Player contracts and transfers

David123

I don't get Tommy attitude towards the younger lads. Kane has not really looked out of his depth, he's hungry and fights hard, Thomson played well on his debut, won MOTM. These guys are the future of the club and need game time now. Saints fanny about too much with the young pups, Stevie May is the only player we have taken a chance on and and he blossomed.  

I don't get Tommy attitude towards the younger lads. Kane has not really looked out of his depth, he's hungry and fights hard, Thomson played well on his debut, won MOTM. These guys are the future of the club and need game time now. Saints fanny about too much with the young pups, Stevie May is the only player we have taken a chance on and and he blossomed.  

But it wasn't really a case of "taking a chance" with May. He'd more than proved himself consistently on loan, improving each year, winning awards and breaking records. He made his debut for Saints in the 2008/09 season and didn't become a first team regular until 2013/14. A lot of people seem to forget the amount of time it took him to him to develop into a player that was ready to start matches for us.

Kane had a fairly lengthy stretch in the first team at the end of last season and scored one goal. Thomson is only in his first season with the first team squad.

Bringing through young guys doesn't mean chucking them into the first team at the earliest opportunity, it means developing them in the correct way (whether that's loans, like May, or exposure to the first team environment, like Thomson). If they're ready then I'm confident that Tommy will play them. But maybe we're just not quite at the stage where our youth system is producing players that are ready to regularly play in the premier league yet.

Give them time.

Edited by Kevin James Is On Stilts

tommy saying we only got 500k cos we only had 1buyer and they were scottish. 

we were the ones who put htat price tag on him.

price him at 1million, no rush to sell a champioship club could come in

You can't force interest. Come the summer, with a year on his deal you would have struggled to get £500k as 6 months later he could sign for free. Great business by the club.

What Championship club would have any interest in coming in and offering that for him after the way he played for us over the last couple of months? We've just gone through an entire transfer window with MOH at the peak of his profile and saleability, and yet not a single one of the clubs rumoured to have been interested in him actually made an offer (except for the one club who we already know are hopeless with money).

If we priced him at £1million we'd be stuck with a disgruntled player who wanted to leave but wasn't allowed to, and ultimately we'd end up getting nothing for him when he went to Hearts/Aberdeen/Dundee Utd at the end of his contract. MOH staying here and sitting on the bench because he's gone in a huff is of no use to anyone. Any of the clubs who could actually afford a £1million fee for him would have taken one look at the way he was playing, and reached the conclusion that he wasn't good enough for them. Saints had no other choice.

I actually think MOH's departure will come as a big weight off the shoulders for both Tommy and the players. They can look forward now, get a bit of a boost from Swanson's arrival, and Tommy can get on with planning who he wants to sign up for next season.

Edited by blueheaven

Guest ScottMann

Credit where it's due. Young Brown has played a blinder to get £500,000 for him. There's something not right about Rangers capitulating and doubling their offer at the last minute but it seems to be the case, especially with Tommy actually quoting a figure. I can't remember Saints ever selling someone for over their value before so these are indeed heady days.

Credit where it's due. Young Brown has played a blinder to get £500,000 for him. There's something not right about Rangers capitulating and doubling their offer at the last minute but it seems to be the case, especially with Tommy actually quoting a figure. I can't remember Saints ever selling someone for over their value before so these are indeed heady days.

Heady days!

I can't get excited about off loading quality players.

But it wasn't really a case of "taking a chance" with May. He'd more than proved himself consistently on loan, improving each year, winning awards and breaking records. He made his debut for Saints in the 2008/09 season and didn't become a first team regular until 2013/14. A lot of people seem to forget the amount of time it took him to him to develop into a player that was ready to start matches for us.

Kane had a fairly lengthy stretch in the first team at the end of last season and scored one goal. Thomson is only in his first season with the first team squad.

Bringing through young guys doesn't mean chucking them into the first team at the earliest opportunity, it means developing them in the correct way (whether that's loans, like May, or exposure to the first team environment, like Thomson). If they're ready then I'm confident that Tommy will play them. But maybe we're just not quite at the stage where our youth system is producing players that are ready to regularly play in the premier league yet.

Give them time.

The problem is they don't get time.

