Player contracts and transfers

David123

Where's all this money for May and Moh gone, it's really frustrating I cant remember when we last bought a player for cash. Brown get out your cash and give the manager £500k to sign a couple of quality players it's depressing we sign club rejects most of the time. 

Many of these 'rejects', as you put it, are not cast offs but decent footballers, who have no future at some clubs, because they cannot afford them on the wage bill.

We've had a stream of 'club rejects' over the last few seasons who have contributed to us winning the Scottish cup and qualifying for Europe 4 years in a row.  The only benefit in having a bit of cash is the potential to lure players in January who would be likely to come on a free in the following summer window. I reckon if we'd been in that position Brown would have coughed up without question.

what sort of players do you think would come to saints if we suddenly started spending the money we made from May and O'Halloran. Remember of course that it's a finite resource, because there is no other income stream to maintain that kind of spending.

Edited by montrosesaintee

Fans wanting £500k given to the manager for "one or two signings" don't seem to understand that players who command fees also command higher wages.......trying to get Dow in now and attempting to sign Scougall it's obvious the chairman was supportive of these ventures but they failed for reasons out with our control....

I don't really think that is what some of the posters calling for "splash the cash" meant. I don't think anyone is suggesting that Steve Brown pops half a million in a briefcase and tells Tommy to jaunt off to the English Championship and buy himself a wee star striker... But there is a lot to be said for a player who wants away from their club either at SPL, Championship or English League level that would require relatively small release clause in their contract being triggered before a club will entertain their release. £500000 could easily bring in a couple of really good players that fit into the top end of our wage budget...

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

Does anyone think that our pitch puts players off some of the more skilled players coming here? From general observation, it seems our pitch is bottom 3 in the premier league.

Would some like MOH feel his talent is impacted by our pitch when compared to say Ibrox, causing him to want a change?

Seems there is a lack of excitement from our support as it relates to our team, in terms of entertainment right now. Has our free scoring games from earlier this season occurred on good or bad pitches? Or is this bollox...

Does anyone think that our pitch puts players off some of the more skilled players coming here? From general observation, it seems our pitch is bottom 3 in the premier league.

Would some like MOH feel his talent is impacted by our pitch when compared to say Ibrox, causing him to want a change?

Seems there is a lack of excitement from our support as it relates to our team, in terms of entertainment right now. Has our free scoring games from earlier this season occurred on good or bad pitches? Or is this bollox...

i felt in Mohs inteview this came across several times he mentioned that the pitch at ibrox would help improve his game

Hello my numberwanged friend. Here are some of my thoughts. I've split them into numbers and paragraphs because I'm a fvcking lahoo-se'herrrrr
1) We didn't develop MOH. Development fee references are not relevant in the slightest. Especially not at his age. Because he's an adult.

2) What have Falkirk got to do with anything? Perhaps they need to ask for inflated development fees in order to build another stand onto their pretend lego stadium.

3) United (Dundee?) have a far better, more credible, and established youth setup than Saints do. That adds to the price of any product sold from said youth setup. One we start producing guys that can make the first team, and not bit part players that get released after 6 months, then maybe we can make proper money. It's all about the track record. If you were an English club would you rather buy a youth player from Dundee Utd or Saints? Who has the best pedigree, chum?!

4) 
We have made a million pounds worth of profit from Stevie May. In your opinion we sold him on the cheap. In the opinion of the majority, and also in the opinion of the club, that was the correct fee. How much do you think we realistically should have sold May for at that particular point in time? Be very very specific with the justification of your answers please, including a list of the teams that would have paid that much for him. If nobody was willing to bid £1 million for May (and here's a hint, nobody was) then how would any club have brought in "a couple of million" for him? Stop passing off opinion as fact.
5) Mikey is not as great as everybody seems to think. He can run. That's true. Fast laddy. And good for him for being a speedy boy. But once he gets to that by-line, I'm not sure that he has the intelligence to work out where to play the ball. Run run run run run, corner. We were lucky to cash on him when we did. He will fade as soon as he gets into the Premiership with R*ngers.

no need to be so condescending because we have differing views.

1.yes we didnt develop moh but surely a fee for a star player should be far more than a development fee for a kid who has played a few games?

2.they are not allowed to build a 4th stand

3.i would pay what i valued the player at. i wouldnt pay 2million for spittal cos they have sold some decent youngsters in the last few years

4.probably double the 800k we got for him. 

5.he has clearly been told to cit back to the near post which he has done regularly this season.his final ball has improved vastly

i heard midge say we could have got more for him the other night. folk keep saying its cos we only had 1 buyer. u put a 500k price on him they wont go higher. put a 1million price on him we might have got an extra few hundred k out of that 1 buyer

i heard midge say we could have got more for him the other night. folk keep saying its cos we only had 1 buyer. u put a 500k price on him they wont go higher. put a 1million price on him we might have got an extra few hundred k out of that 1 buyer

...or Sevco might have said no thanks, that's too much, and looked elsewhere. Or waited until he was nearer the end of his contract and got him for a small fraction of that. I get the feeling half a million was very much the extreme top end of what Warburton was ever going to be allowed to spend on a player, given his club's financial situation and the paltry size of the earlier bids.

It'll be interesting to see if MOH goes on to attract a bigger transfer fee than £500,000 at any other stage of his career. I wouldn't be hugely surprised if he doesn't. It might actually turn out to be the case that Saints have got a bloody good price for the guy.

Edited by blueheaven

...or Sevco might have said no thanks, that's too much, and looked elsewhere. Or waited until he was nearer the end of his contract and got him for a small fraction of that. I get the feeling half a million was very much the extreme top end of what Warburton was ever going to be allowed to spend on a player, given his club's financial situation and the paltry size of the earlier bids.

It'll be interesting to see if MOH goes on to attract a bigger transfer fee than £500,000 at any other stage of his career. I wouldn't be hugely surprised if he doesn't. It might actually turn out to be the case that Saints have got a bloody good price for the guy.

you might well be right i just get the feeling other clubs seem to get more for their players. if theses guys say had 18months left id say the clubs would want more than 500k

utd-Spittal

killie-kiltie

accies-crawford

dee-stewart

hibs - cummings

gers-waghorn

celtic - forrest

you might well be right i just get the feeling other clubs seem to get more for their players. if theses guys say had 18months left id say the clubs would want more than 500k

utd-Spittal

killie-kiltie

accies-crawford

dee-stewart

hibs - cummings

gers-waghorn

celtic - forrest

The thing is 541 have any of the above got what they think they would get for the above and are now counting the pounds in the bank, Said before you only get what someone is prepared to pay you and although many on here tried to convince themselves it was not the case the release Fee is now nearly always written into the contract so that if a club meets the release fee then they can talk to the player if the player wishes to do so as happened at ICT (apparently) The higher the release fee the higher the wages you need to pay. I bet  the orcs have a £2M release fee in his contract now as they are paying him the larger wages. and one thing about the above you have forgot to mention Souttar and united they wanted millions and got tens of thousands.    

Souttar could have went to Sunderland two seasons ago for close to £1m (united would not sell) and he ended up going to Hearts for under £100k. That's the chance you take.

The question about buying youth players from United instead of Saints? I would say in the younger groups 13-17 there would be more from Saints.

Edited by sasha

Sasha, in the case of Souttar it wasn't Utd who wouldn't sell him to Sunderland. Utd had accepted the bid but left the decision up to the player i.e. Souttar to decide if he wanted to go, he said No to the move and remained at Utd. As it turns out Utd have lost out in terms of previous money offered, as you said it's the chance you take.

Edited by Jad
Spelling!

Sasha, in the case of Souttar it wasn't Utd who wouldn't sell him to Sunderland. Utd had accepted the bid but left the decision up to the player i.e. Souttar to decide if he wanted to go, he said No to the move and remained at Utd. As it turns out Utd have lost out in terms of previous money offered, as you said it's the chance you take.

Happened to Saints a while back with Danny Griffin too (£1.2m offer from Derby, and he chose to stay at Saints). I think there was an assumption back then that the big money would still come in for him when he was ready to go, but it never happened.

Where's all this money for May and Moh gone, it's really frustrating I cant remember when we last bought a player for cash. Brown get out your cash and give the manager £500k to sign a couple of quality players it's depressing we sign club rejects most of the time. 

There is absolutely no need to ever pay cash for a player at our level when there are more than enough capable players available under freedom of contract every year. 

The only way we'll spend a small fee would be if it represented exceptional  value for money. I'm thinking like £50k for Mackay and Muzz type value. I can see us paying development fees but that's all.

There is absolutely no need to ever pay cash for a player at our level when there are more than enough capable players available under freedom of contract every year. 

The only way we'll spend a small fee would be if it represented exceptional  value for money. I'm thinking like £50k for Mackay and Muzz type value. I can see us paying development fees but that's all.

Exactly! Once you get out of the mindset of expecting us to spend money buying players, supporting Saints becomes less depressing, Tommy Turner.