Player contracts and transfers

David123

Good point. I thought Hunter was going to be something very special for us. Has he come on in a first team game yet?

My guess would be that the club want to be 100% sure that he is going to be the player that we think he is before they thrust him into the first team...

At the moment he has only cost us £2000 but the numbers increase steadily after 5 first team appearances, 15 first appearances and 5 first team goals... The total sum of the above three elements would be in the region of £15000..

People need to remember hes never played at pro level before...

He wasnt even playing for Spartans, he wasn't just going to walk in and play for us.

And that he's only 18. He has been brought in as a prospect. If he progresses we may start seeing him in first team squads at the tail end of this season/next season.

Are we missing out on technically good players from the likes of Holland, Austria, Czech Republic because we only look here and in Ireland?

Must be loads of players capable of playing in the starting XI and bringing them over on trial surely.

Or Armenian football?

How far does our scouting net go?

Are we missing out on technically good players from the likes of Holland, Austria, Czech Republic because we only look here and in Ireland?

Must be loads of players capable of playing in the starting XI and bringing them over on trial surely.

Not sure what the scouting situation is but I'd be surprised if we have much beyond the UK. When was the last time we signed a player from outside Britain/Ireland?

Dasovic has certainly recommended players to us in the past, and there was a young Canadian guy (Gordon Chin) who came here on trial through that link, but that was all yonks ago now. Sturrock used to love a Scandinavian trialist, but I guess putting them up and never actually finding anyone good enough became a costly exercise after a while.

Can't help but think there must be fast/creative players abroad who'd be affordable and would love the chance to come and play at our level. Finding them is another issue though.

Not sure what the scouting situation is but I'd be surprised if we have much beyond the UK. When was the last time we signed a player from outside Britain/Ireland?

Dasovic has certainly recommended players to us in the past, and there was a young Canadian guy (Gordon Chin) who came here on trial through that link, but that was all yonks ago now. Sturrock used to love a Scandinavian trialist, but I guess putting them up and never actually finding anyone good enough became a costly exercise after a while.

Can't help but think there must be fast/creative players abroad who'd be affordable and would love the chance to come and play at our level. Finding them is another issue though.

But remember how many exotic-sounding European players come over and are actually no better than what we have. 

But remember how many exotic-sounding European players come over and are actually no better than what we have.

Totally true, and I'm not advocating signing players just because they're foreign. But sometimes players from abroad can add something a bit different and unexpected to a team - maybe a bit of flair or athleticism - and that seems to be the kind of player Wright has really struggled to source ever since Day 1.

I think if you look back at certain players like Goran Stanic or Momo Sylla, you can see that there are unknown players out there with great technique who could really add to our game and would really want that chance.

Think Sylla was punted around Scotland and got a trial game - played superbly if I remember. Same with Tommy Lovenkrands. Some you win... But not sure we can credit our scouting network for either. 

Perhaps the Scottish game isn't as attractive money-wise to Europeans nowadays. Certainly fewer in the game at the moment. Maybe we lose a bit of magic, but maybe better for our game long-term.

Think Sylla was punted around Scotland and got a trial game - played superbly if I remember. Same with Tommy Lovenkrands. Some you win... But not sure we can credit our scouting network for either.

That's true - I suspect way more players come in from abroad off the back of being touted by agents, than as the result of being found by scouts. We had a couple of strikers over on trial last summer who I'm guessing were put forward by agents too.

Trying to think who our last signing from a club outside UK/Ireland was and I reckon it might have been a Scot - Kenny Deuchar?