Player contracts and transfers

David123

What's the figures? would be interested to see what their basic is, what sort of bonus are built in for staying up or a top six finish and how does it compare to Saints

I don't know the exact figures. The wage set ups are fairly similar though, so our highest earners/middling earners will be on roughly the same, the difference comes with the lowest earners, as we've only got one or two youth players in the first team squad, while they shove five or six in to bring their average down.

My point was that Boyce will already be at the top of end of our wage bracket, and we're not enough of a draw to drag him down here without a decent pay rise, which isn't viable. County were willing to spend an outrageous amount of Graham, which coaxed him up there despite a lesser squad role, but we're, thankfully, more sensible.

Although that being said, I wouldn't think twice to cart Kano on loan and release Cummins to open up the wage budget (along with Gormley's freed loan wage) and bring in players on pre-contracts who are still relatively young and have experience in the league. Ali Crawford and Liam Boyce (both 25) are Tommy's sort of strikers. He has spoken highly of them when Saints have come up against Hamilton and Ross County and their consistent performances justify all the plaudits. We could be doing with a double swoop up top and freshen things up a bit, especially given we got creative players in Nige, Tade and Fran a couple years back.) :D

you can only sign players on pre contracts if their contracts are up in summer 2017.

cant find any contract info but alex shalk is a player i like . misses a lot of chances tho i feel he is a better version of kano and realistic

you can only sign players on pre contracts if their contracts are up in summer 2017.

cant find any contract info but alex shalk is a player i like . misses a lot of chances tho i feel he is a better version of kano and realistic

I understand how pre-contracts work.

Just more so thinking on how we could free a wage budget to bring in better player(s) into the squad without making it worse overall, hence why it might be an option to sign a player on pre contract (should theirs be up in the following window) and then put out another developing player, like Kano, on loan to free up some wages prior to the new player coming in. So when they come back, youve got a decent aquisition and hopefully a young striker who's on form.

Alex Schalk looks a decent player as well, would happily have him over Cummins, but I'd take Boyce over both to be on the safe side as he's got more experience in the league.

As said though, it won't happen.

Interesting reading comments about Ross County players and folk trying to compare wages when really none of us actually know what a players wage is. If you look at the accounts for 2015 you will see that they have a wage bill of 2.5 million for an average of 62 staff. 

So probably not much different from saints. It will depend on how deals are structured with bonuses and how if any players are supplemented by jobs via another company etc.

The only folk that know if we can afford a new player is the chairman who if he really wants to fund a transfer will find the money. 

Edited by mainstand

Schalks contract runs out in the Summer. His pace would make him an asset, tbh, despite the fact he misses more than he scores. 

Peter Pawletts deal also expires this Summer, as does Cammy Smiths. Two players we've tried to sign on loan in the past year, in fact Smith was on his way before the Tansey to Aberdeen deal fell through. We'll also have the threat of Ryan Dow signing again.

Pawlett, Schalk, Smith, all players with as poor if not poorer scoring records than Chris Kane. Why do people always look at other teams players through rose tinted glasses?

i mentioned shalk  and feel hes similar to Kane in that hes not a guatanteed starter and misses a lot of chances but never stops running i just feel that if he gets a run in a team like saints he could be a top player . i like kane i just feel shalk could be an imporovement plus realistic option 

I wonder if Tommy is planning a clear-out?

Doesn't sound like it - https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/327159/steven-anderson-back-best-says-st-johnstone-boss/

"Equally impressive in the Caley Thistle and Aberdeen games has been Anderson’s fellow centre-back Joe Shaughnessy.

A new contract beyond the summer has yet to be agreed with the Irishman and Wright is hoping that will be sorted out in the near future.

“I am really pleased with Ando and his partnership with Joe is back to what I expected,” Wright said.

“It has been maturing and it is a partnership I want to hold on.

“That’s why I’m encouraging the club to get Joe signed up again, along with a few others.

“It’s that time of year again when we have to press on with the process because we have several players here we certainly don’t want to lose.”"

Guest ScottMann

It's easy to misinterpret the written word but I sense a growing feeling of major frustration with Tommy about the lack of re-signings. I wonder what his reaction would be if two or three of his named players signed for other clubs before the end of the season.

Guest ScottMann

Totally. And that nobody is on a new contract yet suggests that Stevie hasn't been allowing it despite what Tommy was after. I'm actually surprised that we've let ourselves get to within a couple of weeks of the transfer window with so many out of contract in the summer and free to sign for others shortly. We did well a couple of years ago with signing the squad up so I'm surprised we've gone backwards a bit in that regard. Hopefully Tommy will get what he wants.