Player contracts and transfers

David123

Cant understand the logic of setting a deadline for Scougall. We're not going to be signing anyone better, so why end your own chances of getting him? Id argue hes worth risking time over considering the strength of squad we have regardless.

People said similar about Swanson, especially the second time we wentafter him, but its turned out more than worth our while to be "mucked about". I think people maybe lose sight of the fact we're not a massive draw for players coming from England, and that finishing 4th and making Europe every season counts for little to most when you could earn 2, 3, 4 times as much elsewhere in the same league.

I'm amazed at Dereck McInnes stating his squad costs 42 grand a week surely it's more than that as it makes me wonder what we pay and I can't see it being less than 35K 

I agree, bit of a puzzle.  Could depend on what he considers his squad or perhaps the clue is in the phrase "my weekly budget".  Is he only counting the basic wages?  There could be add ons such as free accommodation and various bonuses which are not his responsibility.  In truth I don't know but 42k does seem very low.

Let's just nip this in the bud right now. Simon Murray is not and never has been a Saints target, we do not want or need him at McDiarmid.

The 1st and 2nd bit isn't true. The 3rd bit is a bit subjective but I think we could develop him by playing him alongside Macca.

Rumour is Hibs will sign Murray in the next couple of weeks. I know TW likes the ones who have lost their way but we need to cast the net out further. Even watching the lower level teams in Hollands top flight, they have done technically good players. 

I think we miss massively on decent players due to only staying within the home nations. Another cult hero like Sekerlioglu or Baltatcha would be good. 

What ever happened to that Spanish boy we were looking at in January. Decent player but was it a "can't afford him" or "I'm no going there" 

Cant understand the logic of setting a deadline for Scougall. We're not going to be signing anyone better, so why end your own chances of getting him? Id argue hes worth risking time over considering the strength of squad we have regardless.

People said similar about Swanson, especially the second time we wentafter him, but its turned out more than worth our while to be "mucked about". I think people maybe lose sight of the fact we're not a massive draw for players coming from England, and that finishing 4th and making Europe every season counts for little to most when you could earn 2, 3, 4 times as much elsewhere in the same league.

Totally agree with you about Scougall.  We should be prepared to be patient with a lad of his quality.

With regard to Swanson though, I'm pretty sure you were one of those opposed to bringing him back last time. 

Edited by jhq

If Saints were bringing in Simon Murray to replace Cummins or Kane, then it's a signing I'd have been happy enough with but I was hoping we'd be looking for a bit better, although appreciate there isn't much in our predominant market of out of contract Scottish players.

Guest ScottMann

The good news...Simon Murray's going to Hibs.

The bad news...Hibs will probably want rid of Brian Graham. 

The lesson here is to avoid players whose name is two first names. 

Totally agree with you about Scougall.  We should be prepared to be patient with a lad of his quality.

With regard to Swanson though, I'm pretty sure you were one of those opposed to bringing him back last time. 

I think I was yes, although I can't remember why I was against it, probably purely because he'd turned us down for Hearts more than any rational reason.

Pure rumours on Twitter, entirely by Hibs fans, and one Aberdeen fan, not mentioned by any journalist/recognised source, that we're one of the clubs interested in Fraser Fyvie. Not convinced we'd be after a CM, but Millar and Muzz are fairly unreliable options.

I think I was yes, although I can't remember why I was against it, probably purely because he'd turned us down for Hearts more than any rational reason.

Pure rumours on Twitter, entirely by Hibs fans, and one Aberdeen fan, not mentioned by any journalist/recognised source, that we're one of the clubs interested in Fraser Fyvie. Not convinced we'd be after a CM, but Millar and Muzz are fairly unreliable options.

Would rather have Ali Crawford 

I think we miss massively on decent players due to only staying within the home nations. Another cult hero like Sekerlioglu or Baltatcha would be good. 

What ever happened to that Spanish boy we were looking at in January. Decent player but was it a "can't afford him" or "I'm no going there" 

Bringing in foreign players - not so good for our national team or Scottish football in general ... (...in my opinion).