Player contracts and transfers

David123

Why not a bit of both?

Depends on the quality of the players involved I suppose. We need five or six players, and I'd be disappointed if we sit on deadline day with only two signed. The majority need to be signed as soon as possible. Say we get Watson, Dow, Alston and Coulson all in early doors then yeah, it would be worth a gamble waiting on a Scougall/Fisher type I'd say. But we can't be relying on getting players that late in the day.

The talk of the Craig contract was in the Courier - http://www.thecourier.co.uk/sport/football/st-johnstone/st-johnstone-not-content-with-top-six-says-liam-craig-1.932912

"Craig revealed that talks have begun with a view to extending his stay in Perth beyond this season.

“There was a brief discussion about a new contract a few weeks ago,” he explained.

“That will sort itself out as long as the team is successful. I’m hopeful I will be here next season even though the talks haven’t gone any further.

“Right now it’s a case of finishing the season positively and seeing what we can do at the end of it.”"

CdyLhOeW8AAR4ix.jpg:large

I can't be bothered checking but I'm assuming that's our last 8 games?

Weirdly, we thrashed the team at the top of that league....and, more surprisinly, is that we're only 2 points worse off than Dundee/Partick & Ross County over that time....I thought they were all gaining points on us all over the place.

I can't be bothered checking but I'm assuming that's our last 8 games?

Weirdly, we thrashed the team at the top of that league....and, more surprisinly, is that we're only 2 points worse off than Dundee/Partick & Ross County over that time....I thought they were all gaining points on us all over the place.

I just spotted it on twitter. I think it is the eight games prior to the Hearts game.

Lastest on Alston from Falkirk - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36017303

"The midfielder is out of contract in the summer, but Houston has not given up hope of keeping the 24-year-old, who has been approached by St Johnstone.

"The St Johnstone thing has not been followed up," he explained.

"I've heard there was interest from a couple of other Premiership teams. But, having asked Blair as recently as last week, he said that not a thing had.

"I'd like him to still be available for me next season. It's a long shot because he's sort of got it in his head that he'd like to play in the higher division.

"We might still be able to give him that. What comes with promotion is being able to budget a little bit higher.""

Lastest on Alston from Falkirk - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36017303

"The midfielder is out of contract in the summer, but Houston has not given up hope of keeping the 24-year-old, who has been approached by St Johnstone.

"The St Johnstone thing has not been followed up," he explained.

"I've heard there was interest from a couple of other Premiership teams. But, having asked Blair as recently as last week, he said that not a thing had.

"I'd like him to still be available for me next season. It's a long shot because he's sort of got it in his head that he'd like to play in the higher division.

"We might still be able to give him that. What comes with promotion is being able to budget a little bit higher.""

Is that maybe the player perhaps just telling his manager nothings moved on but secretly he has agreed in principle to join us?

I think we have turned his head to Premiership football but I'd like to sign him asap and get it sorted sooner rather than later. 

Falkirk have a few decent players that would fit into our squad very well.

Sounds to me more like they are not offering what I want and will wait for someone else who does/might. if we are serious about signing these players early I do think there is not much negotiating can take place really you pay what they want and get then signed, or you wait on the clock ticking down. We operate a bit like E-bay . :wink:.    

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/sport/football/st-johnstone/st-johnstone-boss-hopes-for-bigger-transfer-kitty-1.933312

“If you look at it over the last couple of years, we’ve sold someone for £800,000 and another for nearly half a million.

“We’ve brought in over £1.3m and haven’t touched it. It’s been put aside and has helped structure the club.

“So you can get success with good financial planning.

“Even if we didn’t make six, it wouldn’t of made much difference to us financially. But it is important that we got it.

“Hopefully we can use the extra revenue to strengthen the team."

“When I took over the job the budget was cut drastically and has stayed roughly the same the last three years.

“Even with the success we’re not a club who can put the money we’ve gained straight back into the team.”

Edited by garydavidson

“Even if we didn’t make six, it wouldn’t of made much difference to us financially. But it is important that we got it."

Well, that's a load of shite. League place alone is a couple of hundred grand, and the away supports from Aberdeen and Celtic will be better than whoever we would've played in the bottom six.

Atleast £300k of a difference between us making top 6 and bottom 6. Back pocket change for teams in the English premiership, but a massive amount for a club like Saints.

“Even if we didn’t make six, it wouldn’t of made much difference to us financially. But it is important that we got it."

Well, that's a load of shite. League place alone is a couple of hundred grand, and the away supports from Aberdeen and Celtic will be better than whoever we would've played in the bottom six.

Atleast £300k of a difference between us making top 6 and bottom 6. Back pocket change for teams in the English premiership, but a massive amount for a club like Saints.

Does seem an odd comment to be honest...