Player contracts and transfers

David123

You can't force interest. Come the summer, with a year on his deal you would have struggled to get £500k as 6 months later he could sign for free. Great business by the club.

a young guy on the verge of breaking into the national team  id be surprised if championship clubs wernt keeping tags on him and 1million isnt a lot for these teams. 

It's not a lot if he was on form and had been all season but that's the big issue. His form took a dip a few months back now.

He hasn't been a million pound player the past few months and at 25, he probably only has a few years before the edge comes off his blistering speed. 

As a club, we need deals like these to maintain our level, never mind progress. The club obviously set what they considered to be a realistic and more importantly a fair fee that would allow the player to leave. 

If we held onto him, not only would we be left with a depreciating, unhappy asset but we would be ruining Tommy's whole sales pitch for the club. 

If young players know they will be treated fairly and get the chance to move when one arises and if it meets our valuation. That will be a big plus when it comes to trying to get the next MOH in the door.

a young guy on the verge of breaking into the national team  id be surprised if championship clubs wernt keeping tags on him and 1million isnt a lot for these teams. 

A young guy who had already moved clubs inside his head and was never going to reach the early season levels again for us because of that. All that wouldve happened is he would have been average or "injured" for most of the rest of the season and then joined Rangers for a reduced fee in the Summer.

I actually think MOH's departure will come as a big weight off the shoulders for both Tommy and the players. They can look forward now, get a bit of a boost from Swanson's arrival, and Tommy can get on with planning who he wants to sign up for next season.

A weight which should never have been put on Tommy or the players in the first place but for TRFC's obnoxious style of bidding for players by using PR puff pieces, rumour and innuendo via their compliant MSM outlets. In acting in the manner they did they clearly affected, IMHO, the entire squad throughout the month of December and, arguably, probably cost us an appearance in a league cup final. As for the SPFL allowing somebody to use their official website to further undermine our club well... I can't repeat my thoughts on here.

I'm fine with it if we've actually received £500,000 for him.  As noted on another thread however, need convinced that this is actually the case.  I wouldn't have let him leave until we were absolutely convinced the money was in the club bank account.  I'm sceptical that they've been able to go from making derisory offers in instalments to suddenly on the last day providing exactly the figure we are after.  History suggests an exceptional degree of caution should be taken in any dealings with them.

A good point Al C - the blogger John James intimates as much in one of his threads - of course he may be shooting in the dark for reaction:

"The biggest outlay of the current regime is circa £300,000 for O’Halloran. The hype that Waghorn is worth £3m is nonsense. Too many of his goals are from penalties. Any fee would be in six figures, not seven".

From an Alloa fan on P&B:

A club legend and a solid defender throughout our journey up the leagues. A bit limited at going forward and on initial thoughts I think the Premiership will be a league too far for him. If he focuses on being a defender and not a bombing up the wings right back then I think he might be ok. All the best to him.        

Interesting article with Tommy Wright here on his belief that the club need to open the "purse strings" a bit more - http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/st-johnstone/tommy-wright-hopes-to-invest-from-sale-of-michael-o-halloran-1-4021149

States that we couldnt compete with Ross County in regards to the wages they are paying to David Goodwillie. I attended a Meet the Managers night with him earlier in the season and he talked at length about his frustrations that Dundee and Ross County were offerring bigger wages than us.

Thoughts?

Interesting article with Tommy Wright here on his belief that the club need to open the "purse strings" a bit more - http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/st-johnstone/tommy-wright-hopes-to-invest-from-sale-of-michael-o-halloran-1-4021149

States that we couldnt compete with Ross County in regards to the wages they are paying to David Goodwillie. I attended a Meet the Managers night with him earlier in the season and he talked at length about his frustrations that Dundee and Ross County were offerring bigger wages than us.

Thoughts?

I was just about to post the same article. I agree with TW on this. Manager needs to be backed here imo.