Player contracts and transfers

David123

Caddis could do a job at right back when short as well. Seen him play there and he looked much more comfortable than say Lappin out of position.

I think Caddis should be given a game out on the right wing. Hes too slight for Scottish football in cm.

Edited by PerthSeany

I'd very much doubt Davidson is one of our highest earners. I wouldn't offer him a new contract - he's not looked up to much since his knee injury, and he wasn't much better before that. A shame given the potential he had. 

In terms of pay to performance ratio, I'd say Lappin has been the biggest disappointment. I would bet he is one of our highest earners, and he is very very average. Not the quality of player I'd expected.

Lee Croft I'd agree has been disappointing in his second spell, as Aitchy says. 

One player I'd like to see play more is Scott Brown. Not sure why he has dropped out of things so much, I thought he looked promising. 

Agree with much of what has been said here. I'm not sure why Brown has dropped completely out of things. Whilst still having a bit to learn I think he's got all the components to be an excellent holding midfield player. Him and Millar would work well together.

That doesn't really solve the major problem of creativity and pace but perhaps having a passer in there that can get the ball to Worherspoon and O'Halloran would help with that. MacLean should help with that too in terms of holding the ball up and spreading the play. I'm not a Graham fan but appreciate needs to be another option given MacLeans injury record.

McFadden has excited me on a couple of occasions but on balance agree with Kyle. I think he's done and he probably knows it. He's going to miss as many games as he plays.

At risk of contradicting my views on giving Scott Brown a chance; is there any hope of getting James Dunne back? No idea if he plays for Portsmouth but I really liked him. Him and Millar were fantastic in the cup final. Sadly Muzz looks a long way from the player he was.

Squad definitely needs freshened ahead of next season. This time round think we'll finish 6th which in grand scheme of things is more than fine. Frustration is that it could have been better with way league has shaped up. Retain the cup and nobody will care less anyway......

Have to say I'm a bit concerned about Wright overhauling the squad. His signings have been a bit hit and miss overall. To clarify I'm absolutely not advocating a change of manager here, far from it. This next period will simply highlight again what a great team we've had now over many years with great spine at the heart of it.

Agree with almost all of what Kyle says. It feels harsh to be a football fan sometimes, even for a club as lowly as Saints :P but we do not pay our money into McDiarmid to have passengers at our club. Players like Liam Caddis and Gary Miller need to show during their current contracts that they are worthwhile as footballers and if not they need to find a new start at a different club.

Agree with almost all of what Kyle says. It feels harsh to be a football fan sometimes, even for a club as lowly as Saints :P but we do not pay our money into McDiarmid to have passengers at our club. Players like Liam Caddis and Gary Miller need to show during their current contracts that they are worthwhile as footballers and if not they need to find a new start at a different club.

Agree, but they need a chance to prove themselves. I have great respect for our management team, they have brought us great success on smaller and smaller budgets, and far be it for me to criticise them. However, Caddis has played very few games, and when asked to play more than 10 minutes he has done well, only to be dropped immediately. Scott Brown was the outstanding performer early season, according to the MOTM polls. After returning from injury he hasn't even made a sub appearance. How can they prove themselves?

Brown- I'm not convinced although I'd be willing to give him a chance. Keep

Muzz - just doesn't fill me with confidence. It's like he's not even over his injuries! Get rid

Lappin - has been disappointing and I reckon he is a big earner but he has shown on limited occasions what he can do. Get rid

Crofty - has been disappointing too but I think he's getting better. I reckon he'll be a big earner too. Keep

Caddis - I just don't see what he brings to the team. I'd get him off the payroll. Get rid

Gary Miller - I think he'll be away this window. It's shown by the way TW has used him, giving him appearance bonus with 3 minute cameo appearances. Get rid.

Graham - Not done enough for me but unless we have another option, I would consider signing him as a squad player. Keep

McFadden - Dunno about him. It's all about value. A pay as you play contract would be beneficial to us because I can see the class he has. Keep

At the end of the day, we are not gonna get any superstars on the wages we pay. As Saints fans, we can accept that but it's nice to find a little gem now and again.

As for James Dunne, he's played nearly every game in the league for Portsmouth so I doubt we'd get him back but I would also have him back.. in a heartbeat!

1 cross from maybe what 50+ attempts this season? I recon I could do just as well or better. Plus Croft didn't beat anyone. He had 10 minutes to cross it.

I like Croft, he works hard etc but let's not make excuses for the lack of quality recently in his delivery into the box overall.

Have you seen the last two performances? Nearly all the defeats we have had this season has been because we have created nothing and struggled to break teams down.

If we want to win games, particularly at home our midfield needs to create more than they are doing. Simple as because none of them did today.

In seasons past our success in the league has been built on home dominance.

1 cross from 50+ attempts this season & you could do better? What are you on? :) The last 2 performances were the fault of the whole team (apart from Mannus)

Happily see us get rid of Banks, as next season Clark should really be pushing Mannus for the starting place, and I feel like we'd get a better coach anyway. 

Miller I actually like, but he's not done enough to warrant a starting place and quite frankly we'd be better looking for someone who can, especially with the ageing defence. Talking of which I feel like this is Wrights last year, I'd like him to stay, as he can cope at this level without legs but he's hobbling about for the last half hour anyway, and I'd be surprised if he lasts the season. Mackay, Scobbie and Easton are all important players we should keep.

In midfield we should let go of Croft, Caddis, McDonald and Davidson. Croft just doesn't perform enough, one good cross, every so often or a good game every now and then just isn't good enough. I'm aware he's favoured because he's willing to work back, but that shouldn't be the stand out quality for a winger, and its not as if he's miles better at it than the others anyway. Caddis just simply isn't going to make it here, he gets a hard time with barely any playing time but he rarely does anything noteworthy when he's on the pitch anyway, the fact his last man tackle on Sunday is likely the biggest contribution he's ever made in a Saints shirt should probably say it all, feel like he's only being kept around as he's come through the ranks, has six months to prove us wrong. McDonald adds nothing apart from when he's playing further forward, and we have numerous players better in that position than him. Davidsons becoming the next Kevin Moon, we simply can't afford to be paying players hospital bills for 11 months of the year, time to cut our losses and move on, as he'll never be the player he was physically or mentally. Millars a no brainer for a new contract, while Browns shown enough to suggest he'll be useful at this level and can improve.

Graham I'd be happy to keep as back up, he'll get you double figures which is a massive thing, if he was signed as a stick on starter I'd be disappointed though. McFadden just simply won't perform enough to warrant a place either, sadly, as theres flashes of absolute genius in there, the legs have gone though.

Last Summer was a perfect chance to have rebuilt tbh. Paul McGinn, Mark Durnan, James Dunne, Tony Andreu, Liam Craig and David Goodwillie were all available to the right buyer, and I reckon we could've afforded them. Whether we could've actually got all of them at one time is a different matter, but even getting some would've sorted some of the worries in the squad. A lack of quality wingers is a nationwide problem though, so we're not alone, not sure Watkins is the answer is he's always seemed inconsistent and liable to disappearing from games to me.

Would also like us to be more proactive in snapping up the best of the young talent from the lower leagues if our own young players are deemed not ready or not good enough.

Dundee got Greg Stewart from Cowdenbeath, utd got Andy Robertson and Blair Spittal from Queens Park, Charlie Telfer from Rangers and have just signed a striker from Arbroath, so there is obviously talent out there.

Interesting to see in the first 12 league games of the season our players had lowest shooting accuracy in the league... 8% lower than anyone else. 

I cant see im shocked though. 

Older article from November - http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/celtic/298352-stat-zone-who-are-the-divisions-most-ruthless-goalscorers/

Edited by PerthSeany

Really would like Murray to get a run of games before we decide to not offer him anything. The league looks to be dead rubbers for the rest of the season, let's see if he can find what he used to have. There's obviously a player in there somewhere.

Really would like Murray to get a run of games before we decide to not offer him anything. The league looks to be dead rubbers for the rest of the season, let's see if he can find what he used to have. There's obviously a player in there somewhere.

Unfortunately, that's not going to happen anytime soon.

I may be naive to the way things go but surely it's possibly to study Championship and 1st Div players stats, list the best ones, watch them play a few games and then approach them through proper chain of command and offer them trial? Is it not as easy as that? A lot of these players are capable of holding their own against a Rangers side that we lost to so there must be something there....?