Player contracts and transfers

David123

Updated to include the five new U20 players confirmed today, all promoted from the youth development scheme.

Goalkeepers

1. Alan Mannus (34) - 2017

12. Zander Clark (24) - 2018

30. Mark Hurst (20) - 2018

------------------------------------------

YT. Ben McKenzie (18) - 2017

Defenders

2. Dave Mackay (36) - 2017

3. Tam Scobbie (28) - 2017

6. Steven Anderson (30) - 2018

14. Joe Shaughnessy (24) - 2017

15. Brad McKay (23) - 2017

22. Keith Watson (26) - 2018

24. Brian Easton (28) - 2017

28. Ally Gilchrist (21) - 2018

36. Liam Gordon (20) - 2017

---------------------------------------------

39. Aaron Comrie (19) - 2017

YT. Jason Kerr (19) - 2017 - On loan at East Fife

YT. Greg Page (18) - 2017

YT. Cameron Lumsden (17) - 2018

Midfielders

4. Blair Alston (24) - 2018

7. Chris Millar (33) - 2017

8. Murray Davidson (28) - 2018

10. David Wotherspoon (26) - 2017

16. Danny Swanson (29) - 2017

17. Michael Coulson (28) - 2018

18. Paul Paton (29) - 2018

26. Liam Craig (29) - 2017

27. Craig Thomson (21) - 2018

44. Eoghan McCawl (20) - 2017

---------------------------------------------------

32. Connor McLaren (19) - 2017

YT. Paul Simpson (18) - 2017

YT. Daniel Jardine (18) - 2017

YT. Cameron Thomson (18) - 2018

YT. Alistair McCann (??) - ??

Attackers

9. Steven MacLean (33) - 2017

25. Chris Kane (21) - 2018

29. Graham Cummins (28) - 2018

33. George Hunter (19) - 2017

-----------------------------------------------

31. Greg Hurst (19) - 2018

YT. Jamie Docherty (??) - ??

YT. Joe Johnson (??) - ??

Edited by RandomGuy

Hes previously said he still wants a defender and a striker, and we've since punted Sutton. The plan is to loan out one of Gordon or Gilchrist, with the other providing cover, although another arrival might change that. Thomson is another who could end up out on loan, but that might depend on how the new lads do and how quickly Wotherspoon returns. McCawl, Hunter and Hurst are all probably being offered around aswell, while McKays future is a bit of an unknown at the moment.

Can only recall him saying he wanted another striker.  When did he mention a defender?

He mentioned it in the courier a couple of weeks back. Wants a striker and 'in an ideal world' a defender. A right back seems most likely to me, given Joe is the senior back up just now, and Comrie will likely head out on loan again.

I'm surprised there's not room for another striker in the budget regardless of loanees going out to be honest. We've got Sutton off the wage bill (albeit with a pay off) so his place is currently up for grabs I'd have thought?

Think we'll most likely end up getting a youngster on loan from down south or one of the old firm.

think with cuptie getting close to fitness defensive we are covered think it will be a striker and possibly on loan maybe a striker that needs game time after a bad injury last season

Is Cup-tie nearing fitness though, and will he get back up up to speed where we as a team are at the minute, these are my worry's with him, These  have been two big operations on his hip I believe it must take a toll on him Dave not being any younger will take a bit longer to get back to speed, It showed how quickly it caught up with Fraz last season to become just of the pace of the SPL, hopefully Dave does comes roaring back and be as good as new but I am always wary of setbacks during training after a major operation wait and see I think , PS I think we are more likely to have Fisher back from Celtic for Right Back if we can entice them/him for another loan period. wait and see how it develops I suppose.       

Is Cup-tie nearing fitness though, and will he get back up up to speed where we as a team are at the minute, these are my worry's with him, These  have been two big operations on his hip I believe it must take a toll on him Dave not being any younger will take a bit longer to get back to speed, It showed how quickly it caught up with Fraz last season to become just of the pace of the SPL, hopefully Dave does comes roaring back and be as good as new but I am always wary of setbacks during training after a major operation wait and see I think , PS I think we are more likely to have Fisher back from Celtic for Right Back if we can entice them/him for another loan period. wait and see how it develops I suppose.       

I'm a huge fan of Mackay but I just have a feeling that this operation and recovery is a step too far and felt that when the news of his operation was first announced. Of course his amazing recovery could have been kept under wraps and he'll unleashed against Brechin or Stirning. If he is fully fit he has to play.

I also happily have Fisher back. Didn't think much of his defensive qualities when he came (and there's probably still some work to do there) but he was a huge asset to the squad towards the end of last season. But we did bring in Watson so he might be expecting to start a few games. Overall I'd be happy to go with a back 4 of Watson, Joe, Ando and Easton for the season with Scobbie and whatever young lads are left providing cover. We are missing a "head the baw" type player in the mould of Wright or Duberry which leads to our main weakness being at set pieces but surely the coaches will recognise this and put a little extra work in that area. 

I'm a huge fan of Mackay but I just have a feeling that this operation and recovery is a step too far and felt that when the news of his operation was first announced. Of course his amazing recovery could have been kept under wraps and he'll unleashed against Brechin or Stirning. If he is fully fit he has to play.

I also happily have Fisher back. Didn't think much of his defensive qualities when he came (and there's probably still some work to do there) but he was a huge asset to the squad towards the end of last season. But we did bring in Watson so he might be expecting to start a few games. Overall I'd be happy to go with a back 4 of Watson, Joe, Ando and Easton for the season with Scobbie and whatever young lads are left providing cover. We are missing a "head the baw" type player in the mould of Wright or Duberry which leads to our main weakness being at set pieces but surely the coaches will recognise this and put a little extra work in that area. 

Agree and although it was a friendly I was impressed with Liam Gordon last week, he looked confident, quite physical and coped with all Bradford had to offer against him so yes quite happy to use the youngsters as you say.    

McKay could be the big no nonsense defender we're after, but his lapses in concentration and him thinking he's Baresi hold him back IMO. Even against Bradford - where he played well - 2 or 3 lapses nearly cost the team goals.

I suggested right back because I'm not sure about Watson's fitness. He's already missed a competitive game through injury and will apparently miss tomorrow night too. Watson missing out means we've got to move Shaughnessy over to right back and replace Watson with a centre back, which unsettles the defence even more.

Fisher would be absolutely ideal.

Guest ScottMann

McKay could be the big no nonsense defender we're after, but his lapses in concentration and him thinking he's Baresi hold him back IMO.

How would he do further forward? A ball playing midfielder with defensive abilities. I know we're well off there this season but thinking more long term. 

Joe is a more than adequate right back, and playing there makes his long throws a valuable weapon, but he's an outstanding centre half in the making, and has the potential to form a partnership with Ando that could last for as long as, and be as successful as the Frazer/Ando one was.  

I'm hopeful that Watson and MacKay between them can cover RB for the season, but that doesn't fill me with confidence as much as Easton and Scobbie being two excellent left backs.  I worry about MacKay's pace for continuing at RB, and think against quicker counter attacking teams he might prove to be a weak link (despite his footballing abilities).

I too would welcome Fisher back with open arms, because he could just be the final piece of a jigsaw to an exciting team.

Edited by montrosesaintee

Theres seems like a decent chance Fisher would be available, but he'll have a few options on I imagine we've signed Watson with the idea he's first choice. Personally, I'd assumed it would be a left sided central defender or left back. If Scobbie or Easton get injured we look very threadbare at left back, so an option there would be very handy.