Player contracts and transfers

David123

I have read the on-line DR article.

I have also read the forum with interest on this matter and without being privy to the facts it is difficult to know what is really going on.

However, in my opinion, having a headline in a national newspaper crying the poor tale and saying Saints are "skint" is extremely poor PR and before anyone says that was the DR's headline (which it probably was) - when I have been at functions where SB was speaking that was the message he was giving (which personally gets me very annoyed).

This is not a sack the board sort of post - I genuinely appreciate what the Brown family etc have done for the club.

But we won the cup FFS - let's have a bit of positivity from the top - it may never happen again in my (or many others) lifetime

Seems there is a new signing - http://www.perthstjohnstonefc.co.uk/newsitemsdetail.php?param=3044

Chairman Steve Brown has moved to add a new face to the helm of the club with the appointment of life-long Saints fan John McDougall to the club’s Board of Directors.

Perth-based John, a manager with Dulux decorators merchants, has joined Steve, Charlie Fraser and Stan Harris onto the McDiarmid Board and in a separate move, Charlie has been appointed Vice Chairman of the Club.

Brown said: “John and I used to go to games together in the 1980s. We go back a long way, 40 years or thereabouts, and he has management experience.

“John has been really involved with the fans’ forum and will be taking that forward. He’ll also be involved with things like maintenance, health and safety and various other aspects of the club. He’s got practical skills we didn’t have.

“We wanted to bring another director in to spread the workload. We’re not where we want to be in certain areas of the business and hopefully bring John in will aid us in that regard.

“Having a general manager or chief executive hasn’t worked for various reasons. Bigger clubs employ chief executives and directors of football. But we don’t have that option. It’s a necessity to have volunteers for a club this size.

“The club is so diverse as a business these days. It’s grown even in the time I’ve been chairman.”

A partner with law firm Aberdein Considine, Charlie Fraser was appointed to the board three years ago. Now he steps up to the role of vice chairman.

He said: “I’m honoured, delighted and flattered to be appointed vice-chairman.

“It’s intended that I’ll get a bit more involved with the formal football meetings in Glasgow. It’s probably unfair that one person has that burden and we can share the workload.”

If May and Wright are both signed up and we invest in youth and training then we have to look at the positives. There's no question that it's frustrating not to see one player signed but our club has been run correctly over the last few decades and that won't change any time soon. Brown has said if push comes to shove we'll sign players so there's insurance of some form there. If he thinks signing players now could cause financial problems then I'll trust him. Still think we've a much better squad that most other SPFL teams and even though there's no marquee signing, things could be a hell of a lot worse. 

Keeping May for another year should hopefully mean that we, at least, manage a mid-table finish this season (if not better), then if we sell him at end of season, TW can invest in the squad for the following year

Maybe the club do have a 3 year business plan

Year 1 - Squad good enough to maintain SPFL status - blood youngsters - keep May and TW - invest in infrastructure

Year 2 - sell May - give cash to TW to invest in squad (bit of a refresh - some old legs by then) - some residual infra structure costs - another solid SPFL performance

Year 3 - win League, League Cup, Scottish Cup and Europa League titles :cool:

Year 7 - sort out OS :wink:

Don't think any supporter can criticise the way in which the club has been managed and developed over the years including the more recent / ongoing investment in infrastructure and youth.........however......... I would like to know what targets have been given to TW and the players for this season given, on paper, the less competitive league relative to last year. Surely our aspirations ought to be greater than at the start of last year, even though we ultimately outperformed. In my humble opinion there needs to be an element of risk in the business plan which gives the manager a clear opportunity to outperform. TW clearly understands the financial imperative dynamic and need to bring through young players but I suspect that he would have a realistic (and understandable) expectation that he would receive at least a degree of support to strengthen his squad. No doubt SB will point to an extended deal with Stevie May as being a risk / reward factor .....to an extent this would be true but it will not enhance the opportunity for the team to outperform this year. SB points to the fact that emergency signings will be contemplated as and when serious injuries / suspensions occur. Securing adequate loan signings at the drop of a hat is difficult, We were fortunate with Dunne last year but Iwelumo was simply not up to the job. My point is that TW should be allowed to bring at least one in now ..... with the pressure on him to ensure that the individual enhances the squad on the understanding that the emergency fund will be greatly diminished. Over and out.

Keeping May for another year should hopefully mean that we, at least, manage a mid-table finish this season (if not better), then if we sell him at end of season, TW can invest in the squad for the following year

Maybe the club do have a 3 year business plan

Year 1 - Squad good enough to maintain SPFL status - blood youngsters - keep May and TW - invest in infrastructure

Year 2 - sell May - give cash to TW to invest in squad (bit of a refresh - some old legs by then) - some residual infra structure costs - another solid SPFL performance

Year 3 - win League, League Cup, Scottish Cup and Europa League titles :cool:

Year 7 - sort out OS :wink:

First 3 years I can see happening.

Year 7 is just overly ambitious IMO.

So instead of receiving 750k we got around 400k

this money is being invested in stadium upgrade/training facilities and balancing any losses from past seasons

I take it the money that we saved from releasing mssrs hasselbaink,cregg etc is being used to tie up tw and sm on longer deals plus hopefully offering muzz a deal once fit

hopefully the extra season ticket sales will have brought extra income into the club

after one of the most successful seasons on and off the pitch it does make you wonder how similar sized spfl clubs are going to survive

Disappointed to see our new member of the board announced this morning, Johns a good guy and a lifelong Saints fan. He's also a boyhood pal of SB.

This board we have now is just a wee Gentlemans club now, like a wee clique. Yes they put the hours in but freebie trips away to Europe, cancels all that out.

The loss of revenue from poor club PR is criminal.

Barrossa Streets efforts last night to give money for youth development, is cancelled out pretty quickly when we have friends of the board, on planes going to Switzeland. It all costs money.

I don't think any board members are putting money into the club now. We live on what we bring in.

Sometimes think we can do so much better.

Disappointed to see our new member of the board announced this morning, Johns a good guy and a lifelong Saints fan. He's also a boyhood pal of SB.

This board we have now is just a wee Gentlemans club now, like a wee clique. Yes they put the hours in but freebie trips away to Europe, cancels all that out.

The loss of revenue from poor club PR is criminal.

Barrossa Streets efforts last night to give money for youth development, is cancelled out pretty quickly when we have friends of the board, on planes going to Switzeland. It all costs money.

I don't think any board members are putting money into the club now. We live on what we bring in.

Sometimes think we can do so much better.

I did think similar when I read the "we used to go to games together" bit....but, hey, if he brings something to the table, the fact that they are pals won't bother me one jot. If, however, he turns out to be just another appointment that we then hear feck all about any good they are doing...well, then, that is different

I did think similar when I read the "we used to go to games together" bit....but, hey, if he brings something to the table, the fact that they are pals won't bother me one jot. If, however, he turns out to be just another appointment that we then hear feck all about any good they are doing...well, then, that is different

Positive move - one assumes that the "ground improvements" will now get paint at trade price :D

I know John well, a hell of a nice guy but I can't see what he will bring to the club, much like most of them.

Yes they put the hours in but the perks of the job are a good benefit.

Sad thing is. These people cost money on European jaunts. Money we can I'll afford.

Our board is just a Gentlemans club now.

Edited by Saintly Child