Player contracts and transfers

David123

Tommy in the press today saying that a couple of players are close to extending their current contracts.

So you'd imagine it'll be two from the following list (as these are the only guys actually out of contract in the summer!)

Dave Mackay, Steven Anderson, Liam Caddis, Simon Lappin, Liam Craig, Graham Cummins, Steven Maclean

Some of the younger lads like Craig Thomson and loanees like Gareth Rodger, Scott Brown etc are out of contract too, but I can't see it being them at this stage.

We already know we're in talks with Cummins, so I think one will be him. At a guess, I'd say either Maclean or Anderson will be the other.

Tommy in the press today saying that a couple of players are close to extending their current contracts.

So you'd imagine it'll be two from the following list (as these are the only guys actually out of contract in the summer!)

Dave Mackay, Steven Anderson, Liam Caddis, Simon Lappin, Liam Craig, Graham Cummins, Steven Maclean

Some of the younger lads like Craig Thomson and loanees like Gareth Rodger, Scott Brown etc are out of contract too, but I can't see it being them at this stage.

We already know we're in talks with Cummins, so I think one will be him. At a guess, I'd say either Maclean or Anderson will be the other.

Caddis & Lappin imo.

• 3 weeks later...

Will TW still be after a wide left player?

I suppose Caddis might go.

I was thinking more,Sutton,Brad & Fisher. McKay is a strange one. Tommy saw enough in him to sign him on a pre contract. Apart from the slip at Tynie I never saw him as worse than Fisher but he can't even get on the bench.

If Lappin is fit by then, I think Caddis will leave either on loan or permanently. The biggest indictment of his Saints career is Alashkert at home. We had a 5 man midfield that night of MOH Brown Maclean Scobbie Kane with Caddis on the bench. If that's his status in the squad, he really is fecked.

McKay and Sutton are both on two year deals, but I wouldn't be too surprised if one or both left us. Sutton will be a high earner and he's firmly 4th choice now. McKay is 7th choice defender. I don't think he's made a first team appearance since the opening league match? The signing of Fisher may indicate that Tommy doesn't have much faith in him to be honest.

With regards to new signings, I don't see too many coming in. Perhaps a genuine left winger rather than a wide midfielder. That frees up Lappin and Craig to play in the centre as well as providing competition there. Aside from that, I don't think we need anyone. Indeed, we could shed Caddis and Fisher/McKay and probably still cope ok.

I'm more concerned about new contracts than new signings at the moment. Anderson, Maclean and Cummins should be our priority as theyare up at the end of the season. Would be delighted to see both Anderson and Cummins sign 3 year deals, but appreciate that might be out of scope for the club. Maclean will likely get 1 year, maybe 2 at a push. If we wish to retain Craig, I doubt he'll move on after his experience at Hibs last time. Mackay will be one that'll be settled towards the end of the season and I can't see him leaving us for another club. Whether he wants to retire or not is another matter entirely though. I'd be delighted if all the above were signed up over the next couple of months.  Caddis, Lappin and Brown still need to do more to earn a contract. If their contracts were up tomorrow, I'd release Caddis and Lappin (one isn't up to the standard and the other will be a high earner who doesn't do enough for his money) and possibly keep Brown to see how his loan spell at Dumbarton has affected him. He's apparently playing well, but they are struggling this season.

edit: McKay started the following match against Ross County and hasn't been seen since. Weird one as I thought he was ok that night.

Edited by Kyle

I think Sutton could still have a big part to play for us this season. There's still a long way to go, and there will come a time when we need a goal and we'll chuck him on to be a hero.

McKay's surely a goner though. I wouldn't be surprised if he's already been told he's free to find himself a new club.

Pretty sure Tommy will still be after a left-winger, and losing McKay would free up a wage to do that. Maybe he'll go for one of his previous targets from Northern Ireland?