You could see how hard Kane was trying to score last season and the amount of pressure he was under to score obviously had an impact on his performances, he was trying like a bear, almost trying too hard.

May got his chance in the Europe league through luck not because Tommy wanted to start him.

Give them time.

You could see how hard Kane was trying to score last season and the amount of pressure he was under to score obviously had an impact on his performances, he was trying like a bear, almost trying too hard.

May got his chance in the Europe league through luck not because Tommy wanted to start him.

You're trying to argue one point, but making a case for the complete opposite.

Kane got his chance, but he was under so much pressure that it affected his performances? I'd agree, so surely he wasn't ready to be starting games at that stage. Trying so hard but not succeeding, did he have the ability to actually do it? What is there to say that the same thing won't happen to Thomson, who will immediately draw comparisons to MOH (which is a huge pressure at this particular time), but has even less
 first team experience than Kane does, or than Kane did at the time of his run in the team.

Yes May got his chance in Europe and took full advantage of it because he had the ability to. I'm not convinced that Kane or Thomson do at this stage. Surely starting them every week when they're not ready has the potential to hinder their progress rather than actually develop them due to the pressure that you've just spoken about. It's a mental game as much as it is physical these days.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't give the guys a chance, I'm saying that it's probably too early for them to be starting every week. Kane's run proved he's not quite there yet.

Then I think you need to support another team other than Saints who will always  have to sell their better players.

That might be the most stupid comment I've read on this board! 

" I can't get excited about off-loading quality players"  

What's difficult to understand about this?  We will always be a selling club and I have no issues with this - doesn't mean I'm happy about it!

If I need some guidance from someone who has probably seen a 10th of the games I've been to to support my football team believe me I'll be sure to drop you a line since you seem to think your an expert.  

I'm fine with it if we've actually received £500,000 for him.  As noted on another thread however, need convinced that this is actually the case.  I wouldn't have let him leave until we were absolutely convinced the money was in the club bank account.  I'm sceptical that they've been able to go from making derisory offers in instalments to suddenly on the last day providing exactly the figure we are after.  History suggests an exceptional degree of caution should be taken in any dealings with them.

Just a thought on Craig Thompson here that a lot of people on here are not giving him much respect, he is a 20year old man I believe? yet some are saying he is to young to carry out his day job.

Yet if he was in the Army he would be given a gun and told to fight the enemy?

If he was and apprentice Plumber/electrician/refrigeration engineer he would be expected to carry out his job to his full extent.

In lots of cases he will be a father/husband main bread winner for his family!

Yet he is to young to run about for 90mins and play right wing for St Johnstone football club?

Guest ScottMann

Ha! Missed the humor. Think we're all a bit over overwrought with the events of the last few weeks.

Easily done with the written word. I genuinely am still distraught by the events of Saturday though. 

Just a thought on Craig Thompson here that a lot of people on here are not giving him much respect, he is a 20year old man I believe? yet some are saying he is to young to carry out his day job.

Yet if he was in the Army he would be given a gun and told to fight the enemy?

If he was and apprentice Plumber/electrician/refrigeration engineer he would be expected to carry out his job to his full extent.

In lots of cases he will be a father/husband main bread winner for his family!

Yet he is to young to run about for 90mins and play right wing for St Johnstone football club?

Exactly. Too young at a month off 21. This club will never progress if they dont give youth a chance.

Clark,Kane & Thomson are all old enough & good enough. Wrights reliance on ageing injury prone players cost us a place in League cup final.

That might be the most stupid comment I've read on this board! 

" I can't get excited about off-loading quality players"  

What's difficult to understand about this?  We will always be a selling club and I have no issues with this - doesn't mean I'm happy about it!

If I need some guidance from someone who has probably seen a 10th of the games I've been to to support my football team believe me I'll be sure to drop you a line since you seem to think your an expert.  

So you know how many games I have been to do you?

Guest ScottMann

At nearly 21 it's time to be giving regular game time to players like Thomson. Kane is in the same boat.

Thomson may well be inconsistent, but if that's a reason not to pick him, then Spoony shouldn't see much game time for the rest of the season either.

I don't think there's ever been a winger that isn't inconsistent. It seems to go with the job.