Player contracts and transfers

David123

Abysmal business from Saints. We're getting weaker every window, all the money in the banks will be whittled away subsidising us as wee make losses due to dropping down the league/down a division again. Needed Brown to bold and strike while big teams were weak but hes missed that opportunity. 

Abysmal business from Saints. We're getting weaker every window, all the money in the banks will be whittled away subsidising us as wee make losses due to dropping down the league/down a division again. Needed Brown to bold and strike while big teams were weak but hes missed that opportunity. 

Or, there aren't any really decent players available for sensible money in this window as the decent players are at clubs who want to keep them. So perhaps we might keep our resources for the new season.

Guest ScottMann

Swanson was signing for us at the last window after he'd negotiated his release from Coventry. There was no rush as a free agent he could sign for us at any time. People were tweeting it was a done deal. Excuse me if I hold back on opening the champagne for a bit longer.

Or, there aren't any really decent players available for sensible money in this window as the decent players are at clubs who want to keep them. So perhaps we might keep our resources for the new season.

Not buying that at all when you see the likes of Gomis joining Motherwell on loan. Folk said the same thing the Summer May left and we ended up with Lappin and Graham on loan. Chairman just seems reluctant to invest in the first team.

I've not seen too many names mentioned that I'd have classed as an inspiring signing. Swanson, if he comes, is probably well short of match fitness so isn't going to set the heather on fire.

For all that the departures have probably not causes major issues. O'Halloran was a good player but we've not seen much sign of that for a few months. Caddis rarely got any first team action and Gareth Rodger was obviously not a big prospect for the club.

Since the weekend we've been going on about the age of the squad and to give the youngsters a chance - Kane, Thomson, Zander etc. This is the time to do that - we've got a leaner "first choice" squad by at least 1, possibly 2 so that gives a couple of more spaces for the youngsters to get a chance. Injuries and suspensions will probably help that.Saints youth policy costs a fair bit to run - I'd like to see us reap some benefits from that than just go out and sign Player X to fill a gap that we can possibly fill from within our own ranks.

Can't say I was expecting to see Rodger released this evening. I was under the impression that he was a good prospect.

rather like Caddis, he's been a good prospect for a while. Comes a point when players want to play football and not just in the reserves I guess. Did he not get a nasty injury playing for Montrose? Doesn't seem to have had much success since.

So, we've released two fringe players and sold one influential first team player. Earning the club some £500,000.

If we only sign Swanson will the extra money be used to get Dow and Alston on pca?

Not convinced we're signing either tbh, both are being linked with numerous bigger clubs.

Seeing as I can't sleep, I've decided to look at the positives. We're now at 19 senior players (including goalkeepers), with Easton currently injured, Fisher being hopeless, Mackays hip giving up on him, Millar unable to last 90 minutes, Muzz unable to go four months without an injury, MacLean unable to play on plastic and Sutton being turned into stone, we're highly unlikely to ever have a fit player sitting in the stand.