Player contracts and transfers

David123

Good to see Mackay signing back on...would have been surprised if he hadn't. The main re-siging is Mannus, would be delighted if he stayed.

On Croft, to me he is doing much more defensively than he did when he was on loan and as a result isn't high enough up the field to get into scoring positions. Not sure I agree with not getting enough quality crosses in...we just haven't had the player who would get in the position to score from the cross this season.

Good to see Mackay signing back on...would have been surprised if he hadn't. The main re-siging is Mannus, would be delighted if he stayed.

On Croft, to me he is doing much more defensively than he did when he was on loan and as a result isn't high enough up the field to get into scoring positions. Not sure I agree with not getting enough quality crosses in...we just haven't had the player who would get in the position to score from the cross this season.

I just think he lacks the pace to get his head up and deliver a good cross.  No question he has ability, and when he does get space, he can deliver pinpoint accurate balls, but if a defender stays tight to him he simply hasn't got the pace to beat him.  It might be a controversial suggestion, but I'd rather see Spoony on the right, because he has the skill and pace to beat full backs.  

On Scott Brown, he was most people's MOTM in the Euro games, and I am baffled by his fall from favour.  He seems like a hard working lad too, and always gives 100% when he does get on the park.  I had really high hopes for him, and with the fragile nature of Muzz, I'd be quite pleased to see a midfield partnership of Brown and Millar given game time to establish themselves.  

While I think TW rates Brown, I wonder if he feels he is a little bit of a liability with the passing side of his game. While he was impressive early in the season he did have a couple of games where his mislaid pass led to a goal. The likes of Lappin have the experience not to try those passes...mind you Brown won't get the experience unless he plays.

I think Brown scored a cracking goal for the Development Squad in the defeat of Hearts last night.

Re Mannus....yes, of course, would love it if he re-signed, but at least we have a promising keeper in Zander if Mannus decided his future lies elsewhere. We would then only be looking for a back up keeper in the summer

Club statement on it for anyone not on facebook

Following captain Dave Mackay committing to a new contract at McDiarmid Park, Saints now have 11 players signed up for next season or beyond: Mackay, Lappin, Anderson, Millar, MacLean, Wotherspoon, Clark, B Easton, Kane, O'Halloran, D Easton.

That leaves the following players out of contract in May: Mannus, Scobbie, Wright, Banks, Caddis, McFadden, Davidson, G Miller, Brown, Croft, Rodger.

The loan deals of Brian Graham and Danny Swanson also expire in the summer.

Plus the other Mackay (sp) signed up on pre-contract.

Tommy Wright was very unhappy with Brown's performance in Inverness away game and we've not really seen him involved since. I like him but it seems Tommy doesn't quite trust him in there yet. Like Caddis, if they were good enough surely they'd be involved more?

Tommy Wright was very unhappy with Brown's performance in Inverness away game and we've not really seen him involved since. I like him but it seems Tommy doesn't quite trust him in there yet. Like Caddis, if they were good enough surely they'd be involved more?

Brown for me is a much better player than Caddis

I had hoped Caddis would make the grade at SPFL level, but I think that ship may have sailed for him (for now anyway). He could be one of those players that would benefit from dropping a division for a year or two and then will be picked up in the future by a bigger team again and we will all be posting about how we let him go

Brown will be a good SPL player if allowed to develop (and learns to cut out dangerous back-passes)

16-02-15 St Johnstone 2-0 Hearts

Hearts succumbed to two excellent second half goals from St Johnstone in what was otherwise a dull affair only matched by the half lit Excelsior stadium in Airdrie. Neither side managed a shot on target in a first half devoid of goalmouth action. In the second period Saints’ Scott Brown scored with a 30 yard screamer, then followed up with a neatly chipped finish from substitute Paul Esslemont from a quick break forward. At least Saints managed those two shots on target while Hearts again failed to register any effort on target.

Pleased to see McKay signing on for next season. In my opinion it will probably be his final season. At times this year he has struggled with pace and stamina when he goes on his lung bursting over laps. I would keep Croft because of his defensive qualities and ability to cover his fullback. I need to see more of Brown to make up my mind I am happy with his positioning, tackling and passing what gives me concern is his lack of pace.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/sport/football/st-johnstone/st-johnstone-captain-had-early-fears-over-perth-career-1.839575

Both MacKay and TW appear to see a good few years left yet by sounds of it. We need to find a RB before can move in though

Im guessing with brad mckay signing up and tommy being quoted in saying dave mackay sees himself moving to centre back, that one of scobbie or frazer wright wont be renewed this summer?

Im guessing with brad mckay signing up and tommy being quoted in saying dave mackay sees himself moving to centre back, that one of scobbie or frazer wright wont be renewed this summer?

For all Wright has been great for us, keeping him and letting Scobbie go at this point in their careers would be nothing short of madness

I imagine Scobbies performances until the end of the season will be a factor in a few things

The biggest factor is the fact that Wright is on his last legs unfortunately due to his injury history and the style of his play.

As others have said, I hope the club keep him on in some form of coaching capacity. He deserves it

Unofficial Twitter saying we're in talks with Mannus about a new contact, and that we're looking for attacking players to bring in this Summer.

Great bringing in attacking players; would that be attacking full backs, attacking midfielders or forwards. The bottom line is who will be out of contract at the end of the season and when will we be in a position to offer contracts. I would bet by the time we get round to it the best will be long gone. That is the ones whos salaries we can afford.

I hope TW has identified the players we need to release and who the replsacements are. More importantly he is given the oppertunity by the Board NOW to go and get them. Not when the finances are checked and doubled checked at the end of the season in my opinion by then it will be too late (just like last season picking up the dregs).