Player contracts and transfers

David123

I'm pretty pleased about this signing. A year ago, if we had signed a guy from the league below us with his scoring record we would have been lauding it as a signing with excellent potential who could well come good under the proven tutelage of our management and coaching staff.

He had a mediocre season at Dundee Utd where other performed better and he barely got a chance. I still reckon he deserves a decent chance at a team like Saints where he will get the opportunity to prove himself and the direction toi make something of it.

27 goal strikers come along to a team like Saints very rarely and so the likelihood of replacing like for like was slim at best but ten to fifteen goals from him and McLean is more than fine by me.

Great post. Agree entirely.

He struggled to get into a United team that didn't really play to his strengths. He has shown that he's a goalscorer though and deserves a chance before people start the boo boy nonsense.

As far as the other potential options go this late in the window, I think Wright has pulled two really good signings out of the bag in Graham and Lappin. He's identified what we need and gone out and got those players.

I see Wright is saying we might yet get another one in yet. Fingers crossed it's a striker with real pace. Wouldn't be too surprised if it was a loan from the Premiership - Adam Campbell perhaps, seeing as we were interested last year?

Some of the members on here amuse me. They spend the whole close season since the Cup win critisising the board for everything apart from the weather, but most of all for not signing any new players. Now we have three on board in Morgan, Lappin and Graham, yet people still want to be critical before even seeing Graham play for us. Graham has a decent scoring record per starting appearances and I trust Tommy. Lappin appeared from off the radar, and from the short time I saw him on Saturday I think he will be a decent acquisition. Graham will also be wearing a Saints shirt from now on so let's reserve judgement and get behind him and the club!!!

Just what i was thinking 50 yrs.

Am sure one of our resident Arabs will correct me if wrong but was Graham not ahead of Goodwillie in the pecking order in the first half of last season?  Ciftci obviously the main man but the preferred back up seemed to be Graham.  In the cup final he also came on ahead of El Alagui when they were desperately seeking a goal.  

Had we signed Goodwilie or El Alagui then I'd imagine people would be delighted.

Am sure one of our resident Arabs will correct me if wrong but was Graham not ahead of Goodwillie in the pecking order in the first half of last season? Ciftci obviously the main man but the preferred back up seemed to be Graham. In the cup final he also came on ahead of El Alagui when they were desperately seeking a goal.

Had we signed Goodwilie or El Alagui then I'd imagine people would be delighted.

People are idiots.

Am sure one of our resident Arabs will correct me if wrong but was Graham not ahead of Goodwillie in the pecking order in the first half of last season?  Ciftci obviously the main man but the preferred back up seemed to be Graham.  In the cup final he also came on ahead of El Alagui when they were desperately seeking a goal.   Had we signed Goodwilie or El Alagui then I'd imagine people would be delighted.

Graham. Was the main back up over the course of the season. Goodie started for the first 6 or 7 matches and was then dropped as it became apparent he didn't fit the system. From then on graham was the 2nd choice. He's a decent spl player but not a hump it up top to the big man centre forward. But as saints don't generally play that way then that should not be an issue.

Graham. Was the main back up over the course of the season. Goodie started for the first 6 or 7 matches and was then dropped as it became apparent he didn't fit the system. From then on graham was the 2nd choice. He's a decent spl player but not a hump it up top to the big man centre forward. But as saints don't generally play that way then that should not be an issue.

Goodwillie doesn't seem to fit Aberdeen's system either..........

I'm reasonably OK with this signing. I don't know what was going through my head last night. Don't think we could find much better at this stage, but I was venting my frustrations precisely because of that. If Tommy had been allowed funds earlier, he could have made a serious beeline for one of his primary targets. That opportunity has gone though. Given the amount of time until the transfer window closes, it's a decent move. His goal-scoring record isn't that bad and Saints are the club to get the best out of players who have maybe become a bit disillusioned elsewhere.

Welcome to St. Johnstone, Brian Graham. Look forward to seeing you banging in the goals.

Goodwillie doesn't seem to fit Aberdeen's system either..........

Off topic but yes Aberdeen was a strange choice. He has always had more success in a front two. Aberdeen generally play one up top like United. On top of that the level of abuse he took from the Aberdeen fans was greater than any other club. But his fundamental problem is he has never recovered from the rape allegation. His confidence and swagger, which are huge parts of his game, have gone. Coupled with bad luck and poor career choices on top of that and he simply isn't the same player mentally. Saints would have been a far better option for him to repair his career.

On topic, Graham was United's top scorer in preseason.

Wasn't sure about this at first, but when you look at number of goals he scored last season and preseason compared to the actual gametime he was give, its a pretty good record. With Macca up top with him, they could form a deadly partnership. Welcome to the only team in Tayside Brian Graham

I'd be astounded if this was true

no mention of this on the ross county forums apart from couple of posts about him not being played despite being fit

Adams sacking was based on poor results

cant imagine saints paying a transfer fee for the player who is still under contract

Off topic but yes Aberdeen was a strange choice. He has always had more success in a front two. Aberdeen generally play one up top like United. On top of that the level of abuse he took from the Aberdeen fans was greater than any other club. But his fundamental problem is he has never recovered from the rape allegation. His confidence and swagger, which are huge parts of his game, have gone. Coupled with bad luck and poor career choices on top of that and he simply isn't the same player mentally. Saints would have been a far better option for him to repair his career.

On topic, Graham was United's top scorer in preseason.

From the way Goodwillie was hugging the Saints players at full time last week, I'd say he would prefer to have been here himself.

Chris Kane has joined Dumbarton on loan until January.

No surprise but at least it is only til January.

I think Dylan Easton will have to go out as well as I can`t see him even getting on the bench.

Caddis is another that may struggle to get on the bench but there is nothing in it for him to go on loan I don`t think.