Player contracts and transfers

David123

Also, we're one of only two Scottish clubs to approach Scougall, according to a rather ITK person on another site (not P&B). Its not Hearts or Hibernian, and Motherwell are who are suggested.

Apparently had a few offers from League Two sides in England aswell.

Well thanks to the participation of Mannus in the Euro 2016 the club got paid 107490 euros so surely part of this money being paid to him in wages is deserved. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38838606

I would say that would have paid is 16/17 wage so nothing left from that - the other way to look at it, saints are being compensated for the training he has had at the club for that year

The hard fact is that at any club, a small percentage come through the ranks to make a first team appearance, let alone become a regular.

A large number of boys come and go, some ending up at the Forfars, Montose, Clydes of this world, or at Junior football

A clubs return on their investment in youth comes from the one or two they get game time out of and then sell for a decent sum (like Hibs are looking to do with Cummins for example)

Some clubs seem better at it than others, but no club will have a conveyor belt of talent year after year. 

Also, we're one of only two Scottish clubs to approach Scougall, according to a rather ITK person on another site (not P&B). Its not Hearts or Hibernian, and Motherwell are who are suggested.

Apparently had a few offers from League Two sides in England aswell.

I'll be pleased if we get Scougall, but can't help but feel he has string-us-along-all-summer-and-then-sign-for-someone-else written all over him.

I'll be pleased if we get Scougall, but can't help but feel he has string-us-along-all-summer-and-then-sign-for-someone-else written all over him.

He doesn't really have all summer though cause our first game is in a few weeks. Id imagine Tommy will be wanting signings in for when the team is back too training to prepare for the Europa League

He doesn't really have all summer though cause our first game is in a few weeks. Id imagine Tommy will be wanting signings in for when the team is back too training to prepare for the Europa League

This. If he's still stalling by the time we're back training **** him. Hopefully TW has back up plans.

So another prodigious talent 2 years ago is following a lot of other really great prospects out the door.

Anyone shed some light on our piss poor return from the young guns coming through? I'm a huge Kane and Thomo fan but is that the  success ratio nowadays - 3 players including May to years of nurturing. We aren't a buying club so some where down the line we need to start producing good talent instead of relying on an outstanding first team coaching staff who must be on every radar in the country.

May, Thomson, Kane and Clark is a pretty decent return considering all of those players are pre-Stevenson. An £800k international cap, a future Scotland squad goalie and two guys who are well embedded in a top six premiership squad. Guys like Hurst, Kerr, Comrie, Gilchrist and Gordon are clearly highly thought of as well.

Our U17s look the part and a load of them (I think 9) have been kept on. It's not an overnight process, but there's certainly much more promise now than there was even 3 or 4 years ago.

I agree with this but it wouldn't be the first time a player has kept us hanging on beyond the point that we actually need him. Dow and Swanson both come to mind. Even Stevie May's contract situation dragged out for longer than an entire summer, and O'Halloran turned into a bit of a saga too. Even Tade stalled on us and then signed for someone else. They're all different situations of course, but there is a bit of a consistent theme, which is that perhaps we allow things to drag out and don't do our business quickly/decisively enough. Very hard situation for Tommy when players have so much power, though.

SLF is punting not an English River Public Schoolboy pastime and not on the sea??

Have not seen the lad play so cannot comment but remember that there were hints that he was training with us when at Stirling pre signing for Hearts and going back on loan.  That could have been through Cup Tie thouigh.

I saw him when he was at stirling Albion .was at a few of there games .

thanks for your punt observation.maybe you are correct ,not that am really bothered.thanks.

Guest ScottMann

Happy 'new signing announcement to keep the PA happy' day. Wonder if we'll hear anything. Probably not. It'll just be another Thursday then.

Seems Mannus was concerned he wouldn't get to sign for Saints again - http://perthstjohnstonefc.co.uk/news/post/mannus-delighted-extend-stay-saints24517

“I’m delighted to have signed a one-year deal. I didn’t think I was going to get the opportunity to sign one so I’m glad it’s worked out as I’m very happy to stay for another year here. I didn’t want to go elsewhere so when they spoke to me about staying it’s all I wanted to do."

"I’m fortunate to be part of this club and to play here in my career. Why would I want to go anywhere else?"

Reading Alan's comments makes me feel he really doesn't realise just how good a goalkeeper he is. He has been a tremendous player for Saints and I think he could easily have played at an even higher level. It is absolutely fantastic for Saints to have two goalkeepers as good as Mannus  and Clark.

Guest ScottMann

I will be extremely disappointed with Tommy if he genuinely wants Simon Murray to play for Saints. His antics last night were a total embarrassment. 

I will be extremely disappointed with Tommy if he genuinely wants Simon Murray to play for Saints. His antics last night were a total embarrassment. 

Really, were you at the game?! Whilst I would agree that I don't want Murray at Saints ( not good enough ) his antics weren't a total embarrassment. Yes the first penalty appeal wasn't one and he did make a meal of it but the second one was a penalty never a dive. I was there and saw it. On another topic Accies were up to their usual tactics with time wasting, feigning injury and surrounding the officials at every possible occasion. Horrible team and supporters who I would quite happily never see again.

Yeah,there was contact but don't think it was deliberate as the guy cleared the ball & the follow through made contact.

The fact he had dived before & the way he went down for the second probably swayed the linesman.

Bottom line is he is a cheat & not welcome here.