Player contracts and transfers

David123

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

Is Comrie out for the rest of the season?? I hadn't heard that.

Don't know why you think Gordon isn't up to it, I don't think he's looked out of place and hardly put a foot wrong in the games I've seen.

Disagree about Ando as well, he's still had some very good games, just at times his concentration and decision making have been poor. He's still a very good defender on his day. 

Foster I agree about, a capable player but he's too much of a liability for me in terms of the drama he brings. Tanser as well, has looked very good in some games, but in others has looked like a nervous wee laddie.. I think maybe he just needs a run of games to get his confidence up.

I think with Comrie, Gordon and Kerr emerging, I like the idea of gradually introducing these lads rather than going off and signing a journeyman as a stop gap.

Hamstring injuries are always long term recoveries, he may make it back for a couple of post split meaningless games but I wouldn't hold my breath for him to make some miraculous recovery and oust Foster of his position again anytime soon. 

Dunno, from what I've seen of Gordon I'm not convinced as of yet, time will tell I suppose.

With regards to your Ando comment above,  I'm afraid at this level a lack of concentration and poor decision making is pretty criminal and will cost games. If that isn't evidence enough I don't know what is. Don't get me wrong, I'm not gunning for the guy to be given the boot or anything, hell if he could somehow manage to replicate his form of seasons past I'd be delighted. However I personally feel his best days are behind him and like it or not, he is at the age where professionals start to drop down the leagues for the exact reasons I've mentioned.

26 minutes ago, Dave Ferg said:

Ando is suffering from playing on left side too. 

I noticed this too at the Dundee game, not sure when the switch was made. But Joe had been playing as the left sided CB for much of the season which IMO detracted from Joe's game. May be capitan pulling rank.

Edited by Jenko82

Guest ScottMann
1 hour ago, SaintDougie said:

like it or not, he is at the age where professionals start to drop down the leagues for the exact reasons I've mentioned.

That's quite a generalism. Ando's the same age as Frazer was when he joined us from Killie. Each player is an individual and should be treated as such.

:lol: what has Liam Gordon done to make you have the viewpoint that he won't make it at this level? The boys played about 8 games and hasn't put a foot wrong. Saints fans baffle me sometimes, I blame either the bottle bottom specs or interbreeding.

Edited by andy rhodes fancy watch

With regards to your Ando comment above,  I'm afraid at this level a lack of concentration and poor decision making is pretty criminal and will cost games. If that isn't evidence enough I don't know what is. Don't get me wrong, I'm not gunning for the guy to be given the boot or anything, hell if he could somehow manage to replicate his form of seasons past I'd be delighted. However I personally feel his best days are behind him

Got to agree with this. The number of times the man he is marking is the goal scorer at a set piece is really unacceptable this season. 

39 minutes ago, ScottMann said:

That's quite a generalism. Ando's the same age as Frazer was when he joined us from Killie. Each player is an individual and should be treated as such.

Quite, and as an individual player I personally think Ando is over his best at this level. The only person making comparisons is yourself. 

16 minutes ago, andy rhodes fancy watch said:

:lol: what has Liam Gordon done to make you have the viewpoint that he won't make it at this level? The boys played about 8 games and hasn't put a foot wrong. Saints fans baffle me sometimes, I blame either the bottle bottom specs or interbreeding.

I never said he wouldn't, though I will admit to omitting 'yet' to the end of my earlier sentence regarding Gordon. Or are you just getting your wires crossed with talk of playing levels and particular players mentioned? 

Time to look out your bottle bottom specs Sir

I think we need a winger with pace and a long term replacement for Millar (although that can perhaps wait until summer).

If I'm being greedy, I'd like another defender too. Foster and Anderson have both been pretty poor all season. We only have 4 defenders over the age of 22 so could probably use another experienced player in there.

31 minutes ago, SaintDougie said:

I never said he wouldn't, though I will admit to omitting 'yet' to the end of my earlier sentence regarding Gordon. Or are you just getting your wires crossed with talk of playing levels and particular players mentioned? 

Time to look out your bottle bottom specs Sir

You said Ando was fit for the Championship and Gordon in your eyes  wasn't good enough for a starting place. Why is my question?

33 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I think we need a winger with pace and a long term replacement for Millar (although that can perhaps wait until summer).

If I'm being greedy, I'd like another defender too. Foster and Anderson have both been pretty poor all season. We only have 4 defenders over the age of 22 so could probably use another experienced player in there.

The only problem with that is we push Gordon & Kerr further down the pecking order. We will then have another Gilchrist situation when we pay all their wages for 6 or 7 years then let them go for nothing. I feel if we are going to have a youth policy we have to give it a chance. In the past we took a large gamble with Calum and what happened we got our largest transfer fee.

Guest ScottMann

Quite, and as an individual player I personally think Ando is over his best at this level. The only person making comparisons is yourself. 

Nope. You were the one comparing him to all other 32 year olds professionals.

4 hours ago, Jenko82 said:

I noticed this too at the Dundee game, not sure when the switch was made. But Joe had been playing as the left sided CB for much of the season which IMO detracted from Joe's game. May be capitan pulling rank.

Ando has been on the left since Tanser entered the starting line up, make whatever you want of that. 

Comrie is due back for the cup tie, I'm sure I read he'd started training before the Dundee game.

We've only conceded about five goals directly from set pieces this season, concede majority of goals from crosses in open play.

Wingers definitely the priority. We only have Wotherspoon and Alston as options there, although I prefer Craig on the left than in the middle. In an ideal world we'd get a left winger (Wright/Swanson/MOH) and a central player comfortable on the ball (Mallan) but I can't see us getting that sadly. 

Craig the most productive player in the league while on the left, Paton and Davidson are the two least creative midfielders in the league. 

Just a few stats/thoughts. 

5 minutes ago, saint_markperth said:

Lets be honest this is not going to be a top 6 season, So lets bed Kerr, Gordon, Comrie, Tanser into the team and keep the wages for the summer

I don't see why it can't be, if we recruit properly. The quality of chance we create is top six quality, we're just not creating enough, or getting a finish at the end of it. 

A player capable of finishing the chances, and a wide man capable of consistently creating chances, and we have every chance. 

10 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Is Comrie out for the rest of the season?? I hadn't heard that.

Don't know why you think Gordon isn't up to it, I don't think he's looked out of place and hardly put a foot wrong in the games I've seen.

Disagree about Ando as well, he's still had some very good games, just at times his concentration and decision making have been poor. He's still a very good defender on his day. 

Foster I agree about, a capable player but he's too much of a liability for me in terms of the drama he brings. Tanser as well, has looked very good in some games, but in others has looked like a nervous wee laddie.. I think maybe he just needs a run of games to get his confidence up.

I think with Comrie, Gordon and Kerr emerging, I like the idea of gradually introducing these lads rather than going off and signing a journeyman as a stop gap.

The physio did a video of comrie's rehab which was shared via Twitter. He is back in full training having started his rehab right after the injury. 

Well worth a watch.

Edited by mainstand

8 hours ago, mainstand said:

The physio did a video of comrie's rehab which was shared via Twitter. He is back in full training having started his rehab right after the injury. 

Well worth a watch.

Yes I thought he was close to a comeback, but Dougie said he was out for the rest of the season, so I wondered if I'd missed a recent development.