Player contracts and transfers

David123

So that's folk writing off Sutton already? Despite him appearing twice? In two really poor team performances?

Utterly ridiculous.

I didn't say I was writing him off. I actually said he might need time to settle but our other new boy did more in 10 mins than Sutton did in 80.

Do you disagree with my evaluation of his performance last night?

Edited by Pat McGroin

I didn't say I was writing him off. I actually said he might need time to settle but our other new boy did more in 10 mins than Sutton did in 80.

Do you disagree with my evaluation of his performance last night?

He's got to have good quality service. He isn't like May. He's a penalty box finisher. When the team is poor he will be poor.

On last nights showing we need a whole new midfield? :-/

No, we need our actual midfielders fit and a couple more signings because we don't have enough midfielders to cope with injuries to starting players. It genuinely pains me that people can't see that last night we were poor in midfield because we had a striker, centre half and a fringe player playing in there. Kane doesn't play left midfield, Brown has hardly had any game time in a year and Tam Scobbie is never a midfielder. That is why we were poor. That is also why Sutton barely got on the ball. I can't believe folk are suggesting he's not good enough based on that. No player should be judged on last night, nor should our prospects for the season. It's freakish to lose all those starting players from one part of the team for the same game.

That's true - and all the more annoying that we were floating balls into the box consistently over the last 20 minutes when he was no longer on the park. Can't understand why he was taken off really.

I can't understand why he went off and MacLean stayed on? Macca kept giving the ball away with hideous first touches.

Kyle we can bring in as many as we want but will ever sign them????

The fact we're looking at so many suggests there must be something available to the manager. Liam Craig is/was a favour but the others are with a view to signing them.

If we don't bring anyone in, then fine, but the signs suggest that we're looking to strengthen still.

i didnt reealise linking play meant you had to pass to Sutton.

He made himself available for passes by making runs and then passing to other available players in the team. Agreed this might not be Suttons game but on last nights performance he contributed a lot more

Well what did he contribute for others aside from Sutton? Any examples of chances his link-up created?

But I think his role is surely intended to be a link-up with another striker. Last night Sutton was isolated - which is remarkable given we listed four forwards on that team sheet. If MacLean's role is no longer a striker - a fair assumption given that he no longer scores goals - it must surely be to create chances for someone else to stick away. He didn't.

I'm not saying that MacLean is a bad player.  He's an intelligent footballer who can do well with the right partner. But there has to come a point when we stop judging him on a Cup final goal and start measuring on more recent performances. And a break - or a period on the bench - could rejuvenate him. My real frustration is that Tommy makes allowances for him that he affords nobody else.

thats the problem with a lot of fans they cant appreciate a simple pass and keeping possesion.

not every pass has to set up a goal. 

People are saying give Sutton chances in the box and he'll bury them . M O'h hit a cross on to his head 6yrds out in the 1st half that he headed wide

thats the problem with a lot of fans they cant appreciate a simple pass and keeping possesion.

People are saying give Sutton chances in the box and he'll bury them . M O'h hit a cross on to his head 6yrds out in the 1st half that he headed wide

I'm pretty sure that was Kane...

I can perfectly appreciate the value of keeping possession. But when chasing a game at home against a part-time, ten-man side  should that be the role of a forward? Smacks of apologism.

Even if bizarre tactics decided that that was his role, did you count how many times MacLean lost possession, or how many moves broke down when he became involved? If so, tell me. I lost count.

MacLean was dropping back and trying to lay off to the midfield regularly but the balls he was getting from defence were atrocious and Alashkert's were playing so narrow and marking so tight that this generally wasn't working.

Ando looked like he'd been at the pub before the game.

He was in the fanzone with us, he buggered off without getting a round in.

That was Kane m8.