mind, investing in our own facilities. The benefits to this are impossible to argue against. Saints players will now be in Perth, making them a visible and arguably more approachable part of the community; the cost of maintaining our facilities will be much cheaper than the rent at SU; the land was already owned by the club and they've been able to adapt existing facilities within the stadium so although the outlay is high it's not that high. There's also the chance for us to increase our income by renting out the facilities to some of the further north part time league clubs and any number of other teams. Which is a fantastic use of a cash injection that we've been lucky to get. 

The club were stung a bit by the cost of travel to the Belarus game last season and maybe that's why the budgets haven't been finalised. They won't want to be taking out a loan or an overdraft to pay for a 5-6 figure travel bill. Now we know we're going to the relatively cheap(to get to) Switzerland, we might find that there is some activity on the manager or May's contracts.

Youth players getting a chance is great to see and there's so much enthusiasm around Brown and Kane in particular, as others have said a hungry eager Kane is a much better option that Iwelumo(sp?) or Fallon. It would have been nice to keep a flair player like Hasslebank but he was on a high wage and the club cannot afford to pay one of it's highest wages to a player that inconsistent, as great as he was when he was on it. 

Youth recruitment(and player recruitment generally) must be a difficult aspect of running a club and if young guys see they'll get a chance to play for saints we become a much more attractive club to sign for. Which is fantastic for the long term growth and development of the club.

It is frustrating that we possibly won't be seeing any new signings this summer, but we have a strong squad and the league is arguably weaker than last year, we'll still finish 6-8th which is pretty good going for the size of squad we have, money we make/spend and relative size of the club.

The PR could be improved, in terms of keeping fans in the loop but then the level of detail that a fan of a football club wants probably doesn't match up all that well with good business practice. The Brown's may come across as dour and not very excitable but then I think that may be a Carse thing. My partners from the Carse and we live out here and I swear everyone just sort of gets on with everything without much fuss, hardly the worst characteristics to have, it is possibly this level headiness that kept the club being run on an even keel when other clubs were jizzing money up the wall.

The board has shown throughout the time the Browns have been involved have consistently shown that they they have the clubs best interests at heart and plan our spending as part of the long term with the bigger picture in mind. That is what this feels like again, the pieces are being put in place to ensure that this great club continues to be abel to run and over achieve in the best ways that it can. I for one believe that everything that is being done in the interest of the club.

You should post more often. Doubt I'll read a better post than that one this season.

Excellent post.

The budget thing is a funny one. There will obviously have been a shift in what may be available to the manager due to the cup run and subsequent win. However, this could be cancelled out by the potential costs of a successful stint in Europe. I wouldn't be surprised if the manager doesn't know his budget yet because neither does the chairman. The cost of a chartered flight to Switzerland alone could be something that could be soaked up by the fans who choose to travel on the clubs package or, if the fans do not take up that option, the club may have to absorb the cost themselves as per Minsk last season. It may well be that the budget won't become a clearer issue until after the outcome of the first round has been played.

Other factors will include the obvious issues surrounding contract talks for Stevie May and Tommy Wright although I think it'd be more the former. The club may well be preparing to make him our highest paid player and this increase in wages for him could be at the sacrifice of another player entirely. This means that Tommy Wright isn't really free to go about signing anyone until it's sorted. To a lesser extent the club may also have allocated any extra money from last seasons successes to operational/home improvements.

I'd imagine TW probably has a budget of sorts, but it could increase dramatically once these other issues are resolved and he is maybe holding off because he could go out and sign someone like Rory Fallon now on his "basic budget" if you like, or could wait and see if he gets a better budget to go and stake a claim for a better caliber of player. Obviously this delay means you run the very real risk of simply losing out on all the better players, but it may well be that at this stage it's a risk we have to take.

Another excellent post.  

I've had a few days to mull this over, and I actually don't think what we've got is in dire need of strengthening. We're lucky enough to have a core group of 16 senior players with real first team experience (you've got Clark, Caddis, Brown and Kane also who aren't included in that, but all look ready to contribute to the first team now) and a group of youngsters that the management team do have high hopes for, although they're perhaps not quite there yet. If we don't sign anyone in this window, there's always the January one just around the corner if it looks like we're going to have some suspensions to contend with and if we haven't dipped into the market already.

Saying all that, I do think we need to try and find some money for a left sided midfielder. You look across the park and we've got at least 2 players that are comfortable in each position, except for there. O'Halloran, Wotherspoon and May have all played there, and reasonably well, but you can see it's not their natural position. Thinking allowed for a moment - might Zander Clark's loan free up another wage for the manager to strengthen this part of the team?

I would also like to see us sign a striker as Maclean has had a few bad injuries to contend with in his 18 months so far at the club and you just never know when we might lose May, but we've got Kane and O'Halloran who can play there also. A striker is the lesser of the two priorities in the market anyway IMO.

I am not sure if you are bring ironic or not and yes it is a bit frustrating at the moment but that dour little prick has delivered three top six finishes, three European qualifications

and the Scottish Cup in his three years in charge.

No he hasn't.

The Football people have.

I'm neither here nor there on the Brown family in general. Geoff did well to broker deals that saw the move to McDiarmid and the like, but the esteem they seem to be held in makes it appear they've wasted the Family Fortune on Saints.

Think we need to remember yes the lack of signing and budget is annoying but I'd rather kept tight for this season and flourished in the long term future.

I think the bigger worry for me in not up top but out on the left. I may be wrong as I can't get to many games, but our LM or LW options are O'Halloran, May, Wotherspoon and either advancing Scobbie/Easton. If say O'Halloran has to play up front or gets injured... That leaves us rather weak on the flanks IMO.

No he hasn't.

I'm neither here nor there on the Brown family in general. Geoff did well to broker deals that saw the move to McDiarmid and the like, but the esteem they seem to be held in makes it appear they've wasted the Family Fortune on Saints.

If you're prepared to hold a Chairman accountable when a poor managerial appointment is made and the club suffers as a result, then they deserve credit when an obviously good managerial appointment is made and the club enjoys success as a result. Steve and Geoff Brown have been directly responsible for making these decisions over the last several years that have brought lots of successful times to the club. The very "football people" you talk about would not be able to do the job they do without the people in charge at the top.

Hibs are an excellent example of people running a football club who do not have a clue about football, and their recent relegation is testament to that.

Budgets.Maybe they factored in the money were getting for knocking down the North Stand which doesn`t seem to be happening now.

I suspect one of the reasons (aside from the ones I mentioned earlier) for developing the old overflow carpark might have something to do with the higher price they'll make from any future sale of the land. That edge of town is about to become the biggest development site Perth has seen in a very very long time. Which will mean that the ground and training facilities will become very valuable.

No he hasn't.

To be fair, I don't think anyone treats them like they've "wasted the family fortune on Saints", if anything they're held in such high esteem because they have done precisely the opposite.

Clubs that have done that, Gretna, Rangers Motherwell, Dundee & Hearts two of whom don't exist, one of whom's just been relegated for the first time in decades and Dundee and Motherwell who have exploited the system.