Player contracts and transfers

David123

Guys like Fyvie and Spittal would add strength and depth to the squad. Especially when you consider how injury prone Millar and Davidson are.

We also need to consider a longer term replacement for Millar.

I would also like to raise the question, In you're opinion who would add a goalscoring threat from midfield, Fyvie or Spittal?

As far as I'm aware Fyvie scored 2 goals at Dons and 2 at his parent English club and on the occasions I've seen him he looked good but provided very little end product.

Not seen too much of Spittal, last was in u20 game against Saints at St.Andrews where he was virtually anonymous.

As for Millar's replacement, doubt whether these two could lace Millar's boots.

Not saying that Millar is a goal threat, but his reading of the game and positional sense and composure on the ball more than compensate.

Let's hope he gets over his injury woes.

Edited by HOODLUM65

I would also like to raise the question, In you're opinion who would add a goalscoring threat from midfield, Fyvie or Spittal?

As far as I'm aware Fyvie scored 2 goals at Dons and 2 at his parent English club and on the occasions I've seen him he looked good but provided very little end product.

Not seen too much of Spittal, last was in u20 game against Saints at St.Andrews where he was virtually anonymous.

As for Millar's replacement, doubt whether these two could lace Millar's boots.

Not saying that Millar is a goal threat, but his reading of the game and positional sense and composure on the ball more than compensate.

Let's hope he gets over his injury woes.

Neither have offered much in terms of goals yet. Although Spittal seems to take a decent free kick.  In fairness our midfield doesn't offer many goals presently apart from Liam and Muzz.

With a bit more belief then Alston could potentially be a real goal threat from midfield. Time will tell. 

I don't know if Fyvie and Spittal are even more than simply rumours tbh. 

Even if Midge can regain fitness he isn't able to stop time. Fyvie could be a good replacement.

Neither have offered much in terms of goals yet. Although Spittal seems to take a decent free kick.  In fairness our midfield doesn't offer many goals presently apart from Liam and Muzz.

With a bit more belief then Alston could potentially be a real goal threat from midfield. Time will tell. 

I don't know if Fyvie and Spittal are even more than simply rumours tbh. 

Even if Midge can regain fitness he isn't able to stop time. Fyvie could be a good replacement.

Thanks.

Spittal was probably on the way back from a broken foot when I saw him in the u20 game.

From seeing him on TV, appears more of a winger with a bit of trickery and pace.

Not convinced that Fyvie would improve the team.

Fyvie would improve the team, and I'm wondering how many games people have seen him play in the past three years. He's probably as close to Millar as we're likely to get.

Not sure Fyvie is realistic, Hibs fans are saying he was offered a similar wage by Hibs, but wanted a pay rise. I'm not sure we'll compete with those figures, and he'll end up at Aberdeen/Hearts/League One.

Heavy feeling we've "missed the boat" on Scougall, players like that need signed early to avoid the interest of bigger teams who are losing similar players (I'm looking at you, Aberdeen) although by the sound of his interviews and that he was never going to make a quick decision.

I don't think TW is overly worried about getting players in for first Europa ties, I think we will go with what we have. New players will come in later for start of SPFL season I would guess.

We need to strengthen. We should be ambitious enough to look towards 3rd qualifying round. Alashkert we under performed significantly.

Guest ScottMann

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/440098/chris-kane-can-alter-st-johnstone-boss-tommy-wrights-transfer-priorities/

If Kane picks up where he left off, Wright may alter his transfer priorities before the window shuts.
H explained: “If Chris Kane replicated the goals he got in the Championship there’s a chance we wouldn’t need another striker.

Doesn't look like Tommy intends to sign a striker until late in the window anyway.

(PS - It's strange that one of Steps is now doing Tommy's spokesman.)

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/440098/chris-kane-can-alter-st-johnstone-boss-tommy-wrights-transfer-priorities/

If Kane picks up where he left off, Wright may alter his transfer priorities before the window shuts.
H explained: “If Chris Kane replicated the goals he got in the Championship there’s a chance we wouldn’t need another striker.

Doesn't look like Tommy intends to sign a striker until late in the window anyway.

(PS - It's strange that one of Steps is now doing Tommy's spokesman.)

That's quite disappointing tbh.  It's pretty obvious that we still need another striking option in addition to Kane, MacLean and Cummins.

Can't say I disagree with any of that.  Kane has always had potential, and I read that as a challenge from Tommy for him to step up and make his mark.  I'd rather Kane kicked on and achieved the very best he is capable of, and being the next player to make us some transfer money, than buying in another Sutton or Iwelumo type who fails to reach the standard required despite a better pedigree.

Guest ScottMann

That's quite disappointing tbh.  It's pretty obvious that we still need another striking option in addition to Kane, MacLean and Cummins.

It's very disappointing. He must have forgotten there was a reason he brought in Gormley last season.

Maybe he's trying to save a wage so that he can pay Scougall what he'll probably be after...!

Guest ScottMann

Can't say I disagree with any of that.  Kane has always had potential, and I read that as a challenge from Tommy for him to step up and make his mark.  I'd rather Kane kicked on and achieved the very best he is capable of, and being the next player to make us some transfer money, than buying in another Sutton or Iwelumo type who fails to reach the standard required despite a better pedigree.

I'm sure we'd all like to see Kane progress as a player but we still need a goalscorer no matter what. When we signed Sutton it was looked on as a very good signing but of course it didn't turn out that way unfortunately but any signing can fail to produce at a new club so it shouldn't stop us looking for another established striker.

I think Iwelumo was more of a 'short term, top up the squad with what's available from the 50p bargain basement' style of signing. I wouldn't really class him as a similar failure as not a lot was expected from him and he delivered just that!

If he waits and Kane doesn't deliver or even gets injured then Tommy's going to be scrambling around again looking for someone that hasn't been picked up already. We were promised jewels not imitations so he really should be getting one in now. 

Absolutely.. Macca can't play on plastic and we don't have the luxury of playing Swanson further forward.. we need another striker in or a straight replacement for Swanson